not so good Olympic

Chat about anything else

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 12 Oct 2010, 16:02

You've summed it up precisely, Andy. Olympic only class Symi as a part-time reps job which is why they had a succession of reps who unfortunately weren't as good as they might have been. BUT and it's a big "but" - you get what you pay for. If you want first class permanent attention then you have to pay a lot more for it. In fairness to Olympic, they are about the only company offering holidays at the cheaper end of the market. You cannot expect Club class treatment if you pay for an economy seat.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 14 Oct 2010, 23:35

Oh be fair Kojak. The fortnight my daughter and myself had on Symi wasn't cheap. In fact there were cheaper deals to be had. Whether people travel economy or Club a company is taking your money and therefore they should supply the best service for that money. Olympic both travelling to and back from Symi treated their customers shabbily. I wrote a letter of complaint to Olympic and got the usual brush off - no responsibility taken for a rotten lost night of our holiday. 'Walking frieght' as how airlines now term their passangers are indeed more and more being treated like herded cattle.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby sugardens » 15 Oct 2010, 00:37

:) We always travel independantly so that we can choose when and where we'll be staying....it may cost more but if you want to stay on islands like Symi i.e. no airports, "cheap" is no longer an option. After all these islanders are trying to earn a living and I'm just glad they are so welcoming. :D
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 15 Oct 2010, 02:58

Symi never has been a cheap island, Snoopy. Depending on where you stay of course, I'd be surprised if there were cheaper deals than those offered by Olympic. I'm not excusing the Rhodes setup as they do need to smarten up their service to transit customers. My reply was mostly in relation to Andy's post re. the number of reps on Symi. I may have been lucky because I've travelled with Olympic for several years now and apart from one or two hiccups (hiccoughs?) in the Rhodes operation I've not had a problem with them.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Oct 2010, 09:24

I am in no way critising the island. If i found fault with the island i wouldn't go - it is as everyone says beautiful and welcoming and yes now we are all almost on a parity re exchange rate no-where much is cheap these days. My beef is with travel companies who offer the earth and deliver nothing. Because of bad experiences i had sworn never to travel other than independently again and Olympic reinforced my decision. In this international economic climate if firms want to stay afloat i am afraid they have to do a bit better - without people having to go to a two tier system.
However bad experiences now history and good memories of our stay yet again and already planning next year - roll on.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby sugardens » 15 Oct 2010, 15:19

If you're going independently don't forget to book everything over �100 with credit card so you've got redress if things go pear-shaped!
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Eleanor » 15 Oct 2010, 17:23

Its about our 6th year travelling to Symi with Olympic and like Kojak we have found them ok . poss little probs about transfer ferry crossing ets but on the whole you get what you pay for (I would love to be the Symi rep.....maybe only for a day or two if I got all the hassle from travellers)remember if you travel independant you will still have all the usual moans about ferry crossings,rooms etc etc.Long live Olympic is all I say cos its the only way we can get to Symi. Couldnt or wouldnt pay Symi visitor accom prices on top flights from Glasgow. Maybe we should all go to Benidorm next year and that would give us a whole lot to complain about
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Oct 2010, 23:24

Eleanor - there is life beyond Symi Visitor - they are not the only lot Symi to get accomodation from - i have several addresses i can contact for s.c. now. Careful budgeting and s.c. and home cooing as well as eating out - wallah better than Olympic - no hassle. Is this the girl who told me to bypass teh Symi II and go on the Dod Express!!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Colette » 16 Oct 2010, 14:40

Just to add to the debate, like Kojak I have visited Symi many times, both independantly and with a tour operator ( the late lamented Kosmar and now Olympic)When holidaying as a singleton these days it is definitely more economical to book with Olympic as by booking early on line the under occupancy charge is wiped out by the discounts and the independant accomodations charge per room, not per person.While using a tour operator you can still have your independance - as Kojak says 5 of us used the Dodec instead of the Proteus last month by merely informing the rep at the airport and getting our paperwork from her there.I think we should all agree to differ, each to their own as the saying goes.At least we all agree on one thing - we all love Symi no matter how we get there 8-)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Eleanor » 16 Oct 2010, 16:22

yep colette I agree lets all just love Symi
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby benedetti » 16 Oct 2010, 17:36

After years with Laskerina we now use Kaladoukas. We are usually fairly independent in our travel but as far as Symi is concerned and since wee Jimmys heart attack I have been more than pleased with the way Francis has looked after us. We are skiers.... spending the kids inheritance but we deserve it. :D :)
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 16 Oct 2010, 18:37

And why not, Sis. You've both worked all your lives so go for it! Good to see you both again, if only in passing. Wee Jimmy looked well too!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby D and E » 17 Oct 2010, 11:00

We normally do both an Olympic and an independent trip each year and we can only do the two visits due to the fantastic prices that Olympic offer - in fact we sometimes feel a bit guilty :oops: as someone in the supply chain is losing out :( and we don't think it is the airline. We suspect it is the accommodation provider but better to have rooms full than empty and Anastasia always seems pleased to see Olympic visitors arriving. We actually like the hands-off approach from Olympic :) and simply depend on them for flight and accommodation as even incurring additional cost taking a taxi to the port and paying for the Dodec they still come out ahead of the independent route. As for reps we remember Barbara with great fondness - she would sit all day at the harbour in Rhodes minding the luggage so we could induldge in Socrates Garden. Ian is also a first class chap and is very knowledgable about the island - he is laid back but that suits the location doesn't it ? Rhodes is Rhodes and we suspect has the same issues as any other major resort. As others say - each to their own but we will continue to support Olympic although we may be on a single trip next year :( as D's sister has persuaded us to visit her in the USA (despite D's misgivings about that part of the world as some may have read in previous posts :twisted: ). This has been an excellent topic.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 17 Oct 2010, 11:16

:o Wow didn't think when i entered the forum with my initial observations it would create such a storm. Go for it all you Olympic fans. I repeat i was in no way critisicing the island nor the accomodation on it which incidentally was superb. I was however putting forward my horrendous travel to and from Symi - all part of the holiday which has been paid for surely. I don't think the majority of contributors to this forum would even consider a fleeting visit to Falaraki let alone a night there and it is distressing - especially to first time visitors - to be left at Mandraki harbour as a taxi for four when there was six drives off. Nough said i will not be continuing with this subject. The main thing is it hasn't put me off travelling to Symi again.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 17 Oct 2010, 12:23

It's a shame when something like that puts you off, Snoopy - as I said earlier, Olympic do have great prices but they don't do themselves any favours at the Rhodes end. Each to their own of course but the main thing is that it hasn't put you off Symi! :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Oor Willie » 18 Oct 2010, 17:43

Snoopy, don't be to quick to dismiss Falaraki, Heather and I have had 2 holidys there, the first in 98 when it was at it's peak as an 18/30 location and the second in 2004 when it had quietend down after all the bad publicity and we enjoyed both visits even though we are well out of the 18/30m range, it has the best beach on the island is handy for Rhodes town and if you stay in accomodation on the outskirts where it is quiet at night you have the choice of going into the centre and partying or staying on the edge in the quieter bars and resaurants, remember pre 18/30 this was a family resortand could be again. Vastly different from Symi but still OK.
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby maziemoo » 18 Oct 2010, 20:51

Awww Orr Willie, you and Heather are such 'ravers'....go on admit it.

Next year will be my first time travelling with Olympic but I'm hoping my Laskarina and 'independent' travel experience will stand me in good stead for sorting out any short comings.

If I didn't have the benefit of that knowledge though, I'd be very tempted to agree with Snoopy2. When you are still in the 'learning phase' it can be very stressful when things don't fall into place particularly if like me, you are a single female traveller.

I'm not sure if/when the learning phase finishes because I've found that the ferries are usually the one thing that manages to keep me guessing however a really important thing I've learned, is that you need to keep your lines of communication open as there's always someone happy to pass you important information with regard to this.

Also I can't stress enough how wonderful it is to have the 'welcoming committee' waiting when I set foot on Symi terra firma. Symi has been responsible for providing me with some truly wonderful friends.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 18 Oct 2010, 22:04

We need the welcoming committee, Maz because we never know what kind of state you'll be in when you're decanted from the ferry... ;) :D :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Oor Willie » 18 Oct 2010, 23:59

OK Maz I admit it we are just party animals, I suppose I must confess that we also had great holidays in Laganas,Kardamena,Hersonisos and Sidari all classed as "young and lively" resorts, but all of that was only a warm up for Night time in Symi
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby peterv » 21 Oct 2010, 22:27

Oh dear... my sister and her husband havs booked a holiday on symi next year. We will have to keep a low profile so they do not get "corrupted" by maz and Kojak.
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic