Greetings from Hong Kong!

Chat about anything else

Postby sugardens » 18 Feb 2012, 04:26

I'm looking at the Symi webcam on my ipad and comparing it with view from our hotel window of HK island! Both stunning but it such different ways. Unfortunately the weather is similar so shall enjoy a week of culture rather than shopping which everybody keeps encouraging to do.....but I hate shopping! :)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 18 Feb 2012, 10:37

Sugardens - you lucky toad - wish i was in H.K. You might hate shopping but surely a walk round Stanely Market isn't out - fascinating just to take in the sounds, sights and smells. Also a trip up to the Peak is surely another 'must see' and the evening BBQs down on Repulse Bay. Short trip to Macau perhaps and have a flutter on the tables!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby sugardens » 18 Feb 2012, 10:55

I take it you've been here Snoopy2? Will do my best to fulfill my tourist duties but I'm definitely not going in a cable car and having been trapped on the Nathan Road once already , am not doing that again in a hurry. Please excuse me but must dash off for cocktails on the top floor..... :D
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Olga » 18 Feb 2012, 16:52

I've just come back from a walk "round Stanley Market", unfortunately this was Stanley County Durham, which in no way resembles H.K.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 18 Feb 2012, 18:47

I hope it's better than Consett market, Olga. that's gone way downhill since the Council got their hands on the Market Square. :evil:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 19 Feb 2012, 09:38

Enjoy the rest of your trip Sugardens. I've never been to Hong Kong but am planning a trip in November with my mother as understand the weather should be good then. Neither of us is keen on shopping though we might have a little browse ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 19 Feb 2012, 12:00

[quote="sugardens"]

I take it you've been here Snoopy2? Will do my best to fulfill my tourist duties but I'm definitely not going in a cable car and having been trapped on the Nathan Road once already , am not doing that again in a hurry. Please excuse me but must dash off for cocktails on the top floor..... :D
[/quote]
Yes been and had a month's stay in Hong Kong. Stayed in quite luxurious block above Repulse Bay with my stepdaughter and her new baby. Had a whale of a time but found it very humid. Loved the workmens' cafes down on the beaches a walk away from the tourist bits. Lovely real food with jugs of chilled San Miguel - heaven. The cable car is hairy - i don't think i took a breath the whole way up and will admit to being terrified but Oceon Park at the top was something else!!! - another place you should see - 2 valium before you get on the car. Wonderul views of the Bay!!! Found the food junks in the harbour rubbish but had a lovely meal on Food Street where you could eat any nationality in the world - gob smacking but of course ate Chinese. Enjoy it - it is a wonderful place - just not for too long.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby sugardens » 19 Feb 2012, 15:55

We're staying in Tsim Sha Tsui opposite HK island. We tookmferry over today and went up to the Peak ...... Stunning views and will post some pics when I can work out how to from my ipad. Marcus starts work tomorrow and I have 5 days to amuse myself. It's going to be raining for most of it so will be visiting all the galleries and museums I can find. Thanks for the tips Snoopy2.
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 20 Feb 2012, 00:20

:) Yes the views are spectacular Sugardens providing there isn't too much rain or worse still mist!!! The ferries are great fun to travel on - feels like thousands rushing on then thousands off - makes getting on the ferry to Symi seem but like a few!! Again enjoy - five days will go in a flash. If Lane Crawford the jeweller is still on the go - well worth spending a rainy afternoon in there. My son as a 22 month old was treated to a Cadbury's 'purple' with the nut in the middle and proceeded to drool it out of his mouth over L.Cs WHITE carpet then went off on a jolly up and down the escalator with his 3 year old sister, No i wasn't a negletful parent - distracted by humidity and a bit of business on behalf of a friend. Haven't been back since!!Lovely but expensive - costs nothing to look! :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SamanthaF » 20 Feb 2012, 09:33

@Sugardens - Go to Macau, it's an eye opener!

Also, racing at Happy Valley is super fun.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby sugardens » 22 Feb 2012, 02:58

HK now shrouded in fog so will the museums. But today is Marcus's birthday so after celebtatory lunch (Chinese of course so many courses) not sure what we'll be fit for.
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 22 Feb 2012, 11:23

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS. OOOOH where i live there isn't a decent Chinese restaurant but you have put me so much in the mood for a good Chinese nosh now have it planned for the weekend. Do go to Macau - trip on the hydrofoil alone is wonderful - packed with Chinese workers who have saved up to go and splurge it all on the tables in Macau and Macau has a wonderful faded beauty about it.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kon » 22 Feb 2012, 11:50

How about a Romantic junk boat cruise. 8-)
Happy birthday Marcus.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 23 Feb 2012, 10:55

[quote="snapperjon"]

The most important part of the celebration is, or course, Mythoptempi, when people have to use up all the Mythos. The date of this fine old tradition varies from year to year, but for some odd reason always seems to coincide with the time that I am on Symi.
[/quote]
Yes many go to that one Jon :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Off Topic