Georgioupolis, Crete

Chat about anything else

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Oct 2014, 10:00

I wondered if any of you Symi lovers have been to Georgioupolis and if so what you thought of it? I have been to Crete a few times, including 3 visits to Plakias as I really like that area and the walking. Never been to Georgioupolis but quite like the sound of it and I can fly from LBA to Chania on a Saturday for about the same price as flying to Symi on the Wednesday night flight. Part of me really wants to book to go back to Symi next September but I do like to see other places and would probably go back to Symi the following year. Also going on a Saturday saves using as much annual leave. Looked at the LBA option to go to Symi next year and it was working out at over £700 for a week in September staying at Anastasia - ridiculous :?:

If anybody has been to Georgioupolis I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Oct 2014, 15:42

After spending the last hour looking at pictures and videos of Georgioupolis I've decided it looks too touristy for me to go on my own so I've booked to go back to Symi ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Jan » 11 Oct 2014, 18:08

I think you've made thr right decision.

We've stayed in Georgioupolis overnight/for a few nights a number of times over the last couple of decades and have seen it change from a sleepy village with a lovely tree-shaded central square to yet another regimented-sunbed beach resort almost unrecognisable from its former self. The square is now effectively a carpark surrounded by sports bars. We won't be returning even though it was a convenient place to break the bus journey from Heraklion to the far southwest of Crete.

Whereas we'll certainly be back to Symi!

Jan
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 12 Oct 2014, 09:29

Thanks very much for your reply Jan, you've confirmed what I thought. The sleepy village with a lovely tree-shaded central square is the sort of place I'm looking for but it's getting harder and harder to find unless you hire a car and go off the beaten track. I'm going island hopping with my partner for two weeks in June so can hopefully discover some new places then and then back to the familiar and much loved Symi in September ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Fina » 13 Oct 2014, 18:11

Island hopping sounds wonderful...Let us know if you find you sleepy village.

Fina
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 14 Oct 2014, 08:30

Island hopping is wonderful Fina, as you get to see a variety of different islands. Last time we went to Sikinos for the first time, which was definitely sleepy in June, plus Milos, Ios and Santorini where we flew in and out of. Next year we are planning on going back to the Little Cyclades as there are two islands we've never been to - Donoussa and Koufinissi. Really looking forward to discovering Donoussa :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby George » 14 Oct 2014, 09:38

It was 30 years ago I visited Sikinos. Have they built a jetty yet or do you still have to jump off the ferry's car ramp into a tender?
George
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 15 Oct 2014, 08:28

There's a jetty now George. We arrived on the Aqua Spirit and didn't need a tender. I imagine Sikinos must have been very quiet 30 years ago - though it's probably not changed that much ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby valr » 15 Oct 2014, 15:10

We first discovered Symi, Tilos and Nyssiros by going island hopping - and have never looked back! Tilos gets my vote every time for "sleepy", much as I love Symi :)
valr
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Fina » 19 Oct 2014, 13:05

They all sound wonderful, will start looking into them.
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby snoopy2 » 20 Oct 2014, 11:30

Stayed on Halki/Chalki last year for two weeks - its a mini Symi and a real chill place.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby plee » 21 Oct 2014, 01:55

I had a great time on Symi in September - felt perfectly at home by myself so I think I will do some Island hopping myself next year. I would like to go to Patmos and maybe a couple of other Islands near by. Does anyone know Patmos - is it nice? I went with a friend a few years ago to Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos. Like Gemma1 I like the small quiet ones best although snoopy2 Halki felt a little too laid back.
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 22 Oct 2014, 08:28

plee, I visited Patmos in 2001 as part of a solo island hopping trip and really liked it. Of course it's a while ago now so might have changed. I do remember the port being really busy as there were often cruise ships in (a bit like Symi with the cruise ships and day tripper boats ;) ) I stayed at the other side of the port village and remember following a man on his bike who took my suitcase whilst I jogged along behind lol. Where I stayed was a bit out of town but it was a lovely large studio with a view of the sea from what I can remember. There were some nice walks on Patmos, I went to Kompos and Lompi Bay and of course the Chora which is up a steep hill - I caught the bus up and walked back down. Also visited Kalymnos, Leros and Nissyros on that trip with a few days in Kos at the end as I flew in and out of Kos. Revisited Leros in 2006 but haven't been back to any of the other islands since. Would really like to go back to Patmos, Kalymnos and Nissyros one day - there are just so many islands to visit and I'm still discovering new ones.

Went to Halki in September 2013 as a change from Symi and really enjoyed it and met some lovely people but there wasn't really enough walking for me, though it's a nice place for a relaxing holiday and somewhere I'd consider revisiting in the future.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby snoopy2 » 22 Oct 2014, 10:45

8-) Plee - I love laid back me. Daughter and myself had accommodation half way up the village and walked over the island to go to a favourite beach almost every day. Came home 1/2 stone lighter from the long uphill walk to get to the beach and with all the snorkelling we did. And that was after eating the food from the little converted caravan that did lovely fresh Greek food every day and the ubiquitous ice cream in the afternoon.For us last year it ticked all the boxes but Greek islands new beckon 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby plee » 23 Oct 2014, 01:19

Thanks Gemma and Snoopy - I did love the main beach on Halki, and the taverna there as well, but not enough walking for me either. I have been looking at Patmos and thinking that the harbour looks a bit busy, so may well stay outside of the main bit. I may go a bit later on in September so the Autumn flowers are coming up and its not so hot. On my first day on Symi I went for a walk to nimborio, forgot to take water, got 3/4 way there and thought I was going to have a heart attack. Had to hitch a lift from a guy in a car who took me back to the harbour.... Goodness knows what he was thinking!
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Val » 23 Oct 2014, 22:48

How about Tilos? It's easy to reach, lots of walks and lovely people, plus the infamous bus! Have a look for
Tilos Bus on YouTube. Also I'd vote for Nissyros, which gets day trippers just like Symi but you can easily avoid them. Fabulous walks and the caldera of the volcano is stunning especially in the morning and evening. Really quiet except for July and August it's a lovely island. Like snoopy2 I'm at the stage where laid back really appeals and we also met some lovely people on Halki in September 13....0ne of them was Gemma...loved your Symi blog Gemma, wish we'd been there at the same time. There is so much on the web now about all the islands although it makes it easier to do your research it also makes it much harder to find the elusive one that has just the right balance of walking,atmosphere and liveliness. Makes searching interesting though.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby snoopy2 » 24 Oct 2014, 11:30

:D Val you are right on several counts - the internet does make it easier yet more difficult to find quiet spots and they are becoming fewer. Symi got us into Greek islands and I will be back but need to find a quiet island or village with communications to other spots as neither of us drive on holiday. Tried it once and gave myself such high blood pressure never again. I am getting bog-eyed looking at different sites to try and find a quieter place so if anyone has suggestions - Gemma - I count you as the forum expert- then please let me know. Halki is lovely but too small for 2/3 weeks. I honestly didn't care much for Tilos. Have had a look at out of the way places in Crete but need a car!!! AAARRRGGGHH HELP. :?:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Fina » 24 Oct 2014, 17:19

Snoopy2. We loved Alonisos, you can also get to Skopolos and Skiathos...But what I have been looking at is the Pelion. It is mainland but worth a look.

Fina
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Val » 24 Oct 2014, 23:09

Snoopy2 Have a look at Naxos out of season. Good bus service and lots of walking, plus you can easily hop on the ferry to get to the back islands, Donnoussa and Koufonisi which Gemma mentioned earlier, spend a few days there, then carry on to Amorgos, which is absolutely stunning. Plus I think you can fly into Naxos now, I may be wrong, when we went we had to go via Mykonos. Maybe even get to Folegandros from there which I've promised I'll get to before the end of this decade. Good Luck finding that special place.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby plee » 25 Oct 2014, 00:45

Thanks Val for recommendations. I have been to Tilos, didn't really warm to it but Naxos and the other Islands mentioned sound interesting. Has anyone been to Ithica? If so did you like it?
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic