Here we go again

Chat about anything else

Here we go again

Postby Colette » 29 May 2010, 21:04

Appalling to learn that the guy who has just announced all the public sector cuts has been found out to have been feathering his own nest for years.The plot thickens, just heard on the radio that Mr Laws has stood down from his ministerial job, he didn't realise he was doing anything wrong!!!!How long until the next election?
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Here we go again

Postby snoopy2 » 30 May 2010, 11:51

:?: With a bit of luck November. Stability just ain't there nor is the confidence of the country and they MUST know it. :(
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Here we go again

Postby maziemoo » 30 May 2010, 21:30

you do wonder if there's ever going to be an end to all this don't you Colette?

[quote="Colette"]

Appalling to learn that the guy who has just announced all the public sector cuts has been found out to have been feathering his own nest for years.The plot thickens, just heard on the radio that Mr Laws has stood down from his ministerial job, he didn't realise he was doing anything wrong!!!!How long until the next election?
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Here we go again

Postby Colette » 30 May 2010, 22:40

Yes I wonder too Maisie, my bets with Snoopy 2, November at the latest. In the meantime I don't really give a hoot as I'll be in Symi on June 9th and after my 2 weeks will only have 6 days at work until I retire - as Yogi used to say yabba dabba doo :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Here we go again

Postby MacDuff » 31 May 2010, 01:53

Hello, hello, hello! The British public decided that they didn't want a majority government but prferred a coalition. The largest elected party formed a coalition with the supposedly squeaky clean Liberal Democratic party. So I suppose the answer is for the party with the by far the largest number of seats to form a minority government. I guess all this harks back to the period under Blair and Brown when the expenses racket was in full flow including Labour Cabinet Ministers. Just for interest, we have had a successful minority government since January 2006. The Conservatives were elected following the biggest political scandal in Canadian history when it was revealed that the Liberal government had been chanelling funds from public monies to itself through promotional consulting companies. Being fiscally responsible, our minority government has succesfully led Canada through the recession.
I have to agree, that perhaps a snap election in the U.K. would result in a sufficiently reduced vote for the Liberal Demorats, for the Conservatives to hold a majority and be able to commence upon reducing the massive deficit and debt which form Mr. Browns legacy. Or do I miss something?
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Here we go again

Postby snoopy2 » 31 May 2010, 14:18

:o Not so sure after a snap election it would mean an outright majority for the cons!!! They have already shown colours that the grey vote and young people with families do not like. I do think however the Lib Dems would be given the heave ho - and rightly so but i think a November election would be a straight run for the post between labour and Cons and who knows!! :?:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Here we go again

Postby maziemoo » 31 May 2010, 15:12

[quote="Colette"]

I'll be in Symi on June 9th and after my 2 weeks will only have 6 days at work until I retire - as Yogi used to say yabba dabba doo :D
[/quote]

Retire Colette, my recollection is that you don't look old enough to retire :) ....you lucky girl, does that mean more time will be spent on beautiful Symi? 8-)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Here we go again

Postby Colette » 31 May 2010, 18:22

Thanks Maisie, I seem to remember we've only met at night!!!

I've another 2 weeks in Symi in September and a trip to see my pal Marcia in Zakynthos in August, plus a few weekends in the UK to look forward to.Oh yes, and Marcia will be home for the first time for about 6 years to spend Christmas and Next Year at mine and Lynn will be travelling with her from Symi to stay with me before she goes off to mum and dad's.Also, snow willing, we'll be meeting up with Wendy and Ged when they are up north.And who knows we may also meet up with some other old Symi friends when she's here.With a bit of luck I'll hopefully be looking to stay longer on Symi next year and have a bit of a mooch round some of the other Dodeconese islands, sheer hell, don't know how I'll cope but after 41 years and 11 months as a wage slave I reckon I deserve it.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Here we go again

Postby MacDuff » 07 Jun 2010, 09:03

Well Snoopy2, I agree that the electorate are fickle, and it was surprising for an overseas observor that Gordie Broon managed to get so many seats having brought the U.K. to it's financial knees with ten years as Chancellor and three as an unelected Prime Minister. But you may be correct, that "New" labour having left as a legacy the biggest debt in British history, the pound at it's lowest level in history, unemployment at over two and a half million, that "Newer" Labour could manage to buy the voters by creating an even bigger debt and to hell with the future of what was once regarded as an important country in world terms. Of course one understands that "blind mice" can be tempted with cheese, but if the British electorate were to re-install the "Newer" Labour, the IMF would not be far behind. The reality is that the British electorate would be wise to understand that their country is in a massive hole, that a lengthy period of austerity in essential and that is the bitter pill following a prolonged period of profligacy and excess of public spending. But you may be right and someone may be elected to finally balls it all up. If so, the electorate deserves what it gets. But just wait until that devaluation of the pound catches up and the British electorate understand what "New" Labour achieved. Those blind mice could end up poorer than their proverbial church cousins. One of the odd things about British politics is the "resentment" factor which appears to persuade people to vote against a party rather than for one. The British "class" system hang-up.

In Canada, we adopted a LAW! that no individual or business can contribute more than $1,200 per year to any party. It works very well, because politicians can no longer be bought by companies or unions. It takes individuals voters to give a party any form of financial advantage. I commend it! Yes, political contributions are very carefully monitored by the electoral commission, and parties have to return to the donar, any annual contribution of over %1,200 That levels the political "playing field".

As an ex-pat Scot, I wish England every success in the World Cup :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Here we go again

Postby snoopy2 » 07 Jun 2010, 10:18

Maduff - i agree with some of your points. But...... Here in Scotland - after far too long - we have our own Parliament and Scoltand's economy is in fairly good nick. Could this be why i champion a snap election and hope that the cons go - only one seat in the whole of Scotland! Many here are rumbling about not voting for any of the major partys next time round but going for the Nationalist vote so that our parliament can rule for the Scots by the Scots. Can i also emphasise that we are in a world wide recession - one brought on by over the pond by the way and so the hated Brown - who had great respect from world bankers and put in place many safety nets against collapse again was therefore NOT soley at fault for all Britain and the worlds ills. His approach was always to protect our N.H.S and Education system and that already is being dismantled by the two beautiful boys (have they started to shave yet?)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Here we go again

Postby Kojak » 07 Jun 2010, 13:17

We could go on for ever on this one but I have to point out that Brown sold off most of our gold reserves for euros when the price of gold was at it's lowest. Also, for 15 years he was in complete control of our finances and so can be held solely to blame for our lack of resources when the economic depression hit. Don't blame the present government for the mess that 15 years of Gordon Brown created.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Here we go again

Postby snoopy2 » 07 Jun 2010, 15:27

I am not blaming the present government - how can anyone - they have only been in two minutes! What i am highlighting is the cuts already being introduced that will effect the weak and vulnerable i.e. N.H.S. Also - cuts in education spell trouble for at least a couple of generations - i know where i am on that one - spent 30 years in education! As you say this could run and run so as far as i am concerned this is my last posting. Time will prove us all right or wrong.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Here we go again

Postby MacDuff » 10 Jun 2010, 23:20

If one agrees that the U.K. finances are in the worst mess in modern history, that austerity is in consequence necessary, then where should the necessary massive cuts required be imposed?

Yes, Mr. Brown did promote the concept that he was well respected by bankers around the world, including Wall Street. I don't think that he is hated, but regarded as proven to be inadequate yes.

I do not think that Mr. Brown is regarded as solely responsible for the financial woes of the world. But who else should hold responsibility for the U.K. banking regulations that led to the collapse of Northern Rock (there is a misnomer), the need for the British taxpayer to bale out RBS and others? the responsibility for that, cannot be foisted on to the Wall Street boys.

It is interesting to recall that it was generally been accepted that the Kennedy/Nixon debate, where Kennedy was credited with appearing clean shaven and youthful compared with Nixon, was the major factor in Kennedy being elected President. I recall the appearance of Tony Blair some fourteen years ago - youthful?

I think that the U.K. population has to support those politicians who now face the daunting task of trying over a period of probably in the order of ten years, to restore some financial stability to Britain. If they don't, the example of Greece, Spain Portugal and Italy stare the U.K. population in the face.

Finally, why is it that the British pound has fallen in only two and one half years, from Canadian $2.91 to the pound, to $1.50? That is the financial world's assessment of Mr. Brown's abilities. The problem is not going to go away, and those who enjoyed the benefits of Mr. Brown's largesse, are sadly going to experience the pain of the cure being imposed.

My concerns are for the U.K. population, many of whom do not yet seem to understand the perilous state of their countries finances. Scotland will not be unaffected. Remember that under Mr. Brown, it was the part of the U.K. which received the highest level of Westminster government support per capita. The only hope of retaining a larger part of that, will lie with the Liberal M.Ps from the north. They at least are involved in the new Government.

'Nuff said!
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic