Avoid Domus Hotel in Rhodes

Archived posts about getting to and from Symi

Postby D and E » 25 Sep 2010, 12:29

Just in case anyone has to stay overnight in Rhodes and is tempted by the bookings.com reviews of Hotel Domus in the Old Town. The reviewers must either be 14 years old, deaf or the owners. Its nice and easy to find and is very handy for the Dodec next morning BUT ..... :o

We arrived around 10pm and everything seemed fine... and quiet. We went to our usual bar that we visit when in Rhodes and then to a restaurant that we found in May and liked very much. Amazingly the waiter remembered us and sat down to chat. When we told him where we were staying he laughed :D a lot.

On returning to the hotel around midnight we found out why - we were in the middle of an area where each bar was raising the volume of their techno beat music and an attempt to outdo each other. :twisted: This went on until 5am - E actually slept through it :o

Looking back now we laugh and it was all part of the adventure but be warned :(
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby ElleJay » 26 Sep 2010, 14:57

I'll keep that in mind as we loved Rhodes old town and would like to stay there, but are a bit dubious as to what it is like at night. We had similar experience in Symi on harbour front lovely until 11.30pm and Vapori pumped up the volume til 2.30am, ridiculously loud and no competition so really don't know why. So my word of warning don't stay on the harbour front, just 100yrds or so to the left of Symi Visitor offices, I should think the apartments above the Gold shop had it bad too. We are now investing in a good pair of ear plugs to drown out everything for any future holidays. :-)
ElleJay
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby nicola » 15 Oct 2010, 12:53

I can recommend the Atlantis City Hotel in Rhodes. We stayed overnight and it was great.
Cost 7.50 euros for taxi to Kolonna harbour.
nicola
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mikegadd » 15 Oct 2010, 19:00

Jo and I stay at the Lydia in Rhodes new town these days-nicer and cheaper than the Plaza (no pool though). Handy for Mandraki/Kolonna. Left-luggage facilities of course. 40 euros a night including breakfast at half-term when we are going for a weekend break. 8-)
mikegadd
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Travel