Ferry Rodhes-Symi need advise

Chat about anything else

Postby regina » 04 Mar 2012, 22:02

I'm planning to spend my Summer holidays in Symi. I'm a single traveller.
I've just booked the flight from Italy to Rodhes and I'm in touch with Nireus Hotel to book a single room. They need to know my arrival and departure dates, of course. Unfortunately I don't have ferry Summer timetable yet so I'm asking for advise. I know that the timetable hasn't been published yet but I believe it might be similar to last year one.
The flight should land on August 6th at 3:10 p.m. Does anyone know if I'll be able to get to Symi on the same day? Should I have to spend the night in Rodhes and move to Symi on the next day?
Then again, I have to come back home on August 22nd. The flight I booked should take off at 11:30 a.m. Do I have to move to Rodhes on the day before? Does anyone know if there is an early morning ferry which can take me to Rodhes in time to catch the plane?
I know that the island is busy in that period of the year and it's not easy to find a single room. I'm afraid that I won't be able to find an accomodation. So I'd be very grateful if you answered my questions and gave me the information I need.
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 04 Mar 2012, 23:20

The summer timetables aren't out yet Regina and definite timetables normally don't come out until one month before. It's best to keep checking up until your arrival. I'm not certain about an evening ferry from Rhodes to Symi on August 6th but there usually was a Dodecanese fast catamaran at about 5pm in the evening. The Dodecanese company always had an 8am catamaran service from Symi to Rhodes (Wednesdays are the usual transfer days for the UK.) That might not leave you much time to catch your flight. There is no information yet about the new larger ship run by the Dodecanese company so that might affect timetables also.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby regina » 05 Mar 2012, 09:18

Thank you for your Kind reply, Kojak!
I believe I have time enough to get to Symi on August 6th since moving to Rodhes harbour should takes me about half an hour, while I'd better leave Symi on the 21st and book a hotel in Rodhes to spend the night. Is this a good arrangement for my holiday?
Sorry to bother you but it's my first self-arranged holiday and I'm a little anxious about the journey and the accomodation... actually about everything!!!
By the way, this website and the forum are very helpful. I've got lots of information about the island and I can't wait to be there!
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 05 Mar 2012, 10:23

Hello Regina and welcome to the Chat Page. You don't need to apologise for bothering us, everyone here loves to talk about Symi. In fact once we start it's difficult to shut us up! :D

I can understand your anxiety, there seems to be a lot to organise and travelling alone makes it that much more stressful but it is worth it.

You will find the taxi drivers at the airport know about the Symi ferries and will take you right to the correct part of the harbour. The ticket office for the ferry (if you are travelling on the Dodecanese boat) is right on the harbour front where the ferry docks and you can book the ticket online to reduce the stress a little. On Symi the boat docks just a few metres from the Nireus.

The whole airport to hotel trip is really quite easy but if you are worried at any stage just call the hotel, you will find the staff very knowledgeable and helpful.

I think your plan to spend a night on Rhodes on the way home is a good one. As Kojak said there should be an early morning ferry that gets you to Rhodes in time for your flight but the timing would be tight and that would only add to the stress. A good night's sleep on Rhodes and a leisurely breakfast before getting a taxi to the airport is a more relaxing way to end the holiday. Although I guarantee you won't want to leave Symi!

I hope you have a great time on Symi Regina and do feel free to ask more questions here.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby regina » 06 Mar 2012, 09:24

Hi Allan!
I love reading this forum and I've been spending hours on these pages. I'm trying to figure out how my holiday has to be arranged. Usually I'm not anxious but planning this holiday is making me nervous! I've been checking Dodecanese website everyday looking for the new boat schedule, I'm sharing emails with Eleni from Nireus Hotel cause I want to confirm my reservation as soon as I can, and I'm looking for a room for my last night in Rodhes.
Unfortunately it looks like it takes Eleni a bit to reply to my emails! Ad that makes me crazy because I'm starting thinking that I won't find an accomodation. I believe that it is not easy to find a single room on the island, don't I?
Fortunately, I have a job which keeps me busy most part of the day. If I hadn't I'd gone crazy!!!
Anyway, I really can't wait to get to Symi, lying in the sun on the beautiful beaches I've seen in picture and having a dip in the clear water of Symi sea. Last Summer I was in Kos where a greek friend, who is a tourist guide, talked to me about Symi and made me wish to spend my holiday there.
Thank you very much for the information you gave me.
Hope to talk about Symi again so be patient as I'll have more questions for you in the future!
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 06 Mar 2012, 10:54

Regina. Most rooms have twin beds but it is possible for one person to stay in them. I think you would find the rates cheaper than the Nireus.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 06 Mar 2012, 21:28

Hi Regina

I'm glad you find the forum useful.

Don't be nervous, think of this planning as part of the fun of the holiday! It will all work out well in the end, I'm sure.

As Kojak mentioned, most accommodation on Symi is booked on a per-room basis and only one or two hotels have specific single rooms. In August the difficulty is not so much in finding a single room as finding a room at all! It is the island's busiest period so if you have decided on the Nireus it's probably best to make a firm booking as soon as possible.

Having said that, don't panic if there is sometimes a delay in getting a reply to your emails. Almost all of the tourist businesses on the island close down for the winter and there may not be staff working every day to answer emails.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sugardens » 06 Mar 2012, 22:36

:D Hello Regina. Every year I arrange our trip to Symi. I book the flights to Rhodes, I book the hotel in Rhodes town, I book the ferries and finally I book the accommodation on the island. I've done it so many times now I can promise you it will all work out for you to have a wonderful holiday. Last October we stayed at the Nireus and had a room overlooking the sea. What an amazing view to wake up to every morning. And of course that view costs more than a cheaper hotel further away from the harbour so you must chose what suits your budget best.
I hope you have a great time.....in fact I'm sure you'll have the time of your life! 8-)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 06 Mar 2012, 23:47

Regina - if you can afford the time book a day at Rhodes and a day on return. The ferries can be erratic at the best of times and in this unknown climate of economy etc then better safe than sorry. If you book an extra day coming and returning then you can go ahead and book your accomodation and know tha hopefully ferries will run. Go for it girl! To coin a well used phrase - no pockets in a shroud and its a long sleep when you are dead - just go for it.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby regina » 08 Mar 2012, 09:16

Hello Kojak, Allan, Sugardens, Snoopy2!
Thanks a lot for your advise.
I know that August is the busiest month and that's the reason why I want to book as soon as I can. It's been over a week since a last got an email from Nireus. I'm starting thinking that the room is no longer available. I would appreciate a reply, though!
Maybe Snoopy2 is wise and I'd better spend the first night in Rhodes, as well as the last one. And he is even wiser when he says that there are no pockets in shrouds!
Nireus location looks very comfortable to me as it's in the harbour, very close to taverns (as fas as I know). Does anyone know other accomodations I can book in the same area?
By the way, will any of you be on the island in the same period?
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 08 Mar 2012, 10:22

Regina, I have stayed in the Anastasoula Mouragiofor many years. It is just behind the Nireus and you get to it by going up the steps to the side of the police station, past the Post Office. The rooms are basic but clean and there is a fridge in most of the rooms and also a large communal fridge for those rooms without one. A continental breakfast is served for a small extra charge or you can simply walk around to the Nireus and have breakfast there. The telphone number is 22460 71364. (You wil have to put in the international code from Italy)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby regina » 08 Mar 2012, 10:29

Thank you very much Kojak!
I'll check for Anastasoula Mouragio! Do you know if they have an email address? My English is not very good at speaking on the phone and I'm afraid that they don't understand me!
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 08 Mar 2012, 15:28

I can't find an email address Regina. They contract rooms to Olympic Holidays - a British travel company but they also let out rooms privately. I'm afraid the telephone number is all I have.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 08 Mar 2012, 20:36

I've sent you a private email Regina.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby regina » 09 Mar 2012, 09:22

Thank you Kojak... I'll try to get in touch with them anyway! I might send them a fax. It'd be easier for them to understand me.
Maziemoo, I've just read your email. Thank you very much. I'll check with them as well.
Anyway, I thought that finding an accomodation would have been much easier since I started looking for a room well in advance (in March for August!)
Wish me good luck! ;-)
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Off Topic