greece

Chat about anything else

greece

Postby D and E » 20 Feb 2012, 20:13

It is always a pity to see free speech stifled but if the majority are offended it is understandable.
I have just read a very interesting article today as to how Greece has been persuaded over the years to become one of the largest spenders in NATO on armaments and who benefited - yes : Germany and France.
The Euro is only failing because it it only goes half way : I always thought it would only work if there was economic union as well : unified tax, etc.
We have to remember that the powerful voices in the EU encouraged Greece to join the Euro. Germany has done very well out of it so it is only fair that they meet the lions share of any bail out.
We agree that we who love Greece and their wonderful citizens do our best to get over there and spend. September booked and looking for a late deal for May.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

greece

Postby snoopy2 » 21 Feb 2012, 10:57

Kon wrote:
In my heart i know Greece will one day recover from all this ,the people will carry on with their lives ,the younger generation will change things for the better.
Over 4,000 years of history does not disappear because of a currency change .
As for the rioters ,well they are everywhere ,give them an inch and they take it a mile.
The beautiful warm climate in sumer will see lots of tourists flock to Greece and in my understanding in brief talks to cousins in Rhodes ,many hotels are booked already for the season .As for prices, many will be far cheaper than years before.

We've all seen and been through recessions ,we adapt and get on with the job.
For me no matter what they do Greece will always remain a part of my life and my childrens lives ,i will bring them over and over and over again no matter what the cost is .especially Symi ,beautiful place and beautiful people. 8-)

Well put Kon - troubled times for your countrymen and difficult for you so far away.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

greece

Postby gfere40 » 17 May 2012, 14:56

Hi there
Greece, I am sure that will recover from all this awkward situation, but we have to get rid of all these politics that brought us here and never really helped us Greeks, instead of that they full their pockets with dollars and euros.
My country never been racist with any European country but if someone says that ''Greeks are Lazy'' who are they to say that? Anyway my love to all people from Symi, a fantastic place that I will discover it 1st days of September.

Grigoris
gfere40
Starting Visitor

greece

Postby David » 18 May 2012, 12:04

Without getting into the why's, wherefore's, who did what to whom and when and why. I would suggest you all view a programme on BBC 2 last night, you'll find it on the BBC
i-player. It was on at 21:00 (BST) on BBC2 on 17th May. It's by the BBC News business editor Robert Peston. Whilst everyone is responsible for their own part in this I think the blame is being unfairly shared out. it makes for pretty scary watching.
David
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

greece

Postby Sue L » 18 May 2012, 14:14

We live in scary times, I feel for the Greek people, lots of people avoid taxes particularly big business here in the UK I don�t condone it but as an individual there�s not much I can do about it. I lost my job early in the recession but managed to get a new one, at the moment I�m one of the lucky ones I can afford to go to Symi for my holidays. We travel independently so all the money we spend once we arrive on the island goes to local businesses. Symi is a wonderful place for a holiday I feel spending money there is probably the best thing I personally can do to help the island plus I get a good holiday. Attributing blame helps no-one, let�s hope the whole of Europe can get out of this mess
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

greece

Postby Kon » 18 May 2012, 14:20

Sue L wrote:
We live in scary times, I feel for the Greek people, lots of people avoid taxes particularly big business here in the UK I don�t condone it but as an individual there�s not much I can do about it. I lost my job early in the recession but managed to get a new one, at the moment I�m one of the lucky ones I can afford to go to Symi for my holidays. We travel independently so all the money we spend once we arrive on the island goes to local businesses. Symi is a wonderful place for a holiday I feel spending money there is probably the best thing I personally can do to help the island plus I get a good holiday. Attributing blame helps no-one, let�s hope the whole of Europe can get out of this mess

Well said Sue.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

greece

Postby Allan » 18 May 2012, 15:30

I agree Kon, Sue put it very well. What Olga called "Pontificating from a distance" a while ago certainly doesn't help anyone. Visiting Greece and spending money there does.

There were a couple of nice items on BBC Radio 4's 'You and Yours' this lunchtime about tourism in Greece and the bargains to be had this summer.

The programme is on the BBC website at (may not be available outside the UK) and the interesting bits, if you don't want to listen to the full programme, are from the start until 4 minutes 30 seconds in and from 26 to 37 minutes.

Two very positive reports.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

greece

Postby Joanie » 19 May 2012, 00:09

Surely Geoff's not barred yet again for voicing his opinion.Judging by all the replies, folk can give as good as they get, so therefore you have a good discussion going.Those of us that have been on here for years all know Geoff, and should be used to him by now.I've met the man and he's a very nice man, a gentleman in fact.Seems a shame he cant voice his opinion
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

greece

Postby Adriana » 19 May 2012, 12:35

Hi Joanie, it's not the opinion he expresses that is the problem - it is the language he uses to express it with. :oops: Being insulting and abusive and using 4-letter words is not acceptable on anyone's forum and can be off putting to first time visitors coming across this forum while looking for information about holidaying on Symi. :cry:

We all know that Greece has problems at the moment but there are plenty of places where this is covered in the media, to the point where judging by some of the emails I get, people are confusing Greece with the situation in Syria. :o

Let's focus on redressing the balance and accentuating the positive, for the good of Greece in general and Symi in the particular. :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

greece

Postby jeannie » 20 May 2012, 22:14

I think most people are quite aware of what is happening in Greece but everyone probably has enough problems of their own. If they are lucky enough to afford a holiday, get a bit of sun they probably do not want to think of whats is happening they will think about it when and if it happens. People need dreams and I know for one in the back of my mind I think of Greece there trouble and the poor people there. But I also like to have my dream of a beautiful Greek island(Symi) the wonderful people and the sun. How sad to be like you. Good Luck to Greece and all the people may things get better for you quickly
jeannie
Starting Visitor

Previous

Return to Off Topic