Sorry - I've been away - again

Chat about anything else

Postby Dave » 05 Nov 2006, 17:34

Hello everyone - I hope you are all okay.
Sorry for my absence - I've been covering for a colleague who had a heart attack and it's been very long hours and the illness makes me a tadge tired now and then so I relax and commit G.B.H. on the odd glass of decent red (and the even numbered ones too
I must spend some time checking the threads to catch up.
Kojak threw a drink over Will ? Not the man I thought I knew - Kojak would never waste a drink !
Was it still in the tin when it connected ? Ah well, you can live in hope ! :geek:

If it's any consolation he was reputed to have thrown a couple of drinks over my mother one time under Cleethorpes pier - he didn't mean to. I think the eight pints and the curry got to him when he realised just what he'd kissed goodnight ! :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Hermes » 06 Nov 2006, 02:27

Ha ha, how funny you are Dave! Many, including Will, made statements of good wishes towards you during your own recent health problem. You, in your turn, hope that rather than the drunken Norman just throwing drink on Will, he had instead thrown the whole can at him. Which level of head injury for Will to receive would have made chortle the most, I wonder?
Hermes
Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 06 Nov 2006, 07:40

I thought he took her home as he could not bear to kiss her goodnight. :o

Nice to see you back, Matey. :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Adriana » 06 Nov 2006, 08:05

Welcome back, Dave. :D :D :D :D :D

We've missed you.

It's definitely red wine weather here on Symi. According to the latest Athens News there is some ingredient found in grapes, and red wine, that promotes longevity so we could say we are devoting our lives to scientific research...! :oops: (Okay, they've only tested it on rats so far :twisted: )
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Richard » 06 Nov 2006, 12:52

Wasn't that the article that said the equivalent amount in humans would be c. 300 bottles a day? I would have to double my usual ration.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Adriana » 06 Nov 2006, 13:00

If you take it in the form of Mavrodaphne which is 15% you can probably get away with 200 bottles, Richard :twisted:

But I am not sure if it is available in organic/unsulphated form.

:oops:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 06 Nov 2006, 18:24

Welcome back Dave you have been missed!

Sorry to hear you've had bother maintaining the work/life balance thing but as long as you look after the wine/life balance you'll get through! :geek:

And Adriana, showing my ignorance, I had to look up Mavrodaphne: "one of the few wines that can accompany chocolate-based desserts" it said.

Two vices in one go - can't be bad! 8-)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Graeme » 06 Nov 2006, 18:36

[quote="Dave"]

Kojak threw a drink over Will ? Not the man I thought I knew - Kojak would never waste a drink !
Was it still in the tin when it connected ? Ah well, you can live in hope ! :geek:
:D
[/quote]

Sadly it seems that drunken hooliganism is an everyday fact of life here in the UK, but it saddens me greatly to note we are now exporting it into Symi.

It further saddens me to see a perpetrator of such acts coming on to this, and other Symi related sites, glorying in his actions.

Now we have a warm welcome for a poster who would have hoped for a greater level of violence!

Goodness only knows what impression a potential visitor to Symi browsing this site would form.

After all the crocodile tears shed here about the damage persons outwith your cosy little clique were supposedly doing to Symi's reputation.

Shame on you.

Cue moderator ...
Graeme
Visitor

Postby Anthony » 06 Nov 2006, 22:50

[quote="Adriana"]
According to the latest Athens News there is some ingredient found in grapes, and red wine, that promotes longevity so we could say we are devoting our lives to scientific research

[/quote]

That's always been my excuse, anyway! :| :|
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Dave » 08 Nov 2006, 19:29

Oops ..... upset Hermes and Graeme - sorry you guys. You can take it as mis-placed humour in bad taste.
On the other hand, Hermes, you can take it as humour based on the nastiness previously demonstrated some weeks ago when someone (?) really wished another person dead. -, isn't it ?
I've been close to both - I'll take the free drink and the minor head injury rather than the other option ! :geek:
Of course, if you aren't Will, Hermes my old chap, then refer back to him - he'll fill you in.
Seemed a reasonable guy when we swapped a couple of e-mails, but there you go - you never can tell about a person until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Crap analogy, but you get the idea, I'm sure !
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby alan c. » 08 Nov 2006, 20:37

Chaeers Dave!
I've never met you or Will (or Kojak) but i know who I'd rather share a few beers with. The fanatical intolerance of intolerance (or is is it just priggish posturing and self-appointed, self-inflated importance) will always get the trolls in the end.
Alan C.
alan c.
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Dave » 08 Nov 2006, 21:56

Not up to speed on computer speak - what's a troll ?
Used to be a hairy nasty thing that wanted to eat up the poor creatures walking over the bridge when I listened to Uncle Mac on a Saturday morning - mind you, I thought Sparky"s Magic Piano was real too until I saw Rolf Harris advertising a Stylophone !
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Richard » 08 Nov 2006, 22:17

The thought of more than one glass of Mavrodaphne in a year is horrible. It's so sweet that I wouldn't taste the chocolate anyway. I have been reliably informed that there are vineyards that make a non-red wine. I have managed to steer clear of this although I believe that Samos Nectar puts Chateau Yquem in the shade. I suppose that they have been making it for much longer than these Gallic upstarts.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Ange » 08 Nov 2006, 23:33

Glad you're back, Dave.

I've missed your posts and always enjoy reading them.

I love the wine, and the Samos wines are very nice too, but I agree just a couple of glasses is enough, they are dessert wines really.

Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Dave » 09 Nov 2006, 20:41

A dessert wine, Ange? Let me tell you, Gail's not a drinker so I "had" to do the whole bottle. If you do that, you definitely get "your just desserts" !!!! :(

But I agree, it's rich enough to drink with a coffee at the same time to clean the palate - but delicious as 1 glass.
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic