athens

Chat about anything else

athens

Postby snoopy2 » 17 Nov 2010, 17:19

:) Going to Symi in a round about way in 2011. Hoping to go to Athens for a week - will be a first time visit - then on to Kastellarizo then Symi. Anybody out ther got tips and hints on flying to Athens - where to stay et al? Any info will be gratefully recieved. So far hit a bit of a brick wall on one way travel!!! :cry:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

athens

Postby sugardens » 17 Nov 2010, 18:13

To one-way travel by air you can only do it using schedule flights - cheap airlines or the other lot. Charter flights are always return. If charter's your only option you can use it for the outward leg and come back using a schedule. Charter rules don't allow you to use the return flight only. I've absolutely no idea about your options in the frozen north...only know it's all possible via London. You could always go by train to Venice, catch the boat down to mainland Greeece, catch train to Athens and boat to Symi.....heavenly but extremely expensive unfortunately. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

athens

Postby snoopy2 » 17 Nov 2010, 23:56

8-) Thanks Sugardens but will try and seek out flight options. If it was just me with all the time in the world i would be really flash and go by orient Express and love every minute of it. come to think about it i would probably go round Europe before stopping in symi but alack a day daughter must earn a crust so we only have three weeks to play with. I will certainly let you know how it goes. :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

athens

Postby Kon » 18 Nov 2010, 08:07

Snoopy i don't know much about flights but if you stay in Athens i can always recommend the Hotel Electra Palace in plaka ,it has great views of the Acropolis and a pool and bar upstairs.All the shops are in Plaka so there is plenty of shopping to be had.
We took a bus tour organised by the hotel around some of the sites of Athens including the Acropolis.
I Used Blue Star Ferries to come to Rhodes from Pireus great service too ,and they do stop at different islands.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

athens

Postby peterv » 18 Nov 2010, 10:46

Whilst the Venice to Patras service is pretty good (I was with ANEK), the first hour is spent going through the Venice Lagoon with some great views of the city, the rest of the journey (31 hours) is boring..... The prices were a bit on the high side for drinks and food.
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

athens

Postby peterv » 18 Nov 2010, 10:53

The flight issue, From Gatrwick, the Easyjet service is pretty good. If you are not too choosy on dates, you could pick up pretty good prices.

As for Charter, if you go to something light Flightbookers or similar agencies on the high street, it is possible to get one way tickets. for internet bookings, you can get some reasonable deals, one such site is and they offer one way flights. Gatwick to Rhodes on 18 May is quoted at �148.50 one way.
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

athens

Postby Andy W » 18 Nov 2010, 14:12

Flights to/via Athens are the subject of today's / Symi Visitor Accommodation Travel Blog

Hope this helps. If not, send me a PM.
Andy
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

athens

Postby snoopy2 » 22 Nov 2010, 15:12

:D Thanks to you all for responses. I am going bog-eyed trying to fit in Athens and Kastellarizo and think now i am going to give up!!! I fear me it is back to Rhodes - Symi - Kastellarizo - Symi - Rhodes. Pity as we had a terrible time last year at the end of our holiday and really wanted to avoid Rhodes but if we want Symi and Kastllarizo then Rhodes it must be. However might win the euro millions and will hire a Lear jet. Will let you all know in case anyone wants a lift. At present have tracked down Aberdeen to Rhodes flights so things looking up. :D :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

athens

Postby sugardens » 23 Nov 2010, 00:27

If you could swing past Bath it would be appreciated. :D
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

athens

Postby Andy W » 23 Nov 2010, 12:17

There are flights from Rhodes to Kastellorizo four times a week on the current timetable. They leave at 7:40 in the morning, so there would be time to leave Athens on the 5:20 am Aegean flight, get your bags back at Rhodes (which is really fast on scheduled flights) and check in for Kastellorizo (you only need about 30 minutes before departure). Admittedly this means an early start, but you avoid seeing any more of Rhodes than a very small bit of the airport and a view from overhead. The Kastellorizo plane is a very small prop-driven 30 seater, and occasionally has to circle before landing while they clear sheep off the runway.
You could then return to Rhodes by ferry and on to Symi.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

athens

Postby Andy W » 23 Nov 2010, 15:00

Just to add, the summer domestic air timetables for Greece are starting to appear today. There is a flight from Rhodes to Kastelorizo 6 days a week (not Wednesdays) from the end of March, and on all the days except Fridays it is at 4.55pm. This would make connecting from Athens much easier. On Fridays it is still in the early morning, but Olympic are reinstating their early departure from Athens to Rhodes for the summer, which means you could book a through ticket to Kastelorizo with no need to re-check the baggage.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

athens

Postby snoopy2 » 23 Nov 2010, 19:25

:o Jings and crivins Andy W - a vertitable gold seam of useful info!!!! You have given me a thought for taking in athens, symi and Kastellarizo. Probably need a weekend in the highlands to recover but a plan is taking 'route' on the info you have kindly passed on - you are a star. ;) ;) ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic