The Drachma

Chat about anything else

The Drachma

Postby MacDuff » 10 May 2012, 23:05

Does anyone know whether the tour companies have calculated the effects of Greece returning to the drachma if they either leave or are pushed out of the Euro :?:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby snoopy2 » 10 May 2012, 23:38

:?: Well MacDuff - there is the million drachma question! I would think on balance the tour companies have looked at the possibility and i think the Greeks will see a lot more tourists travelling, as i like to - independently. I foresee fewer destinations by tour companies but not a return to the 'cheap' holidays of yore in Greece. I do also see Greece opting out of the Euro. They were never happy to be in and didn't start on a level playing field so doomed to failure. The idea that the single currency would bode well for peace through economics i think is now blown out of the water - more likely to start a bun fight rather than stop it. Here endeth the lesson :twisted:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby snoopy2 » 10 May 2012, 23:39

P.S. nice to have you back - missed your blogs. Maybe see you later in the year!!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby Joanie » 11 May 2012, 18:12

Yes MacDuff good to see you,married life must be suiting you, as we dont see much of you these days. Take care my friend :D
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby D and E » 13 May 2012, 19:32

Looks like more Greek elections next month after coalition talks broke down again today. But at least we are starting to see the madness of austerity die across Europe although this troubled island will be the last with a man who puts VAT on pasties (if they are of a specific temperature) in charge of our economy. Actually the unellected Credit Agencies are in charge of our economy.
When we were in Symi last September many business folk were wanting the drachma back and who can blame them. Germany took Greece in at any cost and now they know the cost they are unwilling to pay the price although Germany has done very well out of the Eurozone.
Nice to see you back MacDuff.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The Drachma

Postby D and E » 13 May 2012, 19:34

Sorry Snoopy - the term pasties equates to braddies far we come fae.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The Drachma

Postby snoopy2 » 13 May 2012, 20:42

[quote="D and E"]

Sorry Snoopy - the term pasties equates to braddies far we come fae.
[/quote]
Would that be for far Forfar?
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby Adriana » 14 May 2012, 08:31

The man who gave custard pies a lower VAT rating than spinach pies is the one who is now in charge of PASOK. What is it about politicians and pastry? Have they all forgotten what happened to Marie Antoinette?
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The Drachma

Postby MacDuff » 14 May 2012, 17:39

Yes,initially month be month, then week by week, then day by day and now finally hour by hour the consequences of a government and indeed a people spending more money than they earn has caught up with the Greeks.The old Keynsian concept that if government spends enough then everything will somehow rectify itself is proven to be bogus. Adding further debt to the current one will not resolve anything but only exacerbate the problem. Returning to the drachma will the goverenment to de-value the currency and Greece may yet become the place for a cheap holiday. Greeks in general will be unable to afford imports and will be restricted to purchasing Greek products.Doom and gloom looms.
Thanks for the welcomes. Spending half my time in Cuba - which has looming problems if Hugo Chavez of Venezuela dies as he is the main benefactor, means that I cannot access the internet and only receive the news of the world (strange phrase that!) as the Castros see it.I did not know that my Province of Alberta was having an election until I returned from Cuba. However Albertans again elected a Progressive Conservative government which means that that party will have been in power for 45 years by the time of the next election. We have the highest employment rate in Canada, the lowest personal taxes and no sales tax - the only province without one. Also it is illgal for the Government to go into debt. I shall be around until mid-July then return "HOME" to Cuba
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby Mutzenhubel » 14 May 2012, 23:01

My apologies, but I am a non-native speaker. Though using five electronic dictionaries, I would need some advice: What is meant by "... equates to braddies far we come fae." and by "Would that be for far Forfar?" Would anybody be so kind to explain it to a reader with a limited command of English? Thank you.
Mutzenhubel
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

The Drachma

Postby snoopy2 » 14 May 2012, 23:49

[quote="Mutzenhubel"]

My apologies, but I am a non-native speaker. Though using five electronic dictionaries, I would need some advice: What is meant by "... equates to braddies far we come fae." and by "Would that be for far Forfar?" Would anybody be so kind to explain it to a reader with a limited command of English? Thank you.
[/quote]
8-) Scottish 'in jokes' dinnae fash yer heid aboot them. ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby MacDuff » 15 May 2012, 00:39

I notice Mutzenhubel that you are new to Symi Visitor Chat. I totally understand your problem with the various lingoes and as a distant Canadian share them.However,my Scots/English dictionary published by Alex Salmond PLC of the Royal Mile Press in Edinburgh,tells me that a Forfar Bradie is a mixture of mince and tatties wi' a few ingings a' wrapit up in a pastry crust. That the original shoppie that first produced the culinarey delight is on the north side of the toon o' Fofar an' west o' the main road tae Aiberdeen - an' Stinehive. There is apparently a distant culinary cousin produced in Cornwall ca'ed a Cornish Pasty. :D I'm telt that the bradie far exceeds the pasaty in quality, flavour and price. :idea:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby snoopy2 » 15 May 2012, 09:32

:) MacDuff - ye hiv hit the ba' on the heid!! Weel done. :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby MrsMcS » 15 May 2012, 14:51

I thocht they were Bridie's too but then I am far fae Forfar :)
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The Drachma

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 15 May 2012, 15:56

Mutzenhubel, I wouldn't worry about it.I'm from Scotland and I'm struggling with the patois. :)
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

The Drachma

Postby snoopy2 » 15 May 2012, 17:47

[quote="MrsMcS"]

I thocht they were Bridie's too but then I am far fae Forfar :)
[/quote]
Weel there ye gang - variations frae place tae place. In Aiberdeen they ca' Aiberdeen rolls rowies but doon here in Stinehive its baps but its the same thing!!I a'wise hid tae tak my jimmies tae school tae play in but doon the road they're ca'd something else.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The Drachma

Postby maziemoo » 15 May 2012, 18:27

perhaps you're non-the-wiser Mutzenhubel :?:
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The Drachma

Postby Mille » 15 May 2012, 18:57

Please, respect we have users that do not have English as their native tongue.

Thank You
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

The Drachma

Postby Allan » 15 May 2012, 19:40

Don't worry Mille, it makes no sense to me and I do have English (well, Yorkshire) as my native tongue. :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

The Drachma

Postby Colette » 16 May 2012, 19:08

Same here Alan, though I'm fluent in Mancunian (even though I almost lost all my faculties on Sunday afternoon until that very special goal) On the subject of the Drachma the advice on the radio yesterday was not to worry as even if the new government decides to leave the Euro it probabley won't happen overnight and even if it did our euros would be very strong against the Drachma. They did say that it would be a good idea to take more currancy than usual in case the banks strike - I'd already decided to do that in case there's no dosh in the cashpoint .No matter what Symi will still be as wonderful as ever 8-)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic