Arriving Rhodes early hours - what to do?

Archived posts about getting to and from Symi

Postby valr » 11 May 2010, 20:43

Hi, we're arriving in Rhodes Town at approx 1am-ish on Sunday morning 30 May and catching a ferry from Colona Harbour at 9am. Bearing in mind we'll have 2 cases with us, does anyone know if there'll be any cafes/bars etc open for us to while away the hours - or should we just find a bench near the harbour and wait for dawn? Thanks, Val :)
valr
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Oor Willie » 11 May 2010, 21:33

We usualy book a room for the night even if it's only a few hours but last Sept. we didn't bother as our flight got in at 3 and we were on the 8.30 ferry bad move we ended up sitting on a couple of chairs at the Dodecanese ticket office guarding our cases as nothing was open and if it was not for one of the local fishermen making us a coffee on his boat it would have been a totaly miserable night we have vowed never to do this again we will book a room even for a 5 hour wait. in fact just booked the Carina hotel on travel republic €18.00 for double room B and B for 2nd June as we arrive at about 11pm and will be on the morning boat after a meal some drinks and 4 or 5 hours sleep refreshed and ready for Symi
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 11 May 2010, 23:28

Hello Valr. When I did a night flight with Kosmar (R.I.P.) we were dumped at the Konstantin hotel but walked a short distance from there and found a Swedish Bakery cafe which stayed open all night. I've tried Googling this and come up with the Klinglan Swedish Cafe, address: 14 Ionos Dragoumi street Rhodes. I'm not sure whether this was the one we visited - it was dark and I was tired! Not a great deal of help I'm afraid.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby tich » 13 May 2010, 16:11

Does The Hermes still allow tourists to leave their baggage there until their ferry is available ? We've done this before but not at that time of night. This might be an option so that you could atleast have a walk round 'luggageless' ?
tich
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 13 May 2010, 16:30

There are several Swedish bakery cafes in Rhodes Town, I think at least 3 are open all night. Last October a friendly taxi driver bringing me from the airport about 6am suggested that going to the one in Orfanidou street, near the Hotel Alexia, was the best bet, rather than hanging round Mandraki/Nea Agora waiting for something to open. I think this actually has another entrance off Akti Miaouli, the western seafront road that runs round the tip of the island past the Aquarium. His idea was that the cafe staff would phone for a taxi to take me to the port (Akandia in this case, so a taxi would be necessary for the luggage) when I was ready to leave. This branch definitely is open 24 hours, but most unusually in Rhodes is self-service, you do need to go to the counter to order and collect your food and drinks. Superb cakes and pastries! Hot food is also available.
As my ferry wasn't until 11am, I did eventually walk (or rather trundle my case) across the New Town to the Mandraki area because I got bored sitting in one place, and picked up a taxi there. With an earlier ferry (8.30 or 9.00)the original suggestion would work very well. I expect that all the taxi drivers who work at night know how to find this place, and probably go there themselves.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Thegeocachers » 15 May 2010, 23:32

Andy, that sounds like an option for us - thanks! We're arriving at 04:15 on our next visit and will have a few hours to kill before the 08:30 Dodekanisos. I'm waiting for some ideas from Wendy/Adriana re- what to do. We'll have luggage and the littluns (aged 4 and 8), so any other good ideas (apart from pack the 'DS's) much appreciated ! Ideally we'd lose (not literally I hope) the luggage and have a walk around the old town then grab breakfast somewhere before heading to the Dodek Express. Kojak ... we must have a frosty one before you head off !

And don't forget folks, there are lots of Geocaches on Symi to take you to places that you may not have been ;) Check out :)
Thegeocachers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Travel