Vet Visit

Chat about anything else

Vet Visit

Postby Symi Animal Welfare » 06 Dec 2014, 18:11

Words can’t describe the last few hectic days on Symi when a visiting Australian vet neutered 74 cats. A simple ‘Thankyou’ to so many people just isn’t enough to express our gratitude to everyone involved during the last week! Volunteers collected cats from virtually every area of the island, some brought 1 or 2, others brought 9 or 10. Yvette Berkeley the vet & Tove ( whose house was used as a ‘surgery’ ) along with a team of volunteers, worked flat out from before 9am until late afternoon for 4 and a half days, the results are staggering – 51 females + 23 males were neutered!

Carol from the Nine Lives charity who chiefly-sponsored this programme was concerned that we wouldn’t find sufficient cats, especially after 115 were neutered on Kefalonia the previous week, however, she is so delighted with everyone’s hard work & the final tally that she has already suggested another visit at the same time next year!

Walking from the village, down the Kali Strata into Yialos earlier, I’m sure I saw several cats with newly-clipped ears wink as much as to say ‘thankyou’………..or maybe it was my ‘pleased as punch’ feeling after an exhausting week? This report is from all of the Symi Animal Welfare team, each have served such an important role in ensuring this visit would be such a success, your immense enthusiasm has been fantastic. The same goes for an increased number of volunteers, a few who have never been involved with vet-week before, so ‘well done’ each & every one of you. I had planned on announcing my retirement ( after nearly 10 years being secretary) as the programme finished, however, this amazing team-effort has been an inspiration & proved to all of us just much can be achieved if we pull out all the stops, so I’ll be staying on if that’s okay?

A final message to our wonderful supporters – your generous donations have again helped us look after the welfare of Symi’s cats……. ‘Yammas!’

Bless you all, Melanie, Tove, Suzan, Claudia & Hazel xxxxxx
Symi Animal Welfare
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Off Topic