Storage

Chat about anything else

Storage

Postby Pollychops » 08 Apr 2014, 21:28

We are booked for the first two weeks in July in Chorio, as for most a visit to Symi means lots of walks, problem is I have just had a toe fusion procedure and my walking will be limited. I am considering taking my small inflatable kayak with the intention to paddle round to Nimborio from the Harbour and from Pedi to Agia Marina. Is there somewhere in the Harbour area where I could store the kayak at the end of the day rather than lug it all the way back up to Chorio, when its deflated it is small suitcase size so it would not take up too much space. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Thanks
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby snoopy2 » 10 Apr 2014, 19:09

:D Double check with Kojak but it might be that the local spiders can help you out. Kojak told me they carry suitcases up the Kali so may be you could hire a couple to look after your canoe. :D
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Storage

Postby Allan » 10 Apr 2014, 21:47

That's certainly an interesting question Pollychops!

My suggestion would be to talk to your tour operator or accommodation provider when you get there. The major ones have offices in Yialos and may be persuaded to look after your kayak for you. If they themselves can't help they should be able to suggest something.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Storage

Postby Pollychops » 11 Apr 2014, 05:52

Thanks Allan, I will contact my accommodation to see if they can help, if I can't find anywhere I will use the bus to get up there anyway as my foot will not be able to take the strain of walking up the steps. That's my excuse for this year!!
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby JeanW » 11 Apr 2014, 14:05

Hello Pollychops, I am a regular traveller to Symi and have limited mobility - I am going in September and am staying at Pedi Beach Hotel with Olympic Holidays. Whilst I have not walked up the Kali Strata for many years, it has not stopped me getting around. The Symi bus is so reliable, especially as Lakis son is now a driver, they do not take a lunch break any more. When on the bus you just press the bell and they will drop you of wherever you want to be. You can get of at the Windmills and walk down past the Pharmacy and arrive in the Village Square. Regarding going to Nimborio in July, I am sure the water taxis will be running from Yialos. Enjoy your trip..
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby Pollychops » 11 Apr 2014, 18:24

Hi JeanW, we have been to Symi several times before and are aware of the bus service etc, I will be using it to get up to Chorio myself as my foot will not be 100 %. I am just trying to see if I can leave the kayak in the bag @ the harbour. We do use the boat taxis but we also like to do a fair bit of walking so the kayak is an alternative for the exercise part of our holiday. I will miss my walking this time around but there's always next year. Thanks for your help.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby Adriana » 14 Apr 2014, 12:15

Please bear in mind that with wash from the ferries and water taxis, not to mention the meltemi in the afternoons, an inflatable kayak may be quite hard work.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Storage

Postby Pollychops » 14 Apr 2014, 14:04

Hi Adriana, thanks for your message, I am a seasoned 'Paddler' and used to the waves etc, I will be close to the shoreline so if I capsize I should be ok. One concern with any inflatable is the temp as the air within heats up and can deflate slightly. My intention is to paddle round to Nimborio as I have always noticed the water tends to be fairly calm. I am thinking about inflating and departing from just past the clock tower so should miss most of the wake from the larger vessels fingers crossed.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby MARTIN RIPLEY » 15 Apr 2014, 09:13

It was interesting to read about the affect that temperature has on inflatable boats but then I suppose we all know that you can't have your kayak and heat it! Tee hee
MARTIN RIPLEY
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Storage

Postby Kojak » 15 Apr 2014, 23:37

Martin!... Groan.... :( :( :(
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Storage

Postby MARTIN RIPLEY » 16 Apr 2014, 08:51

Sorry Kojak but I've been trying for years to get that joke into an item on Symi chat and I just couldn't resist! I'm afraid my jokes don't get any better.
MARTIN RIPLEY
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Storage

Postby Pollychops » 16 Apr 2014, 17:02

You can't beat a good end of pier joke
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby David » 16 Apr 2014, 17:56

And you don't get anymore end of pier than Kojak!! he's only jealous that he didn't get it on before you Martin.
David
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Storage

Postby Kojak » 17 Apr 2014, 22:01

End of pier?. I've fallen off it David - actually through it - Pedi pier August 1982. :D :D :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Storage

Postby mr wotsin » 19 Apr 2014, 15:50

Could just chain the suitcase to the railings in the Harani boat yard each night.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby Pollychops » 19 Apr 2014, 18:57

I did think about leaving it in an old boat that's in need of repair, I can't really see it getting pinched, in all our times in visiting Symi we have never seen a kayak, it's not an expensive one anyway. I do have a collapsible trolley specifically for dragging suitcases so depends on weight I may bring that.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby Kojak » 20 Apr 2014, 19:31

If it's a small case, Pollychops, I'm sure one of the cafe bars in the harbour will let you leave it there - you might have to patronise them frequently of course. :D :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Storage

Postby Pollychops » 20 Apr 2014, 20:38

That is another option I will look at, I will have to stop when passing to quench my thirst following paddling back from Nimborio. That's my excuse for a beer!!!
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Storage

Postby Kojak » 20 Apr 2014, 23:07

As good an excuse as any! :D :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Storage

Postby SueO » 21 Apr 2014, 08:32

We often leave our walking sticks at Pachos for the day if we've walked down from the village and are taking a boat trip - never a problem although we certainly do frequent that particular establishment on a regular basis! Not as big as a kayak I know but worth a try.... :)
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic