Spain in January

Chat about anything else

Spain in January

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Oct 2012, 18:51

Well as the Anastasia is completely full for my dates next year :cry: and there are no rooms for one person at the Taxiachis I have taken the plunge and booked the Roulla Studios in Halki for next September. Of course I will miss Symi but hopefully I'll make it back there in 2014 - and will be booking as soon as the Olympic brochure comes out ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Spain in January

Postby mr wotsin » 25 Oct 2012, 20:42

Did you try the Village hotel with your own transport?
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Gemma1 » 26 Oct 2012, 00:44

[quote="mr wotsin"]

Did you try the Village hotel with your own transport?
[/quote]

No but I've just priced it up and it would cost �311.50 for a room at the Village hotel so would work out far too expensive by the time you've added flights and transfers. It's not too bad if there are 2 of you but if you're travelling solo you can't beat Olympic for value for money IMHO.

I've booked Halki now but hopefully will be back on Symi in 2014 :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Spain in January

Postby mr wotsin » 26 Oct 2012, 20:41

Pity, Geoff and Maureen stayed there and were well impressed, breakfast included.
It's snowing here at the moment
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Colette » 26 Oct 2012, 22:56

Blimey Willie, lets hope it melts before your journey to Keswick, if we all get snowed in they may run out of drinks!!!!
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Spain in January

Postby JeanW » 26 Oct 2012, 23:20

Just to follow on from Gemma's attempts to book for Symi Sseptember 2013,I have had a similar problem travelling solo, I found there were no available bookings anywhere for September 2013 with Olympic( i am not a fan of Anastasia so would definitely not want to go there even if available) so have decided to travel independently and have booked accommodation in Yialos but realise how much more expensive my holiday will be!!! For instance return flights to Rodos from Gatwick with Thomas Cook are currently being quoted at �283 return!!! and I will still have to pay transfers ect.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Gemma1 » 27 Oct 2012, 09:45

[quote="JeanW"]

Just to follow on from Gemma's attempts to book for Symi Sseptember 2013,I have had a similar problem travelling solo, I found there were no available bookings anywhere for September 2013 with Olympic( i am not a fan of Anastasia so would definitely not want to go there even if available) so have decided to travel independently and have booked accommodation in Yialos but realise how much more expensive my holiday will be!!! For instance return flights to Rodos from Gatwick with Thomas Cook are currently being quoted at �283 return!!! and I will still have to pay transfers ect.
[/quote]

I think there are limited rooms that Olympic will sell for one person so you need to book early if you want to get one and unfortunately I left it too late for next year. I could have got in at the Irini but couldn't face the thought of all those steps on my own with my luggage and really I prefer staying up in the village. I felt a bit isolated at the Irini on my own - I seem to talk to more people at the Anastasia and of course the Sunrise is at the end of the lane - there's always someone to talk to there, canine, feline and human ;) .
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Kojak » 27 Oct 2012, 13:03

A friend of mine has had the same problem with the Anastasoula in the harbour. Olympic are holding back the remaining available rooms there for couples. While on the face of things, this would provide more income for Olympic, a single person would require one less seat on the plane. Olympic are having to use other flight carriers because the Monarch wide-bodied jets are no longer available to them and these carriers such as Thompson will charge the earth so in the long run I don't think Olympic will lose that much by letting rooms to single holidaymakers.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Spain in January

Postby cottontail » 28 Oct 2012, 14:13

Hey Gemma
Well its funny how things go-i thought i would never want to go back to Halki (as you know) my other half thought the same until one night we bothcomplete peace and quite so if thats what you like i know you will have a wonderful time ;) ......
cottontail
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Gemma1 » 29 Oct 2012, 08:29

[quote="cottontail"]

Hey Gemma
Well its funny how things go-i thought i would never want to go back to Halki (as you know) my other half thought the same until one night we both said "i wouldnt mind returning to Halki for a week" ha ha so if you like complete peace and quite i know you will have a wonderful time ;) ......

[/quote]

I'm going prepared for it to be quiet cottontail and will take the kindle that I'm getting for Christmas, loaded with lots of books. As long as the weather is ok I'm sure I'll be fine as I will mooch around, read books and just relax in the lovely Greek sunshine :) . There are lots of islands I've only been to once and Halki might well end up being one of them, I'll let you know what I think ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Spain in January

Postby cottontail » 29 Oct 2012, 13:56

cant wait to hear all about it :D
cottontail
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Liz » 31 Oct 2012, 08:51

Hi Gemma - I;ve been to Halki 6 times now and we're hopefully returning again next year .We love it , its small,friendly and has a good mix of bars and Tavernas.
I run the Halki Visiting site and we have a few members who travel solo.
The transfer back is usually about 8.30 thats presuming you are returning on a Wednesday, it varies other days but there are now 3 boats running so a little more flexibility in times.If I can be of any help please ask ;)
Liz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Gemma1 » 01 Nov 2012, 08:30

[quote="Liz"]

Hi Gemma - I;ve been to Halki 6 times now and we're hopefully returning again next year .We love it , its small,friendly and has a good mix of bars and Tavernas.
I run the Halki Visiting site and we have a few members who travel solo.
The transfer back is usually about 8.30 thats presuming you are returning on a Wednesday, it varies other days but there are now 3 boats running so a little more flexibility in times.If I can be of any help please ask ;)
[/quote]

Hi Liz, I will be returning on a Wednesday and it's good to hear the transfer isn't too early as Jet 2 have changed the time of my flight so I don't return from Rhodes until the evening now. You must really like it if you've been 6 times and I know there are some people out there that actually prefer Halki to Symi ;)

I found some very really useful information and pictures of the Roulla Studios on the Halki Visiting Site which was very helpful :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Spain in January

Postby maziemoo » 01 Nov 2012, 16:05

[quote="Kojak"]

A friend of mine has had the same problem with the Anastasoula in the harbour. Olympic are holding back the remaining available rooms there for couples. While on the face of things, this would provide more income for Olympic, a single person would require one less seat on the plane. Olympic are having to use other flight carriers because the Monarch wide-bodied jets are no longer available to them and these carriers such as Thompson will charge the earth so in the long run I don't think Olympic will lose that much by letting rooms to single holidaymakers.
[/quote]

perhaps Olympic are banking on the 'Northern' contingent making a block booking ;)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Liz » 04 Nov 2012, 17:32

Thanks Liz,I'll start checking when as it gets closer :) I don't think you have a webcam on there do you?
I do love the Symi webcam :D
Liz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Spain in January

Postby mr wotsin » 21 Jan 2013, 23:16

Just returned from a week in spain, flew to Barcelona, got a hire car and drove about 140 kilometers south, 30k from Salou. The . temperature was about 8 to 14c, not very warm. We had a great villa that slept 8 in 4 double rooms. But the electrics kept tripping out for the first 3 days, probably because no one had used it for a couple of months. Best meal we had was a "menu del dia" four courses for 10 euros, great value. Got on a toll road in dark first night from airport, cost about 24 euro for 140k. The area around L'ametlla de mar had wind socks every 10k at the roadside and they were horizontal all week. Got home to find the car covered by 8" of snow.
Happy new year everyone.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Gemma1 » 22 Jan 2013, 08:31

8-14 degrees sounds like bliss compared to the temperatures outside at the moment :) though the toll road doesn't sound good!

My car looks like an igloo at the bottom of the garden, it hasn't moved since last Friday. We're flying out to Goa at the weekend - can't wait for that lovely hot sunshine 8-) Just hope we can get to the airport and the flight takes off ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Kojak » 22 Jan 2013, 21:03

Not a lot of snow here but it's damned cold... :cry:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Joanie » 23 Jan 2013, 06:51

Good luck Gemma with the flight, I'm flying on Sunday to Oz and just hoping we dont get anymore snow here in Manchester,just hope we can take off. Have a nice holiday 8-)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Spain in January

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Jan 2013, 08:08

[quote="Joanie"]

Good luck Gemma with the flight, I'm flying on Sunday to Oz and just hoping we dont get anymore snow here in Manchester,just hope we can take off. Have a nice holiday 8-)
[/quote]

The weather forecast shows that temperatures are due to rise at the weekend Joanie and it's showing up to a sweltering 8 degrees in Manchester on Sunday so hopefully we'll both get off ok. Have a wonderful time in Oz :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic