not so good Olympic

Chat about anything else

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 10 Sep 2010, 11:21

Just back from 13 days and nights in glorious Symi sunshine. Pedi Beach Hotel - absolutely great. Breakfasts especially good and the staff - just like being in one great happy family. Janine in the Olive Tree her usual happy and friendly self - what a girl and always great tucker. Georgios a sweetie and never too much bother for him when at the tevarna or taking us to the beach. Night cap at Yanni's again - always a great welcome as with Dinos down in Pedi. On the island - all just great. BUT will not use Olympic again. Despite phoning the Rhodes office a week prvious to our departure telling them we would make our own way to Symi on the Dod Express - phone call and request ignored. Found our overnight accomodation was in Falaraki - yes Falaraki in one of the filthiest hotels i have ever encountered. No help from the management at all - no alarm for our early departure and no form of refreshment in the morning at all. Journey back - no rep at the harbour just a Greek taxi driver with a taxi for four. Two almost got left behind as there were six of us and the chaps English was very poor. Bus to take us to the airport was 40 minutes late causing huge anxiety then the Olympic rep offhandedly told us they had been half way round the island looking for us. Why do Olympic use the International which isn't even an Olympic hotel and has therefore no contact numbers. Just not impressed with Olympic and will travel independently next year - costs not all that much more in my book and at least only ourselves to blame if things go wrong. But to end on a positive note - Symi much tidier and many improvements - just a joy to be there.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 10 Sep 2010, 17:41

Pleased you had a great time in Symi, Snoopy - which of course you would. I always travel with Olympic and I have to agree that the service on Rhodes is far from satisfactory. I seem to do half their job, especially on the return leg where there's no rep to meet people off the ferry. If you get a good coach driver it's usually ok, if you don't.... The fact is, though, that Olympic prices are usually well below other companies so I guess you pay for what you get.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Eleanor » 10 Sep 2010, 17:57

Hi Snoopy, glad you had a great time on Symi but sorry to hear about your experience with olympic. Like Kojak we have been using olympic for years and so far have had no trouble. Yes the pick up from ferry on departure can be a bit hap hazzard but we have booked with them again next year as prices are good . We have looked into independant travel but no way flights etc way too much. Welcome home to wet Scotland x
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 11 Sep 2010, 16:15

To be honest i wasn't so bothered about the trip back - bad enough but at least i knew my way around - first time travellers don't. What really got me annoyed was the dismissal of my phone call to Rhodes informing Olympic we would make our own way to Symi (even though the fare had already been paid by both of us) and the horror of the Evita Appartments in Falaraki which carry Olympic's name. Was told by umpteen peole that Rhodes town was not and is not full as tourist numbers are badly down this year so why piss off eight people travelling with Olympic by sending them to what is surely the filthiest and noisiest and worst managed hotel on Rhodes? I will find a different route to Symi next year and it certainly will not be with Olympic ever again.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 12 Sep 2010, 11:57

Olympic certainly don't do themselves any favours. I just inform the reps on arrival what the plan is if I go it alone on the ferry. Olympic staff in this country are merely admin people and have no idea about local conditions (and usually local reps). Sadly, some of the Rhodes staff know nothing about Symi as I found out when chasing up a missing coach on the return leg. The girl in the office blithely informed me that "we always send a coach or taxi to Mandraki Harbour to meet the ferry" There was a long silence when I informed her that the Proteus had never docked at Mandraki... Having said all that, like Eleanor, I'll continue to use Olympic because of the price and the accommodation on Symi. It is rough on first time holidaymakers who don't know the ropes as well as us.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Joanie » 14 Sep 2010, 08:38

Yes Snoopy Pedi Beach Hotel is very nice, we had a front room overlooking the bay each time, lovely. Also they have a little family church in the grounds, which they gave us the key to, to have a look round, it was very small but interesting. The only drawback was it was a bit far from Yialos for getting home, the taxi's did'nt run very late. The staff were very nice and made everyone v ery welcome
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 14 Sep 2010, 11:53

I didn't know about the church Joannie - maybe next year as i would certainly seriously think about staying at Pedi Beach Hotel again. The staff were lovely and we got huge hugs from Maria when we left and all the staff waved until we were out of sight when we left. As we were really well behaved i know it wasn't that they were glad to see the back of us. Yes it is a bit from Yialos but what we did a few times was get ourselves to Chorio then walked the rest of the way after a visit to Yanni and Georgios. Up to Zoe's turn left then downhill all the way. Already planning next year's visit but are thinking of flying to Kos then island hopping taking in Symi and Kastellarizo.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby ElleJay » 17 Sep 2010, 15:17

Hi Snoopy - glad you had a great time. I am currently searching ways of getting to Rhodes without Olympic, our Monarch flight was awful, the planes are so out-dated with seats to fit hobbits not humans. We booked a 2 week holiday in Rhodes, Kassandra apartments in Trianda which were brilliant then 4 days in took the catamaran (Pride) to Symi at 8.30am, booked accomm thru Symi visitor which was right at the head of the harbour over a tourist shop, absolutley fantastic lovely apartment, brilliant view of the harbour and taxi boats, went to Nanou beach most of the time then got back when the ferries had gone, nice leisurely retsina on the balcony before going for a meal. Only downside was the Vapori bar started it's loud boom boom music at 11.30pm til gone 2am, we both had ear plugs but it didn't drown out the music, it was ridiculously loud, so ended up sitting on the balcony til it had finished, therefore very tired the next day, to be honest we were looking forward to getting back to Rhodes for a decent nights sleep. We liked the old town and wished we had stayed there, Symi was busier than expected, so am looking at going to Halki next year but not with Olympic, will do it independently. We walked down to Pedi then round to St Nicks beach, had a beer then walked back, it looked very peaceful down there, was it quiet in the evening??

We did like Symi and loved the Kalistrata and all the old houses and little alleyways, the church at the top had stunning views, just unfortunate with the location of Vapori bar so close to what could be described as the most idyllic, luxurious, spacious apartment.

If you find another way to get to Rhodes do let me know.

Cheers, 3 loads of washing on the line today and back to routine boo

ElleJay x
ElleJay
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby jane and rich » 17 Sep 2010, 18:49

hi ellejay.have you been to halki before? how do you plan to do the trip? ihave been wondering how to combine afew days on halki with a week or so on symi.
jane and rich
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby maziemoo » 17 Sep 2010, 22:41

Hi Jane and Rich.....

I've done Halki before....it's friendly and very quiet and much smaller than Symi...but delightful.

When I first started travelling to Greece, I used to go with a company called Laskarina who did Halki and Symi as a two island holiday.....sadly Laskarina ceased trading though but the rep who worked for them still works on the island managing the accommodation, her name is Lynne (a very nice and helpful lady) at

It's also worth taking a look at the sister website to Symi Visitor .....if you look under the Noticeboard section there seems to be quite a bit of information about ferries, accommodation etc. and I'm sure if you contact Wendy or Adriana at Symi Visitor they will be happy to give you lots of useful help and advice.

Good luck.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby ElleJay » 18 Sep 2010, 11:10

Thanks Maziemoo, that's a great help t ome too, I did look at the Nissia holidays site yesterday and it gave me more info. Cheers

ElleJayx
ElleJay
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 19 Sep 2010, 17:05

Hi ElleJay What a pity you got zombied out by loud music - can't bear that myself. Pedi Bay Hotel was wonderfully quiet and there just seemed to be a tacit understanding that the hotel was quiet from about 10p.m. on. It was bliss. Next year we are looking at perhaps Kos then island hop. I know there is a ferry from Symi to Kastellarizo on a Thursday and i really want to go to Kastellariz. Unfortunately all the airlines appear to be crap these days. We travelled back on a Thompson bucket suitable as you say for people of a small persuasion or hobbits. Rhodes airport gets worse not better so definately want to find a different and hopefully better route. Pedi and the appartments at the top of the Kalistrata seemed quiet to us. Last year we stayed in Chorio through Symivis. OK apartment - but a bit tired. We also will travel independently next year that way there is only one person to blame - ourselves.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby D and E » 25 Sep 2010, 12:14

Snoopy - we are just back having travelled on the new easyJet Liverpool - Rhodes route and is was excellent. It may be a bit of a journey for you to get to Liverpool but well worth it. Don't believe all you see on that Airline TV programme - ground staff at both ends could not have been more helpful. The timing of the flights means that Diagoras is not that busy and with three desks to check in there was hardly a queue. The aircraft was new and more leg room that any of the charter airlines we that we have used in the past and the price was excellent. �200 for both of us + �21 for Speedy Boarding (well worth it)and 20kg of luggage. We had day flights - on the way out we did have to stay overnight in Rhodes but that wasn't a hardship. On the way back we landed at 16:25 so made it home to Mid Wales the same day. :)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby ElleJay » 26 Sep 2010, 15:02

That's fantastic news D and E, I will be looking as Easyjet for Rhodes next time, damn sight more comfortable than flipping Monarch... Fortunately we are flying Virgin to Vegas in June so looking forward to that, can't get any worse than Monarch.
ElleJay
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby peterv » 26 Sep 2010, 15:51

Of all the holidays I have taken in Europe, The fights with the best legroom have all been Easyjet, albeit out of Gatwick and usually meant an overnight stay in Rhodes on the way out and another near Gatwick on the way back.

Hotel and parking at Gatwick was �65 on the airport for 2 weeks in May.
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Eleanor » 26 Sep 2010, 20:29

elle jay, you will need lots of ear plugs in vegas although the ammount of stuff they pump into your room via air com you dont get any sleep anyway
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby shakey » 11 Oct 2010, 16:04

Hi Snoopy2. The main reason we stopped coming to Symi is the shoddy treatment by the useless Olympic rep. Our last visit started with our first night in Faliraki too. Took the shine off the holiday we had been looking forward to for 50 weeks.The previous year Mrs Shakey was bitten by a spider and her leg was in a bad way. The rep didn't know where the doctors surgery was even though she lived on the island.Thankfully Kev at the Sunrise pointed us in the right direction.We are coming back next May/June but we will make our own way.
shakey
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby snoopy2 » 11 Oct 2010, 17:13

8-) Well whoopie do - i was beginning to think i was the only one that was having a mumph at Olympic. Like you - Shakey - i would not travel with them again but will make my own way next year as i did the previous. More expensive but at least reps and herding of 'walking freight' doesn't happen if you travel independently. Sorry about Mrs S's leg - - hope you find like me that Symi people never forget you. Lovely island and i hope you have a great time as we did once we escaped the clutches of reps etc!!!! 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Kojak » 12 Oct 2010, 12:35

I put a reply about Olympic on another topic but I'll repeat it here. Having just returned from Symi I had no problems with Olympic. As usual the coach driver was hiding the Olympic sign on our return to Rhodes but apart from that everything went well. We skipped the Proteus on the way out and took the fast Dodecanisos and simply informed the rep at the airport. I think you were unfortunate, Snoopy in your overnight accommodation in Faliraki and Olympic deserve to be criticised for that.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

not so good Olympic

Postby Andy W » 12 Oct 2010, 14:21

Reps are a bit of an endangered species on Symi these days. The days of seemingly a dozen or more awaiting the arrival of Symi I are very long gone. However in fairness, I remember that Ian, the current Olympic rep, was filling that job on Symi, for a different tour operator, as far back as 1997, and I'm confident he knows where both the doctors surgeries can be found, and even when they are open.
The problem is usually with the Rhodes based reps many of whom are parachuted in for the season and have only a vague idea where Symi is, which harbour is which, and what time people have to be delivered there to make their connections. They don't see people travelling on to Symi as "their" customers even though they have the same company name on the baggage labels.
Again, in the old days, Symi-based reps travelled to Rhodes on changeover day with the homebound customers, and brought their new guests back to Symi with them. However this meant the tour operator had to pay the rep for a 12 hour or longer day, and pay for a return ferry crossing, which is why it doesn't happen now - cost is king, I'm afraid.

Now most tourists coming to Symi make their own flight and transfer arrangements, as I've been doing for 10 years now. No doubt the availability of information on the internet has helped with this, and far more people have the confidence to travel independently abroad thanks to weekend city breaks and so on. You could make a case that some UK tour operators have destroyed their own market, though, by pennypinching on this part of the package.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic