How windy is too windy?

Archived posts about getting to and from Symi

How windy is too windy?

Postby Mary » 10 Oct 2008, 10:35

Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome!
My husband and I are due to make our first trip to Symi for the last week of October and I've been reading such a lot of useful information on this website since we booked our holiday. Its great to know such a lot before we come.

We've booked through Olympic Holidays and a couple of weeks ago they rang to let us know about the change in weather on Symi-presumably what I've read about in Adriana's blog. Olympic warned us of the possibility of not being able to stay for the full week if the weather threatens to become too windy for the ferry crossing. Since then I've been anxiously checking the metcheck website looking at forecast windspeed on Rhodes, thinking it looks fairly calm to me, without really knowing what strength of wind would be considered too windy for ferries to cross! I know there's nothing we can do about it, but I'd like to know whether things look promising or not. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Mary
Mary
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

How windy is too windy?

Postby Allan » 10 Oct 2008, 10:50

Hello Mary and welcome

Tricky question this and Adriana, our Symi-based sailing expert isn't around to give the definitive answer.

The bigger Symi ferries like the Proteus can sail in worse conditions than the smaller ones. In particular the Aegli hydrofoil is always the first to be cancelled in poor weather.

Another problem is that Rhodes harbour isn't fully protected from the effects of the weather so there are times when the larger ferries can sail but are unable to safely dock in Rhodes.

The wind direction as well as strength is a factor too.

Tour companies tend to err on the safe side, particularly on the return trip so if there is a chance of the Symi - Rhodes ferry not running they will get you off the island early to spend a night on Rhodes rather than risk you missing the flight home. This happened a couple of weeks ago when there was a storm forecast that may have caused the Sunday morning Aegli to be cancelled so the tour companies used the Saturday afternoon Symi II ferry to get their clients to Rhodes.

Sorry I can't give you an accurate answer but rest assured that whatever happens you will love Symi.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

How windy is too windy?

Postby maziemoo » 10 Oct 2008, 17:12

Hi Mary

having done a recent trip and relying on the Aegli I was told by an islander who's brother sails the Triton to Turkey, that with a wind force of 2-4 all vessels will sail, force 4-6 the bigger vessels will still sail and even the the Aegli and Dodekanisos Pride might sail, anything over and above force 6, most if not all will not sail.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

How windy is too windy?

Postby David » 10 Oct 2008, 22:00

Hi Mary

I have been out to Symi for the Panormitis festival which is on November 8th. Once it took two days on Rhodes before I could get across, the other times it has been OK. Unfortunately you are in the lap of the gods. Sorry it is not much more use other than a bit of backgriound info.
David
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

How windy is too windy?

Postby Mary » 12 Oct 2008, 23:12

Thank you all very much for your replies. I feel much better informed of the situation now. I had wondered if wind direction would be a factor too. I'll keep a look out on the weather/wave forecasts and hope that the gods decide to smile on us.

Whatever happens, we're very much looking forward to our trip and seeing some better weather than we've had this summer in the UK!

Mary
Mary
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

How windy is too windy?

Postby Adriana » 20 Oct 2008, 11:03

To answer your question about wind direction, Mary, this does have a bearing on things in that a strong westerly component to the wind i.e. anything from North west through to South west can kick up a big rolling swell in the Rodos Channel which is why the old-fashioned Aegli hydrofoil often has problems 'getting up on the plane' in conditions where the high speed Dodecanese Seaways catamarans can still run, even though officially they both have the same rating.

You are more likely to be coming over on one of the ferries and things have to get really bad before they are cancelled so you are unlikely to have any problems. The holiday companies have to make sure that they have warned you as in these litigious times they can no longer make false promises about 100% sunshine!

Enjoy your first holiday on Symi and who knows? You may join the growing band of repeat visitors!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

How windy is too windy?

Postby Tove » 21 Oct 2008, 18:14

I was out on the sea today and it was so beautiful, sunny, the sea calm like oil, perfectly warm, I have never had an October so late like that, so just relax, it might be some great holidays you will have so just enjoy!
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

How windy is too windy?

Postby Mary » 21 Oct 2008, 21:16

Thank you for the information, Adriana. I can see that the holiday companies are likely to err on the side of caution to cover themselves, as you say. I think I'll be cautious too and put some 'Sea Bands' in my bag!

Maziemoo, we're actually flying on Saturday evening and crossing to Symi on Sunday morning, but I AM very excited already. Thanks for your good wishes.

Tove, you make it sound wonderful. Saturday can't come soon enough!
Mary
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Travel