Times are tight - need advice

Chat about anything else

Postby Dave » 07 Sep 2006, 21:16

For one reason and another I will have restricted funds in the near future and need experience to speak to me.

Silver wedding next year - Gail always wanted a few days in Athens and I have a mind to surprise her whilst I can, Any advice re. accommodation within easy reach of Athens centre for three/four/five days in the last half of March next year. It's okay, she can't read this - she doesn't know the log-on code! 8-)

Easy Jet do reasonable fares from Luton, I understand !
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Sunshine » 08 Sep 2006, 04:19

...Err, she can still read it Dave...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Sep 2006, 04:37

Hello Mate :oops: Depends how far you want to push the AMEX. The George V is the best, right on Syntagma but that would cost an arm and a leg and maybe a torso as well.
Next door is the Marriot, that would probably be just an arm.
The Astir Palace. Conventient location.
The Hilton is away from the centre, in Illisia, so you are away from the traffic and persistant smog, although March should be OK.
Try the internet, you'll have a huge choice at your fingertips :geek:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Adriana » 08 Sep 2006, 13:26

The only time I've spent the night in Athens was when we were penniless backpackers. Nicholas found this place off Syntagma Square which fitted the budget. The concierge (if that's how you spell it) wore fishnet tights and purple lipstick :twisted:

And they needed advance notice to turn on the hot water for showers... :evil: which were at the end of a long dark corridor with creaky floorboards and cracked linoleum.

Ah the things one puts up with when one is young! :geek:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kieran » 08 Sep 2006, 13:44

I normally stay in the Adams Hotel smack bang in the middle of Plaka. Cheap but basic. You could also try the Attalos (great views from the roofbar) on Athinas, but if you miss your flight they generally charge you a night and then give away your room to someone else (happened to me and I don't stay there anymore). Anywhere nice in Athens is going to cost a bit. The Hotel Plaka could be a happy medium.

For that extra special occasion it's gotta be the Grande Bretagne.
Kieran
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 09 Sep 2006, 12:20

The Hotel Plaka...Hmmmmm. Stayed there about five years ago. Not a bad room and good situation BUT it had been very recently refurbished and, although open for business, the electrical work had not been completed. We discovered this when, on returning from the rooftop terrace after taking photos of the fantastic view, we found the (steep and twisting) marble stairs in total darkness.

Yes, you've guessed it. Whilst groping for a non existent hand rail I slipped and broke my ankle in several places :o Spent a night in Athens A and E (an experience in itself!) and had to wait 48 hours with leg in plaster before our insurers could fly us back to the UK. A couple of weeks in hospital and two operations later I eventually came home. I still have a lot of steelwork in that leg to remember it by!! :(

Thankfully Hubby took lots of photos of dangling wires lacking any sort of light attached and the non existent handrail so, although the hotel denied all, I did, after 3 years of legal battle obtain compensation :) Must have cost my insurers a bomb though.

I'm sure the hotel is now up to standard and we were very happy with it BEFORE the accident! I guess the real lesson is..make sure you have really good insurance when you travel.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kieran » 09 Sep 2006, 23:44

uch :o
Kieran
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Sunshine » 09 Sep 2006, 23:57

...Doesn't Mike start his holiday from Athens? he should be able to offer some advice...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby symivisitor » 10 Sep 2006, 12:07

[img]http://www.symivisitor.com/museumhotelq.[/img]

We've stayed at the Museum Hotel, part of the Best Western chain for the last few visits. It overlooks the National Archeological Museum (see photo taken from balcony:the museum is the large building on right) and is handily placed; 10 minutes walk to Syntagma Square. I think we paid about 50 Euros a night; book online and early and you'll get a good deal. Great breakfast included in price, friendly staff. :)
symivisitor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby symivisitor » 10 Sep 2006, 12:11

Just checked online and prices are quoted from "49 dollars"! :o
symivisitor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Dave » 24 Sep 2006, 20:40

Hi Sunshine .... silly I may be, stupid I'm not. She's a bigger techophobe than me and doesn't access any other computers - and the log-on code she is unaware of is the computer start up one ! :twisted:

Thanks for your tips folks - it'll impress my bank manager no end when I try that, plus a couple of holidays proper in Greece next year. That's why funds will be tight next year - looks like a bag of Bertie Bassett's finest all round for the family Christmas presents next year !

Oh dear ! How sad ! Never mind ! :P
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kon » 25 Sep 2006, 08:57

Hi Dave i stayed at the Hotel Electra Palace which is in the plaka and its 5 star for 195 eu a night,and you can lounge on the roof pool and watch the pathenon at night while drinking some cocktails.[ :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Off Topic