Bars on Symi

Archived posts about places to eat and drink on Symi

Bars on Symi

Postby davedunbar » 12 Jul 2011, 15:07

Hi, I'm a brand new Forum member and will be visiting Symi for the first time next week.
Lot's of great and helpful topics on here, but I wondered if there are any recommendations relating to Bars only, rather than Taverna's (if there is such a distiction?)
Pachos sounds great, and I've heard about Jean and Tonic's? Any comments?

Many thanks
Davedunbar
davedunbar
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Bars on Symi

Postby Andy W » 12 Jul 2011, 17:06

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy your visit to Symi. There are different licensing categories - Kafenion, Cafe-Bar, Taverna etc but on Symi it's often difficult to tell which is which without asking the owner. At the moment Symi has a major heatwave and that means you probably don't want to spend too much time walking up and down between Yialos and Chorio, though both are extremely well supplied with places to have a drink, and either air conditioning or outdoor seating are a must.

Just in Chorio there are at least 10 bars, including Jean and Tonic (also known as the 2As) and they all have outdoor seats, air conditioning, or both. Each has its own personality - the Kali Strata Bar for the view and mellow music, Lefteris and Yiannis, and Rainbow next to each other below the square for meeting just about everyone in the area, Sunrise for cat watching, and so on. Of course the owners/bar staff are the main factor here, along with the other customers. Some like the 2As stay open until dawn but start late, others open all day but close around midnight.
I'll let someone else make suggestions for Yialos - where the choice is overwhelming.
It very much depends what you look for in a bar - cheap beer and ouzo or elaborate cocktails, Greek music or international music or no music, sport on TV or people talking together. You'll find it all on Symi. Do ask more detailed questions, we all love talking about the place.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Bars on Symi

Postby Kojak » 13 Jul 2011, 09:36

Elpidas along towards the Clock tower is a nice place to sit and watch the harbour scene. The Indiana is up the side of the square in Yialos, just before the Town Hall. It's a quieter place with very comfy chairs.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Bars on Symi

Postby AMPY » 13 Jul 2011, 13:17

In Chorio - Rainbow or Lefteris for meeting and greeting. But also a few steps further down there is a bar with rooftop seating giving great views toward the harbour. (Can recommend the Mojitos...)
AMPY
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Bars on Symi

Postby davedunbar » 14 Jul 2011, 09:42

Thanks for all the replies - sounds like we won't be short of options! Really looking forward to our first trip to Symi - Father in Law has been a regular for 20 years and he's been helpful source of information, but struggles to remember details - maybe that's the Retsina?
davedunbar
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Food and Drink