Favourite dishes?

Archived posts about places to eat and drink on Symi

Favourite dishes?

Postby FLO » 11 Jul 2011, 23:04

Hello All

September is getting nearer and I am getting more excited by the day!

Can anyone recommend stand out meals you have eaten this year or last, in the tavernas.

I love moussaka and cremated lamb chops,Allan loves stifado and grilled liver - so any advice on the best place to sample these would be great too.

Efharisto

A hungry Flo x
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Jul 2011, 23:19

I love Georgios up in Horio. I've never had stifado there but they do a lovely beef in Metaxa :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby FLO » 11 Jul 2011, 23:49

Hi Gemma that sounds lovely - will put it on the list, alot of people seem to recommend the stuffed peppers from Georgeios too.

My perfect lunch is :) calamari or whitebait/gavros,cucumber and tomato salad and taramasalata. Any reccomendations.......
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Donna Allison » 12 Jul 2011, 00:50

FLO wrote:
Hi Gemma that sounds lovely - will put it on the list, alot of people seem to recommend the stuffed peppers from Georgeios too.

My perfect lunch is :) calamari or whitebait/gavros,cucumber and tomato salad and taramasalata. Any reccomendations.......

Try the Point for the best whole calamari and humus.
Donna Allison
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby snoopy2 » 12 Jul 2011, 09:30

:D Daughter and i had a lovley meal down on Pedi beach. Tables set out on a platform looking over the bay. Go right to the end of the road at Pedi - pass the taverna - or go in and have a pre-dinner drink then hold on to the very end of the road and wallah another taverna. Food was excellant and the setting wonderful and quiet. :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Sunshine » 12 Jul 2011, 18:07

...Meraklis for stifado...Yiannis for gyros...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby AMPY » 12 Jul 2011, 19:58

For any other veggies out there, favourite meals this year were the Windmill in Horio - Lentils, lemon potatoes and courgette fritters plus lots of other choices. Also Tholos (past Harani, near Nos beach) Fava and blue cheese salad. (Tholos still retains its award for best loos on Symi!)

Note, these are NOT vegetarian restaurants - they have plenty of options for all you carnivores

Kali orexi
AMPY
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby FLO » 12 Jul 2011, 22:10

Thanks everyone - some great suggestions - looking forward to trying them all. Dimitris seems to be also named 'mr Tasty' - thanks for the tip off as we might have been put off by the name. This is what makes forums like this invaluable, Keep the suggestions coming please ......

Thanks
Flo x
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Kojak » 13 Jul 2011, 09:31

The Windmill special salad - very like the one at Mythos. I could eat a bowl full of that!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Colette » 13 Jul 2011, 14:03

Trawler and Myracles( spelt wrongly)in Yialos and Zoe's in Horio are recommeneded in addition to the others already mentioned. And of course Mythos on the roof which overlooks the harbour in Yialos where Stavros produces excellent food which is different from the usual taverna fare. Always a treat not to be missed when in Symi.So you see Flo you'll be spoilt for choice :)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Andy W » 13 Jul 2011, 15:10

Dimitris being called "Mr Tasty" goes back quite a few years. He used to lead a nomadic existence occupying the site he uses now near the bus terminus only in the summer, and one in the same street as Meraklis in the winter. For some unknown reason the "Mr Tasty" sign was on the building he used in the winter, when almost all the customers were local, and not on the one the tourists visited. Once the heavy duty transparent plastic drop-down screens arrived on Symi, he was able to use the one site all year round. About the same time the Port Police moved offices, giving him an extra regular source of lunchtime customers - it's their nearest eatery. The food is good, the year-round operation means the locals must think it is good too, and the "Mr Tasty" sign is nowhere to be seen.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby annadev » 14 Jul 2011, 23:01

We love the Windmill. In nearly a month on Symi, we probably ate there at least 5 times. The young chef is enthusiastic and innovative, and there is an emphasis on local ingredients. She takes traditional Greek food and modernizes it a bit. We found the staff very welcoming and the atmosphere relaxing. Highly recommend.
annadev
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby snapperjon » 15 Jul 2011, 08:44

Gyros Mythos from the place next to the spice stall near the Customs House - forget the name. Was �4.50 last year. Cheap, nutritious, delicious. 8-)
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby FLO » 16 Jul 2011, 10:02

Thanks everyone - great suggestions! Looking forward to sampling them all when we visit in September. Flo x
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby snoopy2 » 16 Jul 2011, 10:08

:) I have had some lovely meals during the day at the tavernas on the beaches. Not always a huge meal because of heat and also to be really hungry for night but even sharing a huge Greek salad after a morning walking and swimming is great - tastes so different in the sun and each beach taverna is different. Hope you have a wonderful time - we always do! 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Nick » 16 Jul 2011, 12:14

Do any of the taverns a make a spicy Tirokafteri?

Are there any places to avoid eating in if you have young kiddies?
Nick
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Kon » 16 Jul 2011, 12:31

Most places will cater for families with young ankle biters ,i had my 4 year old eat at many of the eateries in Symi with no problems ,some even allowed him a tour of the kitchen. :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Favourite dishes?

Postby Nick » 16 Jul 2011, 12:50

Thanks for your feedback Kon.
Nick
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Food and Drink