Chat about anything else

Postby Anthony » 15 Aug 2006, 22:47

Like many others I guess, I was mystified by the word 'avatar' and decided to look it up in the dictionary. According to my Concise Oxford (admittedly 4th edition 1951) it is (from Hindu mythology)"descent of deity to earth in incarnate form". Perhaps we had better take a more respectful sttitude to the use of avatars for fear of incurring the wrath of those up above. :)

Anthony
Minister for Education
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Adriana » 17 Aug 2006, 07:56

I wonder if this has anything to do with the growth of the Indian IT industry and the fact they seem to be streaks ahead on computer animations...

:|
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Trailer » 17 Aug 2006, 15:22

Yes Anthony, it is a strange word. I also looked it up and mentioned it in an earlier posting. Indeed perhaps we should exercise care in the use of. Hope you are well. Are you off to Symi again this year?
Trailer
Visitor

Postby Anthony » 17 Aug 2006, 23:39

Apologies, Trailer, for unwittingly repeating something you'd already said. But as you may have noticed, as I've been in mourning for the old Chat Page (whose strengths for me outweighed its admitted weaknesses it's only in the last week that I've plucked up any enthusiasm for getting back on to the site and don't know what has been posted in the last couple of months.

Yes, I will be back on Symi next month - from 14 Sept to 5 Oct.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Anthony » 17 Aug 2006, 23:44

I seem to have bypassed the Moderator - Whoopee!!!! :D
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 18 Aug 2006, 00:13

Oh no you haven't Anthony!
Look at the line above your post where it should show the date and time that you posted the message. :)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Trailer » 18 Aug 2006, 13:10

Absolutely no apologies necessary Anthony. Yes I too mourn the passing of the original site. It's very sad and of course it's just not the same is it having everything monitored? No spontaneity. But there you go. Our world is full of destructive forces. You have only to look around you. Once Kojak left us, I guess the rest was inevitable. And there were those hell-bent on destroying the site with their own spiteful agenda. Ho-hum. Sometimes you don't realise what you had until you lose it, as they say.
Trailer
Visitor

Postby Anthony » 19 Aug 2006, 00:04

Allan, I thought the system used to be and still was that nothing that you submitted got on to the site until it had been passed by the moderator (usually on the following day). The message in question appeared immediately with the warning 'NOT MODERATED!!' (which is still there) rather than the date and time.

What have I misunderstood?
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 19 Aug 2006, 10:51

Hi Anthony, you're right that anything you post doesn't appear on the site for others to read until it has been moderated. However, you will be able to see it while the "NOT MODERATED" warning is there. I assume that's so you know it's 'got there' and to give you chance to edit or delete it.

Confusing isn't it? :evil:
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Off Topic