greece

Chat about anything else

greece

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 13 Feb 2012, 16:02

Hi, I almost never come on here any more..as do many others. It is just SO repetitive..same old, same old.
What stuns me is there does not appear to be one comment on the disasterous position Greece is in. The chickens have certainly come home to roost..tax evasion, the honour system of public transport in Athens, slack immigration prodedures, the rort of the public servants etc etc.
Why has there been not one comment? Are you all that sycophantic that it is not a problem?
I'll tell you, it is only a matter of months before Greece is beyond redemption. The damage it will do to the rest of the ECU is is yet to be determined..but it will be disasterous. You will all suffer its dire incompetance..and so you should. Britain has one saviour..it kept the sterling.
In 2001 I told friends who have the ear of the fools in parliament to retain the drachma....to embrace the euro would be folly to the extent of irresponsibility. The fools did not listen.
The riots and protests that we see now are just a taste of what is to come.
Just wait and see the havoc of what those ex-iron curtain countries will provide.
Italy, The Iberian Peninsular countries will survive...just.
But, sadly Greece will not.
As my Athenian friend, Evi said.."We showed the world the light but we are now in darkness".
I await any replies with interest.
Ozzie Geoff

Geoff
I have edited your post slightly. Firstly to remove the swearing which, as you know, we don't much like round here however obfuscated it is. Secondly I've removed the potentially libellous comment about Greek politicians. I wouldn't want you to get into legal trouble and if I'd left your comment as it was Symi Visitor could have been seen as complicit in the libel too.

I'm sure you understand.

Allan
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

greece

Postby sugardens » 13 Feb 2012, 22:36

I think you'll find many Symi visitors now make their views known on facebook. Although I can see what a dire situation Greece is in I can also see it from the point of view of the islanders who feel distanced from the capital but feel equally vulnerable and powerless as most Greek citizens. The Symi expats who share their thoughts on facebook are increasingly alarmed about current events and are desperately concerned for their futures.
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

greece

Postby snoopy2 » 13 Feb 2012, 23:36

As you have stated Ozzie Geoff you don't visit the site too often. I think you will find that some of us have commented on the situation in Greece - i tried to look back my contribution but too far back to find. Yes it is tragic but i don't think accusing us of being sycophantic and ignoring the problem is doing yourself or indeed the site much good. Weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth from afar isn't going to solve the problem.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

greece

Postby Adriana » 14 Feb 2012, 13:23

There is enough negative news about Greece in the media already without our adding to it and the reality on the ground in a place like Symi is very different to that depicted by sensationalist reporters in Athens.

No matter what happens, those of us who live here have to work with what we have, good or bad, and make the best of what we've got.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

greece

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 14 Feb 2012, 14:47

but, adriana that is like some novacastrian not being concerned about what is going on in westminister.
its all very well that you are on symi, miles from athens but the fact is..you are in greece. end of story.
a good friend of mine is building a house on his home island of halki....he was so looking forward to its completion. it is now on hold. he and his wife are going to london for part of the games. he refuses to set foot on Greek soil..said the place is doomed.
that so called bond rescue might well go through but i am afraid it will only delay the inevitable.
no, i am not a prophet of doom....just a realist.
my affection/love of Greece is unchanged but by golly they have been negligent...for decades.
the chickens, roosters, geese, ducks and even budgies are coming home to roost....sadly, very sadly.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

greece

Postby Colette » 14 Feb 2012, 15:54

Hello there Geoff, I for one am worried about the sorry state of Greek finances and how it is affecting the people living on the mainland and islands. All someone like me can do is continue to visit and pass on my euros (or maybe drachmas soon?)to the local economy, not much in the great scale of things I know but it's all most of us can do.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

greece

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 14 Feb 2012, 16:25

well said,, colette. every single euro will count but the angst in the greek parliament is deplorable. the unions will be the demise of greece as we know it....it is inevitable.
i feel for the entire population BUT, they are architects of their own destiny.
"tax" was a 4 letter word, i have seen it in athens and many islands. the rorts on symi were/are almost laughable.
that hoarded cash will soon be like confetti.
germany will say 'enough is enough".
this fiasco not only affects europe, our economy (the best in the world AND under a labour govt.) watches greece like a hawk.
Ola will be giggling in norway..they spurned the EU. Sweden and denmark who retained their currency, like the Uk will probably (just probably) escape the worst of it. As for those baltic countries, and those ex-soviets in central europe...Mmmm your guess is as good as mine.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

greece

Postby Olga » 14 Feb 2012, 17:28

Like Collette, i think the best way we can support the people of greece is by visiting, and spending our hard earned pennies on the islands, and not whinging about the prices having risen (as they inevitably will.)I think we all realise that the situation is dire, but pontificating from a distance won't help anyone.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

greece

Postby snoopy2 » 14 Feb 2012, 23:44

Here here Oga and Colette. World economy is in a shambles - so how about getting real Ozzie Geoff and not prodding at people who actually DO support the Greek economy even knowing that money we pay may not convert to taxes but nevertheless are we not all guilty of tax evasion when we can!! Such is the nature of the beast but the beast is bigger in Greece -witnessed a smaller island - cash in the back pocket then moans about tax. We all pay it and moan- some are greater moaner and payers then others! Greece has been notorious for not paying its taxes -'Here's Johnny ' Pay up and shut up but those of us who love Greece will stil support What in monetary terms are you doing apart from shouting about it? Adrianna is right - enough negativity - take it to where people don't care = i wont massage your ego anymore by responding
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

greece

Postby snoopy2 » 14 Feb 2012, 23:56

Can i suggest that this topic is treated with the contempt that is deserves and that there are no more posting on the subject
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

greece

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 15 Feb 2012, 02:29

I fear the severe winter has frozen the grey matter, snoopy..(said in jest... :D :D ).
It is likely tourism will suffer as the main client bases of UK, Germany, Italy and France will be watching their pennies coupled with inevitable price increases. There may be some saviour with an influx of the Russian mafia...boy, you ought to see what they have done to Sardinia.. :(
Pity we are so far away..WA (Perth) is awash with money from the mining boom and don't mind spending it and don't mind travelling. There are 7 flights a day to Bali and its hard to get a seat.
A bit of trivia for you: Perth has more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the world. Err, I'm not one of them.. :P
Anyway, all we can hope is that Greece hauls it out of the pit of bankruptcy.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

greece

Postby snapperjon » 16 Feb 2012, 11:42

Hi Geoff,

Entertaining rant at the top of the page there.

I've been putting a few thousand a year into the Greek economy for the last few years by having holidays there.

What have you contributed?
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

greece

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 16 Feb 2012, 15:38

sadly, jon, i am so far away and that comment was a wee bit below the belt.
i reckon i have been to symi about 10-15 times...ask pat..and have always spent up as i love food and grog.. :P
i have also spent weeks in athens doing exactly the same thing.
again sadly i saw all these chickens that have come home to roost, i was astounded at the time but apathy took over and i thought.."what the heck its their country".
you collective folk go to idyllic, beautiful, graceful symi, don your rose coloured glasses and do not observe the underbelly.
that comment is not made with any malicious intent and hope it is accepted as such.
thankyou.

Edited to remove the swearing.

Please be careful Geoff

Allan
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

greece

Postby snapperjon » 16 Feb 2012, 16:38

So far away? You do know about aeroplanes, I take it? Plenty of people I know travel to that end of the planet for holidays. What's stopping you coming this way? And plenty of us have been to Greece as many if not more times as you claim to have done (as if that had anything to do with it).

Frankly, I think you are demonstrating some incredible arrogance, suggesting that we neither care as much as you do, or that we are too naive to comprehend the difficulties that our Greek friends are suffering. Who are you to say we "collective folk go to idyllic, beautiful, graceful symi, don your rose coloured glasses and do not observe the underbelly". Can we see your evidence for this outrageous and hurtful statement? How would you know what people may be doing to try to help? And, to repeat my earlier question, what are you contributing? (Apart from, that is, this rant)

Your opening statement on this thread reads: "I almost never come on here any more..as do many others. It is just SO repetitive..same old, same old.." So, Geoff, now you've got whatever it was that was troubling you off your chest, will you be going away again, or do you have anything constructive to say? Or do you have some more insulting comments to make?
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

greece

Postby Allan » 16 Feb 2012, 20:55

snapperjon wrote:

So, Geoff, now you've got whatever it was that was troubling you off your chest, will you be going away again, or do you have anything constructive to say? Or do you have some more insulting comments to make?

Jon, I'll answer this question for you since Geoff is no longer in a position to do so himself. The answer is yes, he is going away again and he won't be back.

We've had two and a half years of peace here and I'm not willing to allow that to change as a result of insults directed against people I know and care about.

Geoff, enough is enough.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

greece

Postby snapperjon » 16 Feb 2012, 21:59

I'll try to conceal my disappointment...

What on earth prompts people to come up with that sort of rubbish?

Bye bye, Geoff.

Have a nice day.
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

greece

Postby Kojak » 17 Feb 2012, 09:10

Well said, Allan. The fact that there hasn't been a big debate about Greece's financial problems on here doesn't mean we aren't concerned. Like Olga, Colette, Snoopy2 and Snapperjon and many others I continue to do my bit to support Symi (bar owners will confirm this :D ) by taking my holidays regularly on Symi.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

greece

Postby maziemoo » 17 Feb 2012, 09:37

sadly I wont be back this year but only because I will be attending my youngest son's wedding in Mexico (costing me at least an arm and a leg), but I'm hoping to return in 2013.

I find the situation in Greece very sad because whatever the rights and wrongs behind it all, it's still my favourite destination and Symi in particular is very close to my heart.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

greece

Postby Kon » 17 Feb 2012, 12:15

In my heart i know Greece will one day recover from all this ,the people will carry on with their lives ,the younger generation will change things for the better.
Over 4,000 years of history does not disappear because of a currency change .
As for the rioters ,well they are everywhere ,give them an inch and they take it a mile.
The beautiful warm climate in sumer will see lots of tourists flock to Greece and in my understanding in brief talks to cousins in Rhodes ,many hotels are booked already for the season .As for prices, many will be far cheaper than years before.

We've all seen and been through recessions ,we adapt and get on with the job.
For me no matter what they do Greece will always remain a part of my life and my childrens lives ,i will bring them over and over and over again no matter what the cost is .especially Symi ,beautiful place and beautiful people. 8-)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

greece

Postby D and E » 20 Feb 2012, 20:13

It is always a pity to see free speech stifled but if the majority are offended it is understandable.
I have just read a very interesting article today as to how Greece has been persuaded over the years to become one of the largest spenders in NATO on armaments and who benefited - yes : Germany and France.
The Euro is only failing because it it only goes half way : I always thought it would only work if there was economic union as well : unified tax, etc.
We have to remember that the powerful voices in the EU encouraged Greece to join the Euro. Germany has done very well out of it so it is only fair that they meet the lions share of any bail out.
We agree that we who love Greece and their wonderful citizens do our best to get over there and spend. September booked and looking for a late deal for May.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic