places to eat - NOT expensive

Archived posts about places to eat and drink on Symi

Postby lotte » 09 Aug 2011, 11:15

Hello everybody.
I would like to know the names of some restaurants where it is good and not expensive to eat. Ive just read that it can be very expensive in some places. Or is it only alcohol that is expensive.?
thank you.
Lotte
lotte
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Kojak » 09 Aug 2011, 12:04

Hello Lotte. For cheapness I would recommend the Neraida and Dimitris (also known as Mr Tasty's), both in Yialos, the harbour area. You will get a good meal at both for a very reasonable price. Meraklis, also in the harbour is also very good value for money. For a cheap and good lunch I'd recommend a gyro, either from Yiannis along the quayside or the little gyro shop by the bridge.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby snapperjon » 10 Aug 2011, 08:26

Hi Lotte, welcome to the forum.

I think Kojak means this place - just behind the customs house at the top end of the harbour, next to the wonderfully smelling herb stall. It'll be one of our first stops when we get there in a couple of weeks - gyros and Mythos for �4.50! This is what God has for breakfast.

snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 10 Aug 2011, 09:50

:) Yeah great place but we noticed the owners were not too keen on the many cats and kittens who tour the tables. Being committed and certifiable cat lovers we learned very quickly to be sneaky about the odd morsel being dropped!!! :geek:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 10 Aug 2011, 22:11

Meraklis behind the harbour; Dimitris at the bottom of the school steps; Pizza and Pasta (Dolphin) just over the bridge at the harbour; Trawler - harbour side are all reasonably priced and have a wide price range across quite a wide menu. As a guide we normally pay around �30 to �35 in these places (Dolphin closer to �25) for the two of us with starter and main course, water, bread, and a half kilo retsina. Many places on Symi provide a complementary piece of fruit or cake to finish your meal.

Gyros is great value for money.

Manos Fish Restaurant at the harbour side can be very expensive although there is always a great atmosphere there.

Unlike many British establishments prices and menus are readily shown at tavernas so you don't have to go in sit down and then leave when you find the offerings don't suit.

Have fun :D :D :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Food and Drink