Black pudding chucking!

Chat about anything else

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Sapphire » 11 Sep 2006, 09:10

Noticed on the local news that the annual Black Pudding Chucking contest took place yesterday at Ramsbottom in Lancashire (waste of good black pudding it you ask me)!

However, it did make me wonder what other wierd and wonderful things people do to pass the time of day 8-) I mean, we have cheese rolling competitions ... and bog snorkelling. Surely it's not just in the UK that things like this happen :?

Is it ....?

Sapphy x
Sapphire
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Mille » 11 Sep 2006, 10:17

I pressume Black Pudding is what we would call "blodp�lse" here in Denmark??

And must I say YUCK!!! :(

I don't think we have anything like that in Denmark?!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Sapphire » 11 Sep 2006, 13:55

It is the same Mille but they are not eating it, just throwing it! I take it you don't have pickled herring throwing contests then in Denmark? LOL!

Sapphy x
Sapphire
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby bill » 11 Sep 2006, 16:16

Do they gammeldansk throwing contests? Had some, never again :o
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Mille » 11 Sep 2006, 17:28

No, we don't do throwing food or drinks in DK :(
Litter in Copenhagen is something else.....!

Gammel Dansk is only good when you're out fishing on �resund, I'm told.

:geek:
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Black pudding chucking!

Postby gillinoz » 12 Sep 2006, 14:30

I hope you dearly remember Dwile Flonking :D !!!!!

Or maybe (as in my case :? ) the dwile may have been too flonked! :o

And as you may all guess......I have no idea how to handle these emoticonie thingies :?:
gillinoz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 12 Sep 2006, 15:37

Hey Mille whats the name of that ghastly fish? I know its Swedish but it smells like, err, you know what I mean. :(
It should be opened outside and if a nasty neighbour drops some on your door mat, you may as well leave town. :idea:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Sunshine » 12 Sep 2006, 15:43

...And then there's wellie hoyin...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Mille » 12 Sep 2006, 16:00

OG, it's called SurStr�mning!
And should be illegal!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Sapphire » 12 Sep 2006, 17:35

Err Gill .... what's Dwile Flonking ????
Sapphire
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 13 Sep 2006, 07:42

Yep, thats the stuff, Mille. :(
I brought a can of it home for my step mum who is Dutch and they like things like that. Unfortunately the can sort of fermented in the travelling and was all bulging in the wrong places.
I though, "Oh, Oh" and took it way up the backyard and dug a fairly deep hole. I put the can in and thought I'd better pierce it as it may explode. The corner of the shovel duly pierced and BOY, you ought to have smelled the gas. The dog who was by my side went howling off under the house and i gagged as i filled in the foul stuff.
I had to have a shower and clean my teeth before i could have a soothing beer. :(
You're right, it should be proclaimed an illegal substance.
I wonder what would have happened if it had exploded in the customs hall? 8-)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Richard » 13 Sep 2006, 19:46

Sapphire,
Dwile flonking is approximately equal to wellie hoyin. Is that better? It's a very popular sport in the Bristol area.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 14 Sep 2006, 00:03

Someone once recounted dwile flonking to me thus:
There are two teams, comprising as many players as will, plus a ceilidh band and an umpire. Equipment needed comprises a bucket of stale beer, a barrel of real ale, tapped, spiled and ready to serve with as many pint mugs as there are players, a pole about the size of a broom handle (the flonker) and an old tea towel-sized piece of cotton cloth (the dwile). A coin is tossed to determine which side goes in (as in cricket) and the other team go out onto the playing pitch (preferably grass) and form a circle. A member of the other team (the dwile flonker) - usually the best shot in the team, goes out into the middle of this circle, armed with the flonker, on the end of which is the dwile, which has been soaked in the bucket of stale beer. The umpire then blindfolds the dwile flonker and, on a given command, the ceilidh band strikes up a merry tune and the fielding team all dance clockwise in a circle around the dwile flonker, who turns anticlockwise on the spot, holding his flonker erect. At any point the music can stop; when it does, the dwile flonker used the flonker to hurl the dwile with the intention of catching one of the fielders with it. The fielders can of course run away if they want. A hit fielder is an out fielder, and has to retire to the side of the playing field, ideally for ale sustenance. This process is repeated until all the fielders are out, then the out side comes in and the in side goes out. Should a dwile flonker fail to hit a fielder with the dwile on three successive occasions, he has to down a pint of ale, whilst the fielders shout "pot, pot, pot...". Scoring is straightforward but can become arbitrary and confused as the contest wears on. Clothing can be anything, but traditional English Morris attire is best suited for the spectacle and the jingly bells. Any questions? :geek:
Sheila and Andrew

Black pudding chucking!

Postby Oor Willie » 14 Sep 2006, 01:19

hy :?: :?: :?:
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Off Topic