Winter reading

Chat about anything else

Winter reading

Postby OuVrou » 21 Nov 2006, 14:17

Hi, you may be interested in the recommendations posted on the Halki Visitor site regarding books. "Knowledge of Angels" by Jill Paton Walsh is definitely worth a read and one, I intend to look at during the Christmas period is a George Eliot classic "Daniel Deronda". Another truly captivating read is "The Sparrow" (can't remember the author's name) and it's sequel "Children of God".

As you may have guessed (or not) I am a bookworm so any chat about books draws me like a moth to flame.

Happy reading.
OuVrou
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Winter reading

Postby Adriana » 22 Nov 2006, 12:23

Aangename Kennis, Ouvrou!
Just finished David Guterson's 'Our Lady in the Forest'. He paints such clear pictures with words, I really enjoy his writing.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Winter reading

Postby D and E » 22 Nov 2006, 12:33

We left a number of good books in Pat and Ali's library as we usually do but presume this will be locked up just now but if you can get your hands on the following Adriana, you will not be disappointed :-

The Secret River by Kate Grenville
44 Scotland Street and Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith (read in this order)
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Speckled People by Hugo Hamilton

Stay warm

;)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Winter reading

Postby OuVrou » 22 Nov 2006, 18:28

Dankie, Adriana. I wondered whether the reference to Durban Municipal Library may mean a shared SA past? My family have lived on the South Coast (south of St Mike's) since the middle 1930's and many remain there although in common with families around the Globe, we are now a "diaspora".

I endorse D and E's recommendation of "The Shadow of the Wind" it will captivate you. I have not read any of the others but will try and find them at our wonderful Oxfam bookshop. Will also look for "The Virgin in the Forest".

Oh another book I think you will find engrossing is "The Map of Love" by Ahdaf Soueif - truly a wonderful novel to read in front of an open fire.

Treated myself today at an SA shop to some droerwors, beskuit and even a bottle of Tassies for the cold. Lekker!

Mooi bly.
OuVrou
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Winter reading

Postby Richard » 22 Nov 2006, 19:52

"The Sparrow" and "Children of God" were written by Mary Doria Russell. Both on Amazon if you are starting your Christmas shopping. Bit early for me, I usually start on about 23rd December.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Winter reading

Postby merlin » 23 Nov 2006, 23:17

Adriane, many thanks. Bus Stop Symi was also published in usa as Interval on Symi.
merlin
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Winter reading

Postby Adriana » 24 Nov 2006, 07:51

I've read 'The Shadow of the Wind' and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pat's is indeed closed up now for the winter. It is only the places that the locals frequent that stay open at this time of the year.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Previous

Return to Off Topic