Jubilee

Chat about anything else

Jubilee

Postby D and E » 04 Jun 2012, 09:50

If only we had stayed another week on Symi we would have missed this wall to wall royalist nonsense. Every BBC presenter appears to think that the more sycophantic they can be the more chance of an MBE or something.

What have members of the forum done to embrace or avoid this Jubilee fervour ?
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby Allan » 04 Jun 2012, 10:03

I embraced the Jubilee fervour by attending the Olive Tree street party. ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Jubilee

Postby maziemoo » 04 Jun 2012, 10:11

being a royalist I chose to embrace the celebrations, it was uplifting to see so many people of various ages, backgrounds and nationalities having fun together :) I do of course appreciate and respect the viewpoints of others re this.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby snoopy2 » 04 Jun 2012, 11:04

[quote="D and E"]

If only we had stayed another week on Symi we would have missed this wall to wall royalist nonsense. Every BBC presenter appears to think that the more sycophantic they can be the more chance of an MBE or something.

What have members of the forum done to embrace or avoid this Jubilee fervour ?
[/quote]
8-) D and E - i agree with the sycophantic nature of many of the presenters - especially Alan Titmarsh - it was cringeworthy. Is he perhaps hoping for a Knighthood? I am not a royalist but put up a union jack flag flanked with Scottish saltires along the front of my home. At 85 the old bird is still fitter than a lot of people half her age and all in all does a good job for the country. Wall to wall sunshine here so i held a BBQ and asked some pals round - good day had by all and still the river pageant to watch as i recorded it. Britain knows how to put on a show ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby snapperjon » 04 Jun 2012, 11:34

I did my patriotic bit by recording some of the local events for posterity. That I get paid for doing this is purely incidental.
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Jubilee

Postby benedetti » 04 Jun 2012, 14:37

I have been invited to a Republican BBQ in Walton Tuesday but wee Jimmy is refusing to join my loony left pals as he calls them :o
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby Kojak » 04 Jun 2012, 14:48

Well done Wee Jimmy! I watched the whole days proceedings. I make no apologies from being a very ardent monarchist.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby shakey » 04 Jun 2012, 16:48

Well done Queenie for everthing you do for our country. I would never want to trade places with any royal as I have a life of my own to live, and do not like being judged by smarmy oiks. Good luck Ma'am . Luckily I am on Symi and tomorrow will be celebrating Mrs Shakey's birthday.
shakey
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Jubilee

Postby snoopy2 » 05 Jun 2012, 10:47

8-) Have a good birthday mrs shakey - and you shakey. You missed a grand show last night for the Jubilee concert - aging rockers and 'sirs' all over the stage - some i am afraid who have lost it!!! Sir Cliff and Paul McC - quit while you are ahead. :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby benedetti » 05 Jun 2012, 11:38

I must have celebrated as there was a photo of me and wee Jimmy on facebook with Queenie and Princey masks on. I'll be thrown out of the Republican party, better join Respect I suppose.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby Adriana » 05 Jun 2012, 12:41

For some of Ged and Mike's photographs of the Jubilee festivities on Symi, please click on our Out and About page :)

Well, now, when would one be able to celebrate the 60 year reign of a British monarch while on a small Greek island in the last outpost of Europe during an economic meltdown? To use BBC Speak - a once in a lifetime opportunity :twisted:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby Joanie » 07 Jun 2012, 23:44

I spent the day in London on Whitehall, and was about 5 yards from the Queen , Will, Kate, and Harry, and enjoyed every minute of it . if I knew how to put the pic of HRH on i would put it on. Its so easy on other websites but its so long since I put one on here I forgot how to do it lol
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby maziemoo » 08 Jun 2012, 22:58

lucky girl Joanie, great to be part of an historical moment :)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby Adriana » 17 Jun 2012, 10:19

Hi Joanie, If you email your picture to one of the moderators I am sure they will be happy to put it up for you :-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby MacDuff » 21 Jun 2012, 04:15

Sixty years ago we older folks witnessed a King looking very much like the dying man that he was, bidding farewell to his eldest daughter who at 21 had dedicated herself to service. Only a few days later she was to return as Queen to be received by Winston Churchill her first Prime Minister. Prime Ministers of different political hues (and some of indifferent character) have come and gone during those sixty years - but the Queen has continuously fulfilled her promise. There are those who would prefer to have elected Presidents as Head of State - say Mitterand or Giscard d'Estaigne, Jimmy Carter or George W. Bush maybe even Vladamir? The constitutional monarchy system is illogical, archaic, even fuedal - with just one thing in it's favour - IT WORKS! We (I include all sixteen countries) are indeed fortunate and a touch of gratitude to the gracious lady is not misplaced!
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby Gemma1 » 21 Jun 2012, 08:25

What a great post MacDuff, it brought a tear to my eye.

Must confess I made use of the extra bank holiday by planning my trip to Paxos round it - us working folk need all the help we can get to fit in our Greek holidays ;) . I did watch some of the Jubilee celebrations on the TV over the weekend before I flew out on the Monday. I have a lot of respect for the Queen and think she's done a great job over the last 60 years :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby D and E » 23 Jun 2012, 23:52

MacDuff - You will therefore be peased to know that HM had a winner at Royal Ascot on Friday. Her Crown Estates have recorded record profits this year at in excess of �200m and as her income from the taxpayer is linked to this she is getting an uplift of 20% from her UK subjects - don't thnk our Commonwealth cousins contribute. So all in all not a bad wee Jubilee. It certainly WORKS.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby MacDuff » 02 Jul 2012, 03:49

When the Queen is in Canada, her expenses and all associated costs are met by Canada and I think that probably applies to other Commonwealth countries. Regarding the profitability of the Crown Estates, maybe some of the UK inmdustries should learn from them. Yes, I am delighted to learn that Her Majesty had a winner at Ascot, her mother also had a great interest in the nags.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Jubilee

Postby D and E » 02 Jul 2012, 08:21

I am sure many UK industries would welcome being gifted a large land based asset from the Nation and being underwritten by he UK taxpayer should anything go wrong. Was that HRH or Private Sector Banking that I described ? Oops, both !
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Jubilee

Postby Kojak » 02 Jul 2012, 09:29

Actually the country makes a sizeable profit from the Crown Estates which are handed over by the Sovereign at the beginning of the reign in exchange for the Civil List. That's in addition to the income from tourism which the Monarchy brings in. So, the Crown Estates pay tax and now the Queen pays tax on a smaller income than she would have from the Crown Estates which are also taxed. The words "Double Whammy" spring to mind. :)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic