first visit - sort of!

Archived posts about places to eat and drink on Symi

first visit - sort of!

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Jun 2009, 19:26

Hi. I am taking my son and daughter plus son's girlfriend to Symi in September. We spent a day on Symi when we stayed on Rhodes 6 years ago and we all fell in love with the island and are delighted to be going back. We want to take in the local restaurants but also want to make use of the beautiful villa we are in. What is the situation in getting fresh fish and salad things for a bbq 'at home'? We will be up in Chorio. All tips gratefully received.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

first visit - sort of!

Postby ola » 08 Jun 2009, 20:52

Welcome to the chat page snoopy2,
Salads, fruit and vegetables are abundant in several small and big stands and "supermarkets" in Yalos and Horio. There are two butchers down in the harbor and at least one upstairs. Two bakeries downstairs and another two in Horio.

As far as I know there are no outlet for fresh fish. The "fish market" outside the Customs House is not in use, at least not in the summer months. However the boats come in every morning around seven and they sell their meager catch of the boat whilst drying and bringing order to their nets and chatting.

Most of the fish sold in the restaurants are imported from more distant shores.

Apart from fresh fish which might be difficult you will have no problem getting whatever you wish for an excellent dinner in the house.

Enjoy!
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

first visit - sort of!

Postby snoopy2 » 09 Jun 2009, 08:56

Thanks Ola. All useful info and will scribble it all down in our 'save faff time on holiday book' so much easier to get the best of a holiday if you are not faffing about. Glorious sun here in ne Scotland but still can't wait for September in Symi.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Food and Drink