hotel Rhodes

Chat about anything else

hotel Rhodes

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Jul 2013, 09:43

:| Hi guys. This is a bit cheeky as i am forsaking Symi this year and going to Halki. We arrive late on the 4 September and need somewhere to lay our heads near to where the ferry will take us to Halk on the 5. Going to book our own hotel as i just don't trust Olympic not to shuttle us out to filth and squaller again in Falaraki.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Jan » 15 Jul 2013, 12:25

From which harbour does your Halki ferry depart?

In days of yore the only way to Halki was from a small port called Kamiros Skala quite a way south of the airport. No point in me recommending a hotel in Rhodes town if that's still the case. But maybe there are more connections now?

Jan
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Andy W » 15 Jul 2013, 15:35

I think Snoopy2 might be using the Dodekanisos Express which goes to Halki, amongst other places every Tuesday and Thursday from Kolonna
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Jan » 15 Jul 2013, 17:14

If you (Snoopy2) really are travelling via Dodek (not very Olympic-like? Maybe you're doing that part independently too?) then the Hotel Silvia (also spelt Sylvia) at Kolokotroni 114 is a reasonable bet.

It's quiet, not too far to walk - downhill - to Kolonna and can cope with late arrivals as long as you let them know in advance. You can probably get a better price via one of the hotel booking aggregators eg TravelRepublic or Booking.com than by booking direct.

Enjoy Halki when you get there.

Jan
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Jul 2013, 19:23

[quote="Andy W"]

I think Snoopy2 might be using the Dodekanisos Express which goes to Halki, amongst other places every Tuesday and Thursday from Kolonna
[/quote]
Don't suppose you know the time of the ferry on the Thursday? This is a minefield.
a) we don't want to spend a night in Falaraki which we will undoubtedly do if we stay in Rhodes and
b) ferry point i have traced is indeed Kamiros Scala. 9:30 am.
Plan is to bypass being with Olympic from the airport onwards hoping to get a decent hotel for some sleep and a quicker ferry to Halki. It's a long haul from n.e. Scotland to Symi and Halki!!!!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Andy W » 15 Jul 2013, 19:45

Nice and easy, 09:00 from Kolonna, into Halki at 10:20. You'll be there before or at the same time as the ferry from Kamiros Skala
Kamiros Scala is really expensive to get to by taxi as an independent traveller, 40 euros from the airport, 50 euros from Rhodes Town, and although there is a bus service it won't get there in time to catch a 9:30 ferry..
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Jul 2013, 21:36

[quote="Andy W"]

Nice and easy, 09:00 from Kolonna, into Halki at 10:20. You'll be there before or at the same time as the ferry from Kamiros Skala
Kamiros Scala is really expensive to get to by taxi as an independent traveller, 40 euros from the airport, 50 euros from Rhodes Town, and although there is a bus service it won't get there in time to catch a 9:30 ferry..
[/quote]
Andy are you absolutely sure about the time, from Kolonna on Thursday 5 September 9:00 and do i need to book? Already been in touch with a hotel in Kamiros Scala and don't want to add to stress if i can get a ferry from Kolonna. Boy these islands don't make it easy to reach them!!!! If we can go from Kollona then will get a hotel in Rhodes.

Checked the Dodekosis Seaways and as you say there is a 9:00am ferry. Just need a hotel and surely i am on my way. Assuming Chalki and Halki are one in the same!! Just had an advanced age birthday so obviously not getting any better at this caper - obviously getting worse - i am a wreck. Will need to have another two weeks in Symi to counter the strain of getting to Halki
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Andy W » 15 Jul 2013, 22:25

Yeas, Chalki and Halki are the same, I've also seen Xalki, all the same Greek word of course, just different ways of showing it in the Western alphabet.
I'd book the ferry once you've firmed up on your choices, they market daytrips to Halki and Tilos using it so it may well fill up close to the date of departure. Book a week in advance or more, no problems. Bring the booking confirmation with you and exchange it at the Kolonna ticket office for actual tickets. Don't be worried if the ferry isn't there when you get to Kolonna, it spends Wednesday night at Symi and does an early morning trip from there to Rhodes before setting off to Kos via Halki, Tilos, and Nissyros.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby snoopy2 » 16 Jul 2013, 00:12

8-) Thanks Andy. Now just need a hotel and i am there. Scary stuff this Greek island milarky!! :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Gemma1 » 16 Jul 2013, 08:18

I'll be in the same position as you Snoopy but think I'll leave it up to Olympic to take care of me - it will be interesting to see where I end up. The holiday to Halki has already crept over the �400 mark so I don't want to add to the expense by forking out for extra taxis and ferries when they're included. It could be an 'interesting' experience ;) .
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby snoopy2 » 16 Jul 2013, 10:01

:?: We can swap notes on return Gemma1. Having been bitten once - not going to go through grot city again. We didn't get a wink of sleep in the black hole Olympic put us in to and being in the place was like a scene out of The Rake's Progress - drunks, kids running wild, t.v. blaring out music and the room - well i wont go there!! If we take the responsibility then at least we can start our holiday refreshed and cut out almost a day's faff and travel time. Good luck. ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Gemma1 » 17 Jul 2013, 08:14

I'm hoping that by mid September Olympic will have quite a few spare rooms and will be kind to me. We can compare notes when I get back ;)

Checking Olympic weekly now for Symi next September but all that's available at the moment are silly prices at the more expensive properties :cry: - I guess it's still a bit early yet.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby maziemoo » 17 Jul 2013, 08:37

[quote="Kojak"]

I'm also checking Symi daily becaue they haven't got half the accommodation loaded on yet. :evil:
[/quote]

Saw a message on FB yesterday saying that Olympic's 2014 brochure is out now but when I checked again last night the cheapest accommodation was the Nireus where a single room was �792 for a week :o I won't be going anywhere at that price. Hopefully it won't be long before they load the rest of the accommodation.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

hotel Rhodes

Postby Kojak » 18 Jul 2013, 18:16

Hi Gemma. All the accommodation seems to be loaded on now. You will be ok for the Anastasia in Chorio but my usual accommodation at the Anastasoula Mouragio will now cost me almost �600 as they have designated the room as sleeping 3 persons - unless they have bunk beds in there I can't see it happening. It looks like my days with Olympic will end next May.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Off Topic