GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Chat about anything else

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby sugardens » 13 Nov 2010, 19:41

I've been looking at all the different companies who offer parking at Gatwick and the difference in price is astonishing....�60 - �140! Which makes me VERY SUSPICIOUS!!! If the price is so low does that mean I'll never see my car again? (The highest prices are the airport's own parking -no surprise there). Advice welcome please. :o
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby D and E » 14 Nov 2010, 21:15

Hi Su, we have never flown from or parked at Gatwick but have used the site Holidayextras (a brokering site that secures good prices for hotels and / or parking) for parking at Bristol, Liverpool and Manchester and cheap does not have to mean poor security or distance from terminal - and where we have been far from the terminal there has always been an excellent shuttle bus to and from. You might want to try them for Gatwick :?:

Being an Aberdonian (you know we are famed for looking for a "bargain") and married to someone from Aberystwyth (known as Cardi's and famed for their thriftiness)we are always reluctant to spend large sums on something as mundane as parking. Need the cash for a bottle of bubbly on the flight :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby mr wotsin » 14 Nov 2010, 21:17

Quite a large number of hotels near to the airport offer parking with a bus taking you on to the airport. But you would have to contact them for prices.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby Buzzy » 15 Nov 2010, 09:48

I've always used Gatwick Airport Long stay parking and found it to be well organised. You just pick up a ticket from the machine, go and park and note down your zone, row and nearest bus stop number and catch the bus to the terminal. Upon return you just exit using the same ticket. Just like a high street car park. I like having the car at the airport because of the extra security there and the fact that it's easier for thieves to go to car parks away from the bright lights etc. Also if you have any start up problems on return staff will give you a jump start.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby peterv » 15 Nov 2010, 09:51

If you have an early morning flight, then it is possible to get a hotel room (on the airport) and Parking very cheaply, but it is necessary to shop aropund. In may, hotel +14 nights parking was �69. Car was fine and had about 10 miles on it for the "off site" parking.
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby Andy W » 15 Nov 2010, 16:02

One thing that's worth watching out for is the hours of operation of shuttle buses. I've had to miss out on otherwise promising car parking or hotel+park deals in the past because I had a very early morning check-in or very late return back and the bus just didn't run when I needed it to. It's also worth looking at the frequency the bus runs at, especially if the car park is off-airport. It's not much fun getting back late at night on a chilly UK evening, and having to wait 20 minutes for the bus to get back from the far end of the route. Quite often they say "phone us from baggage reclaim when you've got your luggage back". Well that means that the bus may be anywhere on its route, including having just left the airport to take another load of people to the car park. Sure, they'll tell the driver you're waiting, but that doesn't prevent you standing there for ages. Some of the Gatwick off-airport car parks also serve both North and South terminals with the same bus, which adds to your journey time in one direction or the other. You bet they'll advertise the shortest of the possible times.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby Kojak » 15 Nov 2010, 16:39

I'll stick to the train - even if it does break down 4 times... :evil:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby benedetti » 15 Nov 2010, 20:06

My retina is back to normal.....Hi Sugerdens. As we are committed SKIERS we stay at the hotel in Gatwick airport as the start of our holiday. Well worth it after years of driving or taxi ing to Gatwick and arriving frazzled.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby peterv » 16 Nov 2010, 10:38

Sugargardens, I was living in Gloucester when I did the trip in May. The hotel was about 5 minute walk from the South terminal.If you have a late flight (either in or out), I would recommend the hotel and park optiuon as it was very reasonable. I had a 6.30 am check in and I finished work on the Tuesday before the Wednesday flight. Although we were late back, (approx 1 1/2 hours) the parking staff were very helpful and the car was waiting for me to jump in, get home and go to work on Thursday 2 weeks later!

I have done the train option, and the wait in the morning is just horrendous, especially as there is nowhere where you can get 2/3 hours kip!
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby sugardens » 16 Nov 2010, 16:27

We've made a decision and decided to drive. I checked the cost of parking again last night and it had gone up from the other day!!!! We check in at the ghastly hour of 03.00 and return at 01.00 so hotels are not worth the money - except maybe on the way back but if we have a snooze on the plane a 3 hour drive when the motorways are quiet is no real problem. We usually go from Bristol but the flights were 3 times the cost. But paying �100 for parking is extortionate. Just wished I owned a carpark!
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby snoopy2 » 17 Nov 2010, 09:58

I am with Peterv. On this year's return from Symi we arrived in Glasgow at 2 in the morning. Hadn't booked a hotel for a few hours kip as we thought mid week we would be bound to get a room in a Travelodge or similar. Only forgot the Pope's visit was on so - 'no room at the inn.' (Just thought a pres seasonal quote would be nice) Spent a horrilbe four hours at Glasgow Central train station being fed hot tea by a very kind station master. Lesson learned - always book for a few hours kip!!!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby Jan » 17 Nov 2010, 10:58

Su - if you're travelling with Easyjet did you know you can check in your luggage from 8pm the evening before if you're on a crack of dawn departure? That means in the morning all you have to do is go straight through security and off to the gate, rather than checking in at 0300.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby JeanW » 17 Nov 2010, 11:05

I would be interested in knowing which hotel you stayed at peterv as I am departing from Gatwick in May 2011 on a 9.10am flight to Rhodes which means an early check-in. The best deal for meet and greet parking at the moment is �79.00.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby sugardens » 17 Nov 2010, 11:27

Jan you're a life saver!! I didn't know about checking in the night before so will definitely look into that one. :) :) :) :) :)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

GATWICK AIRPORT PARKING

Postby peterv » 18 Nov 2010, 10:42

I was at the Courtyard by Marriott with all inclusive package through a broker. I can't remember who I bopoked through, but a google search will bring up the options, and do look at more than one site as prices do differ.

I found the food and beer prices at the hotel to be similar to Central London though!
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Off Topic