Bumping into members on other Islands

Chat about anything else

Postby StDavid » 08 Feb 2011, 00:58

Wandering around various Greek Islands during the Summer over the years have any members bumped into the same people? I stayed in the Anastasia at the end of September 2010 and Gemma1 (Gail) was there at the same time although we did not speak. I sat there talking to my other half saying I was sure I had seen her before. Then it dawned, Plakias Crete in October 2009! We stayed at the Kostas Chrysoula and I am sure we saw her in the village.
It must happen a lot because if you like small, peaceful, no large crowds and character. We are bound to head to the same places. We Like Halki, Symi, Thassos, Kefalonia, Paxos, North East Corfu, More remote parts of Crete, Lesvos and Sifnos.
Anyone else have a tale to tell? :)
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby sugardens » 08 Feb 2011, 10:58

Haven't met other members yet (well don't think I have!) but a few years ago came across colleague on remote Greek island much to the annoyance of all parties!!!!
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Feb 2011, 12:02

:) Last year - in September - daughter and myself bumped into the crew from the previous year but i don't know if they were forum or not. Also bumped into a girl we had met two years previously and met up for a drink and catchup. As you say - small and friendly so bound to bump into people. Perhaps we should have badges made!!! What makes it even more friendly are the local business people who rmember - not only that you have been before but actually remember your name and who you were with! Lots asked where my son was and he hasn't been with us for three years as he now lives with his light of love :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby StDavid » 08 Feb 2011, 15:28

Bumping into colleagues must be tricky when your trying to chill and let your hair down.
Badges would be a good idea, I use different User names on different forums so it must be harder to tell who is whom.
I lived on Crete during the 1980's and was passing a new house one day where some welders were working. surprise, surprise, two of the welders were from my village back home.
It is a small world. I wonder what would happen if I extended it to our winter holidays? we either stay at Palolem beach or Cavelossim beach in South Goa India, or Puerto de Mogan on Gran Canaria.
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby StDavid » 09 Feb 2011, 22:50

Looks like September is going to be a busy month. My other half has booked a week from the 6th of September at the Kostas Chrysoulla in Plakias.
We are only home for a week and then off to Symi. I think we should have just stayed on Crete in a tent and caught a ferry instead of flying all the way home .
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 13 Feb 2011, 23:10

Yes St David I was in Plakias in October 2009 staying at the Dora, though I did visit the Kostas Chrysoulla a few times. I'll be back there again at the end of September so no Symi for me this year I'm afraid :(
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby StDavid » 14 Feb 2011, 15:24

Sorry you are missing Symi this year Gail. I start getting excited about visiting old haunts as soon as we book. Must get a life as there is a lot of the year to go before September. We like the Dora too, better views than Kostas Chrysoulla and quieter. You cannot beat the barman at the Kostas Chrysoulla though.
I think my other half would stop visiting if he left.
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Bluenose » 14 Feb 2011, 15:53

We first found Plakias back in the late 80`s, the area at the back of the Hotel Lamon, were just fields with goats and sheep on them, very cheap 180 drachma for two large beers at what was Julias place, along from the bridge, one of the best places I have ever stayed at.
Bluenose
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 15 Feb 2011, 07:54

Yes Angelo is a brilliant barman StDavid and really makes you welcome. I'll be very disappointed if he's not there when we go back to Plakias in September. I've always felt really comfortable going in there on my own, a bit like in the Sunrise Bar in Symi :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby JeanW » 22 Feb 2011, 12:08

Delighted to hear great reviews of Plakias. In January, I booked 2 weeks for early October, with Olympic, staying at Doras as I could not resist the reasonable prices.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Feb 2011, 08:06

I'm sure you'll enjoy Plakias Jean. Whilst it's not as scenic as Symi, there are some lovely walks up to the surrounding hill villages and you'll probably find it a bit cheaper than Symi.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Colette » 07 Mar 2011, 15:26

Whilst sitting outside a bar in Athens last saturday afternon ( yes it was warm enough!)with a friend from Symi she suddenly spotted a familiar figure walking towards us - it was Jim from Symi, who greeted us with " is this Elpida's?". When you consider the size of Athens the odds of him being on the same street that we were are must be phenomenal.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Mar 2011, 07:59

For one minute I thought you were going to say you'd bumped into Kojak Colette ;) . Hope you enjoyed your trip to Athens :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 08 Mar 2011, 12:07

I would have loved to meet up with Marcia again as it's been many years since she gave me a friendly thump! Sadly, an urgent visit to Bristol has had to take precedence. Dom and I will be appreciating Brunel's Passenger shed at Templemeads station. We hope that the Beer Festival which coincidently happens to be there will not interfere too much. Marcia will understand... :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Colette » 08 Mar 2011, 17:20

Thanks Gemma,we had a fabulous time in Athens. Kojak, Marcia will indeed understand the need for you to visit a beer festival.The actual day of M's birthday went off very well, a day up the Acropolis, followed by a dip in the hot tub on the hotel's roof ( with a view of the Parthenon) and then a jolly good night out where a couple of drinks were taken along with a great meal.You will see the photo's on Marcia's facebook thingy.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby marilena » 14 Aug 2011, 19:43

We live near to the north coast of Crete and often go over to Plakias for Sunday lunch. My husband sometimes cycles over (!) through Episkopi, Roustika, Moundros. I drive lazily across and we meet up for a late afternoon mal at Sirocco - the sunset view from there is superb. We stayed on Symi through the 80's-90's but haven't been back for ages now - it would b good to get over and see some of the old faces and places.
marilena
Starting Visitor

Postby benedetti » 20 Aug 2011, 21:35

I met a couple from Symi on the Isle of Dogs,
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic