Why so quiet??

Chat about anything else

Why so quiet??

Postby SueO » 27 Jul 2015, 10:01

Hi all.

On countdown now for September holiday and checking the forum daily for any interesting posts .....so where is everybody?

I really miss the chit-chat and banter. Has everyone gone back into hibernation to escape the horrible UK weather? OK - I know you southerners are having it not too bad but anyone living north of Watford Gap will know what I mean ;)

Interesting fact gleaned from the stats posted at the bottom of the chat page....."Most users ever online was 23 on 26 Jul 2015, 20:12" That was yesterday so folks are looking, just not posting.

Sue
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Why so quiet??

Postby Allan » 28 Jul 2015, 09:14

Yes Sue, it is quiet around here at the moment. Perhaps you're right and people have hibernated, I wish I could! It's 9 degrees and pouring down here today while the chat page header gleefully reminds me it's 35 degrees on Symi. :shock:

To lift my mood a bit I've been looking through some of the pictures I took back in June (which feels a lifetime away now). Perhaps I should share a few to brighten things up during this cold UK summer.

Here's one to be going on with, I'll dig out some more over the next few days.

1.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sootyandsweep » 28 Jul 2015, 09:42

:D Great Pics Allan. Wont get my Greek fix until next year so lovely to look at your photos. I was also wondering why the forum was so quiet!! Freezing here in the n.e. of Scotland and all i have had off my allotment is potatoes, some beetroot a few peas and some beans. Just too cold and wet for things to grow properly. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i wish i had gone to Greece this year and spent, spent, 8-) spent euros to help people out. Will certainly take only euros next year.
sootyandsweep
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Dhani » 28 Jul 2015, 10:54

Was wondering the same thing myself. It cheers me to look at the webcam each day for a shot of sunshine, much needed given the current weather in Northumberland!
Dhani
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 29 Jul 2015, 09:00

Here's another Symi early evening snap:

2.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 29 Jul 2015, 13:45

You're right Sue.Very quiet.I posted today which was only my second this year I think.We get to Symi on the 9th September for three whole weeks and I can't wait. Maybe I'll post more as the excitement grows.
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby JeanW » 30 Jul 2015, 09:17

Hi All, Lovely pics Allan, Georgios and Fortinis boat in the foreground. Olympic prices have increased considerably for 2016 due to increase in VAT!! will be to expensive for a lot of us, especially solo travellers.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 30 Jul 2015, 10:46

I guess it's inevitable that prices will rise next year when the increases in VAT come into effect on the islands. I expect many Greek businesses will try hard to absorb the increases and keep prices down but they have been doing that for years now and I can't see how they can continue.

The increases will put some people off and that's the last thing the Greeks need right now. It's a sad state of affairs.

Never mind, here's a happier picture:

8.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mille » 30 Jul 2015, 15:40

Oh Allan, that's MY sun bed!

Bloody Hades, how I miss Symi!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SueO » 30 Jul 2015, 17:28

Thanks for the beautiful pics Allan. Particularly love the sunbeds and parasol - please keep them coming. I'm sure you're right about price increases. As you say, businesses have been absorbing increasing costs for some years now and I really can't see that they can keep doing it. It really is a sad situation for Symi and all the Greek islands which rely on tourism. We've bought our Euros already and, having budgeted for more than usual this year (a very good rate made that easier) we're determined to spend as much cash as we can whilst there. I do appreciate that we're lucky - not everyone can increase their budget and I guess that quite a few Symi regulars will have to "do without" next year. Blimey - I'm getting depressed now - I need a holiday!

Joe LT - you'll arrive the week before us. Three weeks - what bliss! We'll maybe see you around although wouldn't recognise you even if we've already met! :oops:

Mille - I know you're suffering from Symi deprivation. Just keep looking at Allan's pictures and imagine yourself warm :X

Best wishes to all.

Sue
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 31 Jul 2015, 10:12

We think alike Sue!
I bought more Euros than usual earlier in the year when the exchange rate hit a peak. Sadly, I seem to have spent most of those on Symi in June so I'm keeping an eye on the rate now and intend buying more if/when it's more favourable.

It's sad to hear that Olympic has increased prices for 2016 already, as far as I know the VAT increases on most of the islands don't come into effect until late this year and no one seems to know what the rates will be on each individual island. There has been talk of the rates being lower on some small islands, I don't know what came of that. It's understandable that Olympic would want to cover themselves for the potential increases but in reality it's only the accommodation part of the package that will go up in price so the difference to the overall cost of a holiday should be quite small. If the price increase is large enough to put people off as JeanW suggests then that's a really bad move on Olympic's part.

I will be there from September 6th so a few days before Joe and about 10 days before you arrive Sue.

And..... You like sunbed/parasol pictures do you? Here you go, different sunbeds, different parasols, same wonderful view.

9.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby John H » 31 Jul 2015, 14:26

We got back on Wednesday from two weeks booked through Olympic at very short notice and got a really good price. It was definitely more quiet than normal and there were very few Greek tourists there; they may have the money but they can't get hold of it to pay for things with the ATM restrictions so can't go on holiday. We stayed in Sevasti Studios again and as everyone else says, the owners are lovely, arriving with fresh doughnuts one morning and some wine and nuts another evening. If your knees are good enough for the climb up, it's a great place to stay. A few photos here if anyone is interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10435524@N07/sets/72157655661693119
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Mille » 31 Jul 2015, 18:58

Wonderful pictures JohnH. Thank you for sharing :D
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 01 Aug 2015, 09:10

Really enjoying all the lovely photos :)

I don't come on every day but have a quick look most days. Still go on the main site every day though as the first thing I click on when I open my laptop is the webcam :D

Sorry to hear about Olympic increasing their prices though I know one regular visitor has already booked for next May. I'm waiting for the holidays to be available online so I can browse at leisure but won't book anything for Symi until I've been in September. Might have a change next year anyway. I do love Symi but there are a lot of other islands and some are a lot easier to get to than Symi.

I will probably miss you and Julie Allan as don't fly out until the 23rd Septemer this year :-(
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby JeanW » 01 Aug 2015, 10:28

I also have booked for May 2016 - same 3 weeks, same hotel and same room as this year only difference is £210 more expensive. The reason I book so far in advance is
Olympic seem to have reduced the number of rooms they make available for solo travellers because they can get more money having rooms occupied by couples. I am of to Crete in September because I couldn,t
get a booking at my favourite hotel on Symi.

Thanks you for all the lovely photographs - really enjoying them.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 01 Aug 2015, 11:55

Yikes! JeanW, that is a huge jump in price. Lets hope this is a one-off that affects just that one hotel at the time you want to travel and isn't a general trend for 2016 bookings.

Judging by what I've read on other blogs and forums the lack of accommodation for single travellers isn't confined to Olympic, it seems to be a trend in the industry. So many package tour companies, particularly the ones geared towards awful all-inclusive holidays, want couples and families, not singles. It's very unfair.

Enjoy your trip to Crete Jean, I'm sure you'll love it and Symi will still be waiting for you next May.

Sorry we'll miss you in September Gemma1. Maybe next year.....

Time for another picture. Can't have Symi pictures without a cat can we?

4.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mille » 01 Aug 2015, 12:49

The only Danish travel agency going to Symi does not provide "single rooms" and the fee is stupidly high.

The main reason for me not going :evil:
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kojak » 01 Aug 2015, 17:56

Strange that Jean is finding a big increase in price. I've just booked the Anastasoula in May 2016 for much the same date as last year and paid about the same price.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 03 Aug 2015, 09:19

11.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sootyandsweep » 04 Aug 2015, 09:04

;) Like you Allan - I have been buying euros when I see a good rate. Cheque centre and Thomas Cook I find are the two up here that always give the best rate. Taking loadsamoney next year Love the pic of the cat in the bowl. I booked through Aegean for three weeks 2016 - can't wait as yet again it is windy, cold and wet here in the n.e. of Scotland and I fear for floods this winter. However I have a roof over my head, money in the bank with easy access and no fears (just now) of the economy collapsing. If I could afford it I would go in a heartbeat to Greece this year as well. The reporter in the Guardian article got it bang on - go on holiday and support the people - with cash. Pity the travel industry is jumping so quickly on the bandwagon to increase prices and don't they know yet that single travellers are now a huge number to be catered for - shoot in the foot comes to mind. :?
p.s. just seen it is 35 c in Symi - lucky if it is 5c here today - Arrrggghhh
sootyandsweep
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic