spring

Chat about anything else

spring

Postby snoopy2 » 17 Mar 2011, 00:03

:!: Spring is taking a very long time and up here put my flood defences up last night. Wind - torrential rain but today lovely and warm. Pea shoots up about 2 inches and tatties ready to put in the ground.
So saying at least i have ground to put things in and clothes to my back so shut up me!
On 'tother hand would be nice to be planting and getting on with the year? Getting nearer to a Greek island by the minute! 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby Gemma1 » 17 Mar 2011, 08:16

Monday was quite nice and spring like here but it's been damp, miserable and foggy for the past 3 days. The days are getting longer though so that's an improvement :)

The temperatures seem to be rising nicely in Symi this week ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby peterv » 17 Mar 2011, 09:46

Gemma, the last few days have been pleasantly warm and sunny on Symi.

Now to wrap up for a visit to the UK!
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

spring

Postby sugardens » 18 Mar 2011, 08:57

Here in the soft south of England it's been t-shirt weather but tonight it's going to be
-2 ! But I've got veg planted out in raised beds that coming along nicely with bait of fleece to protect the little ones... :) :)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

spring

Postby snoopy2 » 18 Mar 2011, 10:59

:o Lorks Sugardens - plants out!!!!!! Same island but up here no plants will go in until late April early May. Except for the ubiquitous spud of course. :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby Kojak » 20 Mar 2011, 12:02

Very pleasant weather visiting Dom, Richard and Barbara in the soft south west! I was ready to throw out the indoor miniature daffs but found to my surprise that they had sprung some shoots in my absence. Cloudy and misty today but I am back in the midlands of course.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

spring

Postby MacDuff » 28 Mar 2011, 07:23

O.K.,O.K.,O.K., at this time of year, I wonder why a million folk live in Edmonton, Alberta. We still have lots oif snow - about 2' on the gardens,a few flakes today with a pretty cold wind, but only -6C.
It is usually safe to put in bedding plants after the 12th May. So the concept of planting tatties in the grun in Aiberdeen or picking daffs in Devon is almost beyong comprehension.

HOWEVER, to brighten up our currently dreary landscape, brightly coloured signs are popping up! YES, Canada in embarking on a national election - oh joy of joys, our fourth in seven years. It all stems from yet another ambitious academic Liberal party leader seeking to achieve fifteen minutes of fame. I say ``yet another`` because the Liberal party has elected two academics as leaders in three years. This one lectured at Cambridge for several years before moving to Harvard - spending 35 years away from Canada before returning to enter politics. However, he has family claims to politics - his great grandfather was in politics in Russia during the forties, no, not the 1940s, the 1840s! Lovely name, Ignatieff. Our problem of minority governments is a consequence of the Separatist party ``Bloc Quebequois`` holding some 40 seats, resulting in the other three parties struggling to get a majority.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby snoopy2 » 28 Mar 2011, 11:13

:) Welcome back MacDuff - long time no see on the forum - but what better a reason than getting married. By the way the tatties - two dreels - one of Sante one of Osprey are in my grun at Steenhive. Tad warmer than the 'Deen. But pea plants ready to go in the ground in my other garden with a cosy polytunnel over them. I shall be interested to read your observations as the election fever bites in Canada. Don't have a clue about Canadian politics and generally it seems a country to keep a low prifile. Anywa cheers you are back. :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby MacDuff » 16 Apr 2011, 23:00

O.K., O.K., today it is only -2C and only a few flakes of snow, following about 6 cm of the stuff yesterday. Just keeping you all up to date!
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby Kojak » 17 Apr 2011, 15:31

The flowering cherry behind my house is in blossom so I think Spring has finally reached the north west.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

spring

Postby maziemoo » 17 Apr 2011, 17:21

here in the soft south everything is in bloom...even me :)

We've had some glorious weather which has brought all the trees, shrubs and fields into bloom and I'm surrounded by the wonderful bright yellow of rape seed in the fields....yellow is such an uplifting colour :)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

spring

Postby snoopy2 » 17 Apr 2011, 19:49

8-) Beautiful here in n.e. Scotland - t shirt weather. Just got on my allotment with 35 others - what a hive of horticultural activity - great fun and finishing off the day in groups with chilled white wine - ah bliss. :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby MacDuff » 18 Apr 2011, 06:22

No snow today, but -6C last night 8-)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby MacDuff » 18 Apr 2011, 06:50

This is for Snoops, who way back on March 28 (my birthday), sought an update on the Canadian election. As some of you know, I am a touch biased, so please forgive :oops: Well, the politicians are behaving like only politicians can. The Liberal, New Democrats and the Bloc Quebecquois leaders have been busily engaged in attacking the Conservative Prime Minister, who despite being in a minority position has got Canada in the best economic position of any of the G8 countries. So, they have resorted to describing to the public what he might do to them if re-elected and they are threatening a coalition, which would be supported by the Bloc, their main policy being separation from Canada by Quebec. The Bloc realise that a weak coalition would play into their hands. The New Democrat leader, a very earnest fellow is promising more free goodies for most folks and not talking about taxes. The Liberal leader, is promising more free goodies for most folks, and saying that he will increase taxes on big business ie; those which have kept our unemployment figures down to 7% during the recession. The Conservative Prime Minister is offering few additional goodies, but promising to hold the course on economic development. The Liberal Leader is Michael Ignatieff, who was an academic lecturing at Cambridge from 1978 to 2000 and then at Harvard from 2000 until 2005. His great grandfather was involved in politics in Russia in the 40's NO, not the 1940's, - the 1840's. Ignatieff being a Commonwealth citizen, actually voted in the U.K. elections for Toni Blare. We have some fairly abrasive attack ads on television. It is reasonably obvious that the Conservatives will get most seats, but the question is whether if they are still a minority, Ignatieff will coble together a coalition supported by the Bloc. If the Conservatives get an overall majority we will have political peace for four years, after 4 elections in 7 years, the public are weary of elections, threats and promises, plus anger at the cost of approximately $300 million per election paid with our taxes. That's the update!!! :mrgreen:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby MacDuff » 08 May 2011, 23:06

Closure on the Canadian election of May 2. AND the result was:
Conservatives 167 seats
New Democrats 103 seats
Liberals 33 seats
Bloc Quebecquois 4 seats
Greens 1 seat
So, the Conservatives have an overall majority. The Liberals under Ignatieff were decimated. The New Democrats had their best result in history, more than doubling their seats - due to Quebec abandoning the Bloc and separatism. But some of the new NDP M.P's are odd. They include a 19 year old, four students from McGill University and a barmaid who during the election went off to Las Vegas, did not canvass, had no signage and will not talk to the press except to say that she didn't expect to be elected. So, she now gets $160,000 a year plus staff and expenses. Not too bad eh? The late scandal was when it was discovered that back in 1996, the Leader of the NDP was found naked on a bed in a bawdy house in Toronto during a Police raid and as the Police entered the room, a young 5'10" young Asian lady left the room carrying a bunch of wet Kleenex. However, this relevation led to a late surge of support for the said Jack Layton, who said when challenged by the media that he had only been visiting a community clinic for a massgage. How about that Sylvio? :oops:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby snoopy2 » 09 May 2011, 10:49

:o Wow MacDuff and i thought there was confusion here!!!!!!! Voted on the 5 May and got a ballot paper about a mile long and which tripped me up on the way to the voting booth. Also got a further two ballot papers one for A.V system. I think the world is mad at the moment MacDuff and not in a good way. I hoped to leave this earth a little better rather than worse for my time in it but confusion, lawlessness and corruption i think are at an all time high. No wonder we all seek tranquility in pockets of peace when we can. Thanks for the update which i will peruse several times to get my head round. Canadian politics to my knowledge not reported here at all. :?
8-) Oh and belated happy birthday 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby D and E » 10 May 2011, 21:13

And what a grand result for Scotland :D :D :D :D

D is looking out his Birth Certificate to confirm the birthplace as 23 Stafford Street (an auld tenement jist aff the top o George Street and nae far fae Kittybrewster but probably demolished by now) just in case I have to apply for citizenship now that the SNP have such a strong majority ;)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

spring

Postby snoopy2 » 10 May 2011, 21:48

:( I fear you are right - building gone and so another blue plaque opportunity missed - cest la vie!! :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby MacDuff » 18 May 2011, 02:41

There's nae plaque fer Blacks building either, canna think fit the toon cooncil is thinkin' - missin 'a they opportunities. Fitna bunch 'o feels eh? Bit dinna worry, it'll 'a come richt noo thet the Scots Knats 'r in poower! 'Oor Alec tae the rescue. Hey, 'ah dinna think ther's a plaque fer the comb werks either? Div e think Alec can sort that oot?

Yes Snoops, despite Canada's achievements, we are virtually ignored by the Worlds media. Strongest economy in the G8, Canadian General in charge of the NATO forces re; Libya. Incredible flooding in Manitoba and 40% of a town (Slave Lake) in Alberta burnt to a cinder in an inferno, houses with contents, cars, town hall and 7,000 people fleeing last Sunday. Literally hell let loose. The BBC "World News" reports on floods in the U.S. but doesn't mention the decision taken in Manitoba to breach a major dyke to flood tens of thousands of acres and over 150 homes, to save some 900 homes further downstream. But on the other hand we are maybe fortunate to be left alone. The Economist for example gives more attention to individual U.S. states than it does to Canada - the second largest country in the world. :?
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

spring

Postby MacDuff » 24 May 2011, 07:00

Update on the incinerated town of Slave Lake. Alberta Government gave $50 million to tide things over a bit. The folks still don't know whose homes were amongst those burnt to a cinder losing everything, cars in garages, the town hall, schools, there are still hot spots and over 100 helicopters were used. One helicopter crashed killing the pilot. The 7,000 folks are lodged in various communities, some here in Edmonton at University halls of residence. It still has not been decided when they will be allowed to visit the remnants of the town to see what remains of their homes.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic