Maps and food

Archived posts about beaches, sightseeing, entertainment....

Maps and food

Postby Gemma1 » 29 Aug 2012, 22:20

My map had arrived when I got in from work this evening 8-) I think it's a great price considering it includes postage from Athens :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Maps and food

Postby Jan » 30 Aug 2012, 12:01

An alternative, which has walk descriptions as well as a good map, is Lance Chilton's Walks in Symi. I think Adriana and Wendy used to keep copies for sale in the Visitor Accommodation office - no doubt one of them will confirm whether they still do.

You can order direct from the publisher (Marango Books) - see

Enjoy!

Jan
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Maps and food

Postby SueO » 30 Aug 2012, 14:28

Yes, Lance Chilton's book is great - we have a copy but, unless it's been updated (?)I think some of his routes have been blocked/fenced since it was published. Still a good buy though and could be used in conjunction with the 'new' map to provide 'work-arounds'. I particularly like the contour markings on the Terrainmap - helpful (if they're accurate) if the marked path goes 'missing'

Have to admit that our proper walking days are over now (dodgy knees etc.) but still fun to read the map and dream about where we would go if we could! :twisted:
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Maps and food

Postby Gemma1 » 31 Aug 2012, 08:31

I've had the Lance Chiltern book for a few years and I agree it's excellent, though I lost the map on a walk from Agia Marina to Chorio 2 trips ago. I'll be doing a few favourites from Lance's book when I'm back on Symi in 3 weeks. Think I'll miss the Agia Marina walk though, I came across a dead sheep on the track last time - I could smell it from some distance away :( I doubt it will still be there but I've found that walk hard work without dead sheep ;) .
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Maps and food

Postby Adriana » 31 Aug 2012, 10:50

We don't carry Lance's book at the moment as he has not updated it and we have to order quite a large quantity, paid for upfront. Once he has been to Symi again and brought the book and map up to date we will stock it again 8-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Maps and food

Postby Jan » 31 Aug 2012, 11:27

Marengo's website suggests the book was updated in 2010. What that means is anyone's guess though!

I spent a happy half hour yesterday paging through my 'original' copy dated 2002. After years of visiting I don't need a map or guidebook any more, but anything which encourages those who wish to get away from the coast and explore the interior of the island can only be a Good Thing.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to What to do