kastellarizo

Chat about anything else

kastellarizo

Postby snoopy2 » 28 Oct 2014, 13:39

:?: Hi - I have searched the travel section of the forum and clicked on the ferry links to try and find out how often ferries travel from Rhodes to Kastellarizo but I ma having no luck. Can anyone out there help me? :?:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

kastellarizo

Postby Val » 28 Oct 2014, 14:06

Up till the end of October I would think the early Wednesday morning Express from Symi to Rhodes was then going on a round trip to Kastellorrizo and returning at 17.50 into Rhodes to do the return journey to Symi at 7. Well she certainly was up to the 8th October when we came back from Symi. This was advertised as a day trip to Kastellorizo.

When we were on Halki last year there were about two ferries a week who called at Kastellorizo as well as the express but earlier this year I think there were fewer. Well worth a visit Snoopy2 but tricky to stay just a couple of days. There are ferries from Turkey which seem to be more frequent.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

kastellarizo

Postby Val » 28 Oct 2014, 14:14

More news Snoopy2 Blue Star Ferries call at Rhodes and then Kastellorizo Monday and Friday am. at present of course this doesn't mean the timetable will be the same next year. Blue Star returns same day en route via Rhodes to Kos. This timetable is apparently until the end of March 2015. Still hopeful that the ferries may be more frequent in the summer? Good luck with your research. I found Mike Barrett's site too, very helpful.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

kastellarizo

Postby Andy W » 28 Oct 2014, 14:39

The two sailings on Blue Star per week are "lifeline" routes subsidised by the government and operate year round. The days of the week may vary though. Dodekanisos Seaways have a weekly sailing from mid-May round to mid-October, usually, but not always, on Wednesdays.
That's as good as it gets, except:
Kastellorizo has an airport! There are five domestic flights a week from Rhodes operated by Aegean/Olympic using smallish 30 seat planes. These flights are subsidised and you probably won't find timings for next summer yet, as the contract has yet to be awarded for then, but normally nobody else tenders...
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

kastellarizo

Postby snoopy2 » 28 Oct 2014, 15:34

8-) Val and Andy W thanks - great to know there is a ferry/boat and Andy the flight option is tempting. Val we are not anti social but the thought of two weeks on what is virtually a rock with loads of swimming and snorkelling has a charm to it! Apart from the blue lagoon and the tomb there appears to be little else to do apart form walk and swim, eat and sleep - perfect antidote to a very stressful job my daughter has and I don't take a lot of encouragement to chill. Thanks you both for the info. Think we might well just go to the island for our hol next year. Don't mind a bit of retail therapy in Rhodes if dates are tight for liaising between flights and accommodation on the island. 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

kastellarizo

Postby Val » 29 Oct 2014, 17:30

Sounds a good plan to me Snoopy2. I'm all in favour of this as an idea. Kastellorizo is my kind of place. Enjoy.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

kastellarizo

Postby STEVE » 30 Oct 2014, 18:09

We enjoyed our four nights on Kastellorizo a few years ago. Flew in (spectacular), sailed out on the Proteus (slow but a good view of the Island of Rho which has quite a story). Obviously, the Proteus is long gone now. For us, four or five days is enough. It's a bit of a Symi in miniature given the architectural style but our main memory was the amount of English spoken with an Australian accent. The Kastellorizo Society in Australia is very strong and many return for the Summer. It can be quite full as a result so I'd advise booking your accommodation ahead and in good time.

Glad we went and would certainly go again.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

kastellarizo

Postby snoopy2 » 31 Oct 2014, 12:41

Thanks Steve - finding out fast that early booking is necessary. Biggest problem is getting from the far flung n.e. of Scotland to Rhodes. Aberdeen airport is only 20 miles away but looks like we will have to spend two days travelling before we get to Kastellarizo!!! We spent two weeks on Halki - another miniature Symi and we never bored. When you get as long winters as we do it is a joy to swim and laze in the sun for two weeks. 8-) Having a think on a week on Symi then a week on Kastellarizo - two packs and two travels not really doing it yet.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic