Once upon a time

Chat about anything else

Once upon a time

Postby Mille » 22 Aug 2006, 12:53

Once upon a time, the SV chatpage was a place where I could write almost anything without being afraid of being ridiculed. I could find some straight answers, learn from others mistakes, shower in wisdom from friends abroad.
I know time change, we all get older, some get more grumpier, some more stupid, some we forget.
I miss you guys. I miss your input and output!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Once upon a time

Postby benedetti » 22 Aug 2006, 13:54

I miss all the grumpy old posters too. This chatpage is too sterile . Nae rammies nae McSs. Never mind we'll see all our pals 13th September. If you are still there Jan we are having another wee party. I hope Mrs McS makes it this time. I think she had cat flu last year.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby SamanthaF » 22 Aug 2006, 13:55

I'm with you on that Mille. It would appear that the SV chat page is now just a sanitised, overly modferated site.

I'm sure that the owners are aware what is being discussed elsewhere, and I think that it is a valid issue that needs discussing or confronting.

Articles in the printed SV should be open for discussion on this board. And the authors of articles should be prepared to answer questions and face critism.

Will this post make it I wonder??
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Adriana » 22 Aug 2006, 14:53

This site is for the promotion of the island of Symi.

If you have any questions regarding articles you have read in the published newspaper, the Symi Visitor, you are welcome to write a letter to the editor of the Symi Visitor.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Mille » 22 Aug 2006, 15:00

I wasn't on about freedom of speech, moderation or anything in that matter.
I was simply making a statement.
I miss the old days. The days when ... *sighs deeply*.. no more of this. I'll keep chatting in private with a few...
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Once upon a time

Postby Adriana » 22 Aug 2006, 15:08

Hi Mille,

That wasn't addressed at you ...

It just popped up in the wrong order!

How's the lentil soup/oatmeal campaign coming on? ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 22 Aug 2006, 15:44

Hi my little Danish Delight, I'm still here, a bit battered and bruised but soldiering on :(
Mille, go to Symi Chat and then go to the thread "Old, old memories", maybe you'd like to make a contribution about the good ol' days :D
By the way, did you get the parcel?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Mille » 22 Aug 2006, 15:45

I have to play Lotto instead or hope some unknown very wealthy uncle will pass away and leave me all his money :D
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Once upon a time

Postby Dave » 29 Aug 2006, 21:34

I'll bet your "very wealthy Uncle" isn't too pleased about his future if your hands are on the steering wheel, my little Scandinavian love Goddess ! :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Sunshine » 30 Aug 2006, 03:12

[quote="benedetti"]

I miss all the grumpy old posters too. This chatpage is too sterile . [/quote]

...I seem to remember way back someone saying 'you get the chat page you deserve' (...at least we don't have 93 'where are yous' to fill it up...)
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby benedetti » 30 Aug 2006, 10:32

OOOOOOh It's get Benedetti week. At least Sunshine, unlike others you address your comments to me. Your photo lifts up my heart cheeky face. Are you Norman?
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Jan » 30 Aug 2006, 11:01

Benedetti - we'll be there next week. Right across the harbour from you, if you're staying above the Visitor office.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby benedetti » 30 Aug 2006, 11:16

So glad you two will still be there. As we have booked later we will miss a few of our usual crowd and also avoid those to whom we owe money and drinks.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Dave » 30 Aug 2006, 14:48

Owe money AND drinks, Sister Benedetti ? :o

You're starting to sound like Kojak .....er, and me ! :twisted:

It's to be hoped they don't know where your Greasy Spoon is - they'll be trying for bacon and egg banjoes all round on the house ! :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Sunshine » 30 Aug 2006, 20:13

...Me Norman? 'fraid not...I merely bask in the shadow of his socks...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Dave » 30 Aug 2006, 20:46

Upwind Sunshine, I trust ! :twisted:
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Anthony » 01 Sep 2006, 16:31

OK, the chatpage is still too sterile but it does seem to be slowly improving - not least as more of our old regulars come back. And let's not forget that, before Will and his co-conspirators waxed incandescent about a supposedly 'racist' posting from OG, we had been complaining how sterile the old Chat Page had become.

And if we have indeed got to the sorry state described by Mille at the start of this thread, we need to sit up and take notice. There's no excuse for treating fellow chatpage members like that! :(

Re SamanthaF's posts, I've kept away from the 'other' site as a matter of principle, so I don't know what issue she is referring to - though I am of course aware that its founders were for some reason rabidly anti-SV and no doubt that silly attitude continues. Presumably there's no reason why an article in the Symi Visitor should not lead to further discussion of the topic on this page - I am sure there have been many such threads on the old Chat Page in the past. But I do of course strongly agree with Adriana that the letters page of the SV is (at the editor's discretion) the only place where one should be looking to authors 'to answer questions and face criticism'.

I shall be arriving on Symi on 14 Sept and staying until 5 October - and look forward to meeting many of you there. :)
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Dave » 01 Sep 2006, 18:38

Anthony, may I point out two things - for your continued reputation and well being, of course :)
Firstly your "avatar" appears to have been hi-jacked by a cross between Dennis the Menace and Just William. :o
Secondly, you'll be inviting a visit from Blind Pugh with a present of The Black Spot to be pressed into your palm if you don't stop that loose talk. :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Anthony » 01 Sep 2006, 22:25

The avatar is me, honest - albeit almost 60 years ago :D . And I'm pleased to find that my contribution wasn't thrown out by the Moderator - I find that encouraging.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Once upon a time

Postby Allan » 01 Sep 2006, 22:37

.... and speaking of avatars ......

Dave, I have a suitable picture of you here somewhere that I could ask Mike to set as your avatar.

If you trust me that is :twisted:
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Off Topic