Hello!

Chat about anything else

Hello!

Postby Sunshine » 03 Dec 2012, 21:00

...Sunshine here...Big Al and Lynn actually....been loving Symi since our first visit...met Kojak on the old chat page when he still had his bad neck and walked into Pats Bar in 2002 to meet his mates...and never looked back...we're from the north east (Northumbria actually)...I'm a chartered surveyor of sorts (retired) and Lynn has the best job in the world - she's a grannie!!!!....
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby SueO » 04 Dec 2012, 11:18

Hi - I'm Sue and husband is Dennis although known, for some reason, as Alan to many of our Greek friends. We've not missed a year on Symi since 1986 and hope to have many more visits before the need for zimmer frames/wheelchairs makes the island impractical for us! Both retired, living in a village just south of York as we have done since our marriage 38 years ago. Actually Dennis is a local lad but I'm originally from Essex/North London and still, after 45 years in Yorkshire, haven't lost my London accent!

We always stay in Chorio and used to be great walkers - now much of our time is spent relaxing and/or partying on the Triton. So glad Makis brought her back from Rhodes in September. Hi to anyone out there who shared the 'champagne cocktail' and Pimms Party trips!
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby Eleanor » 04 Dec 2012, 16:38

Hi Eleanor here. Myself and partner have been visiting Symi now for over 10 years (although my first visit was way back in the 80s when I used to frequent the Meltemi)loved the Island then and still do. Currently just been made redundant as Sales Exec with a hair and beauty company but hey ho life goes on (probably too old now for the business)
Met loads of lovely people over the years
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby happyashellas » 04 Dec 2012, 23:04

My name is George and my wife Lynda and I have been to Symi several times and love the place. We stay in Edinburgh where I am employed as a 24hr recovery mechanic and my wife works in office administration. Can't wait for July as it's snowing, freezing and too busy now.......
happyashellas
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Hello!

Postby D and E » 05 Dec 2012, 07:34

Well we are Derek and Eiri. I, Derek, am a 54 year old Scot from Aberdeen who moved to Wales some 22 years ago and "entrapped" Eiri from Capel Bangor, near Aberystwyth. We both work for the Forestry Commission, Eiri promoting wood as a fuel and me enabling renewable energy developments in the forests. Being Civil Servants our ability to keep returning to Symi is under attack but we won't let the bu***rs get us down. We live just south of Aber and make sure we see the sea every day but see our special bit of sea every May and September 8-) 8-)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Hello!

Postby snapperjon » 05 Dec 2012, 10:04

Hello everyone! Nice to hear from you. Elaine and I have met some of you, but as we all naturally tend to visit Symi at different times we only 'meet' here and the like. It's nice to put a little flesh on the bones as it were!

If there are any mods out of bed yet: would it be a good idea to have a 'hello!' sticky for newcomers to SV?
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby Allan » 05 Dec 2012, 10:43

snapperjon wrote:
If there are any mods out of bed yet: would it be a good idea to have a 'hello!' sticky for newcomers to SV?
Cheek! I've been up for minutes!

Thread stuck as requested.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Hello!

Postby Olga » 05 Dec 2012, 18:23

Hi I'm Olga, I live in County Durham,(quite close to Mr Wotsin apparently) although I have never met him, and I've known Norm for years, from when he lived even further oopt north than he does now. I am retired, (after being made redundant), and like lots of you, Andrew and I will try to visit Symi until the steps get too much for our knees.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Hello!

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 07 Dec 2012, 12:28

Hi Jon
My wife Jackie and I are retired and, to keep the old brain cells ticking over we make and sell preserves at our local farmers market here in the south side of Glasgow.We are relative newcomers to Symi by comparison to Kojak et al. We first came in June 2005 and like everyone else we were captivated by the charm of the place and its people. All in all we have come to Symi about 10 times. We are back in May 2013.
By the way my moniker reflects the fact that I was a hackney driver many moons ago.
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Hello!

Postby Mutzenhubel » 07 Dec 2012, 16:05

My name is Rolf Mueller aka Mutzenhubel (there are at least 18 R.M. in Munich). The SV Chat Page is an excellent means to maintain and improve the command of English of a non-native speaker. Since 2001 my wife Hannelore and I are more or less regulars in Harani. (Un)fortunately I turned 70 this year, but we do hope to have the opportunity to continue to come back to Symi for many years, next time in May 2013.
Mutzenhubel
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hello!

Postby Oor Willie » 07 Dec 2012, 16:31

Hi I'm Willie married to Heather we live just to the south of Glasgow, I'm a transport manager with a large gasses company and Heather is a home care assistant, we first visited Symi on a day trip from Rhodes in 1998 but we did not start spending our holidays there till June 2005 since then we have been 11 times usually in early June and if funds permit back in September. We love the island and it's people and never even consider going anywhere else for our annual break
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Dec 2012, 09:26

Hi I'm Gail - Gemma is my dog's name though I sadly lost her on the 31st July this year at almost 14 :cry:

I first discovered Symi on a day trip from Rhodes in 1991 and was determined to go back and stay - though it took me 16 years to get back there. I'm a Symi novice compared to most of you on here as have only been 4 times as I'm still discovering new Greek islands. My love affair with Greece started many years ago when I was 19 and went to Spetse with a friend. I've visited over 40 different Greek islands since then and am hoping to discover a couple of new ones when we go island hopping next June. Don't think I'll be going to Symi next year but hopefully will return in 2014 as it's definitely my favourite island :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Hello!

Postby JeanW » 09 Dec 2012, 01:55

Hello Gail, i think our paths may have crossed - my most recent holiday was to the lovely resort of plakias, Crete. (second only to symi) The barman at CostaS Chrystoula told me about his client GAIL, who regularly goes to Symi. I return to Plakias in May, and back to Symi in September,
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby Gemma1 » 09 Dec 2012, 09:27

JeanW wrote:
Hello Gail, i think our paths may have crossed - my most recent holiday was to the lovely resort of plakias, Crete. (second only to symi) The barman at CostAS Chrystoula told
me about his client GAIL, who regularly goes to Symi. I return to Plakias in May, and back to Symi in September,

Hi Jean

Yes I've been to Plakias 3 times, twice with my partner and once on my own, and stayed at the Costas twice. I really like Plakias and there are some lovely walks - though I don't think it's as beautiful as Symi ;)

Angelo is a great barman and makes you very welcome, please say hi when you go back in May :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Hello!

Postby MacDuff » 10 Dec 2012, 08:16

Odd coincidence Gemma (Gail) My dog was MacDuff and I lost him last May at age 13 and 4 months. I love the ambience of Symi but whether we return will in part depend upon my wife (in January we celebrate our 2nd anniversary) can obtain a visa. The UK was good enough to issue one this year and we spent 23 there, but we are to try Canada (for the 5th time) for next summer. Those of us who live in the Western democracies don't realise how dificult it is for those who don't, to obtain visas to visit. I incidentally am more mature than young Kojak having spent 78 summers on the planet. A Canadian, achool at Bradford GS, University at Aberdeen and having lost my first wife 14 years ago, married to a Cuban - so home is in Cuba and our dog is Sissi :) I'm Neil and like the much maligned photographer Neil my first wife's name was Alison- another coincidence.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Hello!

Postby JuliaB » 10 Dec 2012, 11:47

I think husband Mike and I have now visited Symi enough times (we've lost count!) to be considered as 'regulars'. We're both retirees - Mike spent all his working life in IT at Kodak whilst I was in education, firstly teaching then in administration. We fell in love with Greece over 40 years ago and look on Symi as our second home. Just love the relaxing ambience and warm welcome. Have made many friends too and always look forward to crossing paths with like-minded people.
We live in Hertfordshire though I'm Lancastrian by birth and Mike hails from Twickenham.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby mr wotsin » 10 Dec 2012, 12:22

Mr wotsin "Willie and Margaret" but margaret has never contributed, just me having the odd word. Odd being the norm. Live in Burnopfield, about eight miles from Newcastle and two miles from Olga whom we have never met either at home or Symi and she knows and has met[probabely in Tanfield] Kojak as well.
Ex quantity surveyor. Now amateur bridge builder.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Hello!

Postby Sue L » 11 Dec 2012, 11:37

Hi my name is Sue married to John we first came to Symi with Laskarina holidays in 1995 we've been 9 times since we now bring Jane my mother who likes to sit in the sun and swim in warm water. We live in Stockport and keep threatening to go somewhere else but the pull of Symi has just been too great for the last 3 years. We visit Symi in late August early September we both still work and I use the bank holiday to make the most of my holidays. I'm a chemist and work in sales for a scientific instrument company we're small but we manufacture here in the UK. John my husband is a university lecturer
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Hello!

Postby Always Baking » 12 May 2013, 18:33

I am Carol Harkness (much prefer to called 'Pud'..and yes, I am always baking ! I live in Wirral, Cheshire, and I'm 55 (ugh!) and came to Symi last month, for the day. I'd been staying in Rhodes for an extremely long week, and just before I chucked the Greek towel in for good, I made the magical decision to visit Symi for the day. I was instantly enchanted! Hence, I'm back in (on?) Symi early Sept, and thought it would be a good idea, to familiarise myself with Symi a little before arriving on the 6th...Cant wait !
Always Baking
Visitor

Hello!

Postby MARTIN RIPLEY » 24 Jun 2013, 17:39

Martin and Lyndsay here. Been coming to Symi every year for 16 years and always in the sweltering heat of July. Lovely! Work in Leeds city centre but live in Haworth in Bronte Country as the Tourist Board likes to call it. Living in the Pennines we don't see much sun but the sheep are friendly.
MARTIN RIPLEY
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic