Small World!

Chat about anything else

Small World!

Postby Kojak » 13 Oct 2010, 12:50

We often here the term "It's a small world" but it seems to be getting smaller. One would think that with Symi being a very small island and not immediately known to many people, the chances of meeting up with someone you know would be slim.

Many years ago when I lived near Newcastle I was at a barbecue in a small house up in Chorio and met some people who lived only half a mile from my home. A few years back, sitting in Pat's bar in Yialos, one of my friends saw, sitting at the next table, a lady who she knew as a teenager. This year, on the Poseidon, another friend recognised someone from his home town who he hadn't seen for 15 years.

It is a small world!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Small World!

Postby Kon » 13 Oct 2010, 14:35

It is a small world ,i remember arriving in Paris a few years back and i had a tap on my shoulder and when i turned it was a client of mine who asked me if i had brought my scissors with me ,could not believe it on the other side of the world a chance meeting. :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Small World!

Postby David » 13 Oct 2010, 15:55

I have a friend whose Mum and Dad had gone to California for a holiday. They got delayed at LA and were sent to a specific area. They sat down, got a tap on the shoulder, turned round and there was their best man who, after the wedding had emigrated to Australia and they hadn't seen each other for over 20 years. As you say it's a small world
David
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Small World!

Postby muppet » 13 Oct 2010, 23:50

Whilst on Symi last June and walking past Pachos we were spotted by someone we had both worked with up to a few years ago. Had a lovely evening with them and they joined us for a meal on our terrace the following night.
Sadly they told us some very sad news about another old friend of ours, with whom we had lost touch in recent years, but at least it meant that we were able to attend a funeral on our return from holiday and pay our respects.
It is indeed a small world!
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Small World!

Postby Sunshine » 14 Oct 2010, 00:05

...sitting at the Grace Hotel a few years ago, Evangolia introduced us to a young English couple. The conversation went as follows...'where are you from?'.. 'north of Newcastle'...'which town?'...err, A****gton'...'yes but which street?'...'err Hill****'...'Do you know Brian Ro****?'...'err, yes, actually he's my cousin'...!!
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Small World!

Postby D and E » 17 Oct 2010, 11:18

Six years ago we were staying in the Nireus 8-) and one evening sitting on the jetty partaking of a very fine Pina Colada we got into conversation with an elderly gentleman from Ireland ;) - he didn't actually say where.

Two years ago we went to Belfast for a long weekend to celebrate E's birtday and of all the bars we could have gone to one afternoon to have a drop of the Dark Stuff :P we enetered one and who was sitting there but the same chap :D That turned out to be a long afternoon !

A small world indeed !!
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Small World!

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Oct 2010, 10:46

Met up with a lovely couple on Lipsi in 2001 when I was island hopping on my own and ended up spending most of the day with them (long story but the vessel we were meant to be travelling on from Patmos to Kos was overbooked so we ended up going to Lipsi instead and they stayed there and I went on to Kos the same evening). The following year on a flight to Santorini with my partner we were stood in the queue at immigration when I felt a tap on my shoulder and it was the same couple. We ended up meeting up with them for a couple of days in Folegandros and again in Santorini at the end of the holiday. We've kept in touch ever since and had a lovely few days with them on Fourni a few years ago.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Small World!

Postby mr wotsin » 25 Oct 2010, 21:42

Sitting outside Pat's bar a few years ago a trip boat came in and the group were walking past when I thought I recognised an old work mate. But I could not remember his name, only his nick name, which unfortunately was SICKNOTE so I called out and he did acknowledge. His wife gave me a sideways look, anyway we had a chat.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Small World!

Postby johnandkris » 26 Oct 2010, 15:06

A few years back a gang of us (Kojak included, unfortunately) decorated the outside of Mythos for a surprise birthday party for Willie. Having finished, we wanted a photo of the gang in front of the decorated restaurant, so I asked the first person who came round the corner to take a picture.

He was the owner of the newsagents opposite my office in Manchester where I always got my morning paper!!
johnandkris
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Small World!

Postby mr wotsin » 26 Oct 2010, 21:36

And another. Walking around the old Durham county show at Chester le Street's lambton park, heard a voice shouting Rembrandt. Turned round and sure enough it was a work mate who could not remember my proper name and so yes Rembrandt I was in the joiners shop to all the chippies as I did the drawings for new shopfronts etc. Forty years later I still answer to Rembrandt. "Nasty Will" had another name for me, but I'll keep that to myself.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Small World!

Postby Kyriako » 26 Oct 2010, 22:00

Just so that you know - the person Kojak is talking about on The Poseidon is me. I couldn't believe it; sitting on Sesklia a few weeks ago enjoying a barbecue when who should I recognise sitting in front of me but someone I hadn't seen for all that time . . . and who's been to Symi 7 times no less! We're due to meet up at Christmas in the place I last saw him in 1988. I doubt we'll lose touch again! The last time I had an experience like this I was in New Zealand - I'd just checked into a Youth Hostel in Rotorua. Who should walk into the room and occupy one of the other beds than a young lady I'd met in Tolon (Greece) the year before. I'd forgotten to get her contact details on that occasion, but I got them the 2nd time!!
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Small World!

Postby MacDuff » 02 Nov 2010, 04:09

AND ????
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Small World!

Postby Kojak » 02 Nov 2010, 13:18

We are all agog...
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Small World!

Postby MacDuff » 10 Nov 2010, 03:45

C'mon Kyraiko, Kojak and I are awaiting your response with excited anticipation. The suspense is almost unbearable. :oops: :o :mrgreen:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic