roman mosaic

Archived posts about beaches, sightseeing, entertainment....

roman mosaic

Postby happyashellas » 06 Jul 2013, 22:38

Where is the roman mosaic and catacombs at Nimborio? I was there today and never knew they existed! Of course, it gives me a perfect excuse to go back.
Oh, and when did they start locking up the yard at St. Georges? Do they really need cctv here? Wouldn't have thought it was a high risk/crime area.
happyashellas
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

roman mosaic

Postby JuliaB » 07 Jul 2013, 00:12

Head along the beach at Nimborio, turn left at rubble track by telegraph pole. A little way along here you'll see steps on left to church. The mosaics are there under a corrugated iron roof. Persevere with the 'locked' gate at St George's. In our experience. it's always open though needs some coaxing as does the door of the chapel itself. Good luck!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

roman mosaic

Postby Adriana » 10 Jul 2013, 08:45

As the route to Nimborio via St George's is becoming increasingly popular St George's church has had more visitors, not all of whom are respectful of their surroundings. As usual it is the minority who spoil it for the majority.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

roman mosaic

Postby JuliaB » 10 Jul 2013, 19:55

How sad to hear about the disrespectful minority, Adriana. St George's is such a special place and I'm sure there'd be many walkers who would miss a watering stop in that peaceful courtyard were it to be locked on a regular basis.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to What to do