Mavrodaphne Wine (Adriana)

Chat about anything else

Postby Ange » 08 Nov 2006, 22:23

Hi,

I've just read Dave's thread and Adriana has mentioned the red wine, Mavrodaphne. I've been buying a wine called this from a supermarket. Its in the 'Europe' section and is from Greece.

Is it the same one? Its called Mavrodaphne of Patras and its lovely! I'm very fond of the 'Nama' wines and 'Vin Santo' and this is a very affordable subsitute. I've not seen it in Symi though, we usually buy the Samos Nectar in Symi.

Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Dave » 08 Nov 2006, 23:20

I tried a bottle the other weekend - very rich, quite sweet. First glass was more"ish - second was enough.
I enjoyed the richness, sweetness and the "fruit" - but almost a fortified wine in taste ...... and a high alcohol % compared to a normal "quaffing" red.
I'll be back for another bottle though. Except that I think it's one of those to sample whilst sat in the garden on a warm sunny day - with a cross sampling of the mezedes from the Greek stall in Doncaster market. Lovely ! :)
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 08 Nov 2006, 23:25

[quote="Dave"]

Doncaster market. Lovely ! :)
[/quote]No it isn't! :o
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Adriana » 09 Nov 2006, 07:47

Hi Ange, yes, that's the stuff. Good for keeping the cold out.

Our usual red is very reliable Paros table wine from Moriatis winery which for some reason only Kampos supermarket in Chorio ever stocks. It seems to be sulphur-free, although it doesn't say anything on the label. :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Dave » 11 Nov 2006, 23:04

Sulphur free ? But you need a headache after drinking to excess - it's natures way of telling you to "never do it again" !
And anyway, it's the sulphur smell that allows you to tell your beloved that "It was the Devil who made me do it " :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 12 Nov 2006, 03:35

Sulphur in plonk? You must be joking. :?:
Oh well, living and drinking in one of the worlds top wine producing areas does spoil you.. 8-)
There is a grape glut and the wine bargains are unbeleivable, you can pick up a top bottle of red for around $10-15. There is a lot of stocking up going on at the moment.
Tomorrow I'll be down to my local bottle shop to take up their offer of 6 bottles for $70. :( Think I'll take the whites with summer on the way...or maybe 6 of each. :( :(
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Adriana » 13 Nov 2006, 10:17

Sulphur is used as a fungicidal spray in the vineyards and also increases the shelf-life of wine. The trouble is that a lot of people are allergic to it. If you get a migraine after a glass of red wine :( , the chances are it is the sulphur that is doing it and if you go for an unsulphured red you'll be fine. :oops:

Organic wines have to be sulphur-free and an increasing number of wineries are also marking on the label if their wines contain sulphur or not.

Hang around the Cape wine farms, you pick up a few things! :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Anthony » 13 Nov 2006, 22:31

[quote="Ozzie Geoff"]

There is a grape glut and the wine bargains are unbeleivable, you can pick up a top bottle of red for around $10-15.
[/quote]
Yes, the supermarkets in the UK are offering some amazing discounts on Australian wines, too. Plenty at 25% off, and I even saw one recently advertised at half price. :) The Australian wine producers' loss is our gain!
:geek: :geek:
(sorry about the beer glasses - we needed a smiley with wine glasses for this one. :)
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Richard » 14 Nov 2006, 00:41

Nothing wrong with drinking wine from pint glasses.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby robinbristol » 15 Nov 2006, 20:06

Does that mean you need some wine glasses for Christmas Richard?
robinbristol
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Dave » 15 Nov 2006, 23:33

What he needs are some wine glasses similar to the ones used in "Beluga" in Bawtry ..... a pint would just about be right to take it to the brim ! And a good wine list too ! :geek:

If Gail ever finds out just exactly what I mean when I say that " I just popped into "Beluga" for a couple of glasses of wine", it'll mean a blindfold and a last cigarette at dawn ! :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Richard » 15 Nov 2006, 23:52

Congratulations on your second star, Dave. Why are yours silver and Allan's gold? Some sort of discrimination?
No, Robin, that's the last time you get a pint of my '77 Musar.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Dave » 16 Nov 2006, 00:33

I don't think that mine are silver - it's just a warning from the Moderator Assassination Team that I've tarnished them now and again !
A small penalty to pay for putting a large portion of toecap to the occasional set of ribs ! :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic