Illegal visiting yachts.

Chat about anything else

Illegal visiting yachts.

Postby Mille » 11 Jun 2011, 09:57

Edit by Allan

This post is not from Mille but from Isaac Kopman.
The problems we are experiencing with the forum software causes some posts to appear under the wrong name and that's what's happened here.

Apologies to Isaac and to Mille who would probably love to own a yacht but sadly doesn't! :D

Let me start by stating - I love Symi. For the last 10 years or so I have visited symi a few times a year aboard my yacht. There were no formalities, we simply sailed in, tied up and for a few days enjoyed all that Symi has to offer. I am well aware that this is strictly speaking illegal but as no harm was done and we made a lot of local friends, the authorities turned a blind eye. I think that at the time there were only two harbour police who slowly patrolled the water front making sure that there was no antisocial behaviour and almost always there was none. Of course we spent substantial amounts of money in the various good restaurants, groceries, souvenirs, etc. and in the process became known and welcome by the various traders.

Alas all this has changed, paradise lost. A large number of police were employed (I believe about 30) who enforce the law to the letter ensuring that every yacht has strictly observed all formalities, this process, besides being laborious and time consuming, can cost about �150 per visit. Needless to say that many yachts-people, including myself no longer visit this beautiful island. I believe that local traders have also noticed a drop in their turnover.

Can anything be done to overcome this beaurocratic (spelling?) nightmare?
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Illegal visiting yachts.

Postby Allan » 11 Jun 2011, 13:19

Hi Isaac

The subject of the cost to yacht owners visiting Symi has been discussed in the past and it is a thorny issue. The costs are set by central government and are often higher than the Symiots would like. The Municipality were successful a few years ago in having the fees reduced and also in having a larger proportion of the fees paid to the Municipality for the benefit of the whole community.

I appreciate that you would like to visit Symi without all the bureaucracy and cost but the reality is that Greece is struggling with the highest level of illegal immigration of any country in the EU with some 128,000 immigrants last year.

Given Symi's proximity to the Turkish coast it has long been a target for immigrants so surely it's right for the Greek authorities to control their border? If the Port Police have tightened up the way they control things there's probably a good reason for it.

I know it must be frustrating when all you want to do is call in for a couple of days and you don't do any harm but immigration and custom rules can't be applied selectively.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Illegal visiting yachts.

Postby Mille » 11 Jun 2011, 14:48

Again, this is from Isaac not Mille

Thank you Allan for your comments and I appreciate the Greek authorities regarding illegal immigrants but why cannot all the concerned offices be located in one building obviating the necessity of the long slog from one end of the harbour to the next and back, some of us are not so young (I am 73) any more and find the walk in the heat of the day exhausting.

Regarding the costs, I cannot comment except that they are exorbitant and I am sure that whatever the yachtsmen spend on the island is more than the portion paid by the government to the municipality.

I do love Symi but in the meantime memories will have to suffice.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Illegal visiting yachts.

Postby Allan » 11 Jun 2011, 18:42

Hi Isaac

Apologies once again for the forum software changing your name (and gender!). We are hoping the problem will be solved soon.

I seem to remember the port police moved round to the south side of the harbour a few years ago and I agree it does seem barmy that you have to walk all the way round the harbour and back to complete the paperwork. It doesn't make you feel welcome does it?

It is true that the yachting community do provide significant income to the island and most, but by no means all, yachtsmen spend money in the bars, supermarkets and tavernas. The advantage of having some of the money from mooring fees etc. being paid to the Municipality is that it is spent on projects benefiting the whole of the island community rather than just the businesses in the harbour.

I do sympathise Isaac and wish there was a simple legal way round the problem. Maybe the rules will change in the future and you can return to Symi.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Illegal visiting yachts.

Postby Mille » 12 Jun 2011, 10:57

From Isaac

Hello Allan,
Once again thank you for your message. I do hope that the administration comes to their senses and consolidates all offices dealing with checking in/out of yachts.
In the meantime I have attempted to obtain information regards costs of entering Symi but there seems to be a lot of conflicting and confusing information. Can you please direct me to either a website or a person on Symi that can give me all necessary the information.
Thank you,
Isaac.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Illegal visiting yachts.

Postby Allan » 12 Jun 2011, 13:34

I've passed your query on to Adriana in the Symi Visitor Accommodation office on Symi. As a Symi resident and yacht owner she's better placed to answer your question than I am.

It's a busy time of year for them in the office so it could be a day or two before she has time to get back to you so please be patient.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Off Topic