Christmas feast.....

Chat about anything else

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kon » 07 Dec 2006, 04:41

Well this year year i will take the chefs hat and have Christmas lunch at our place.I Will have a 5 kg Giro for main meat and some lamb cutlets for the kids also some seafood ,trying to get my hands on some crabs this year ,the octupus ,prawns and Muscles which i used Wendys recipe last year and got strict instructions to use again because it was a big hit.For dessert i will do something different this year maybe something cool for the hot weather predicted.So if you have some ideas on a dessert that is cool and loved by adults and kids i would love to hear your recipe .So what feast are the other chefs got for their Christmas lunch/dinners.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby hilarias » 07 Dec 2006, 10:15

Yiasou Kon
I always enjoy reading your stories. Christmas is at our place this year Sydney, we usually rotate between the family. 30 Brothers, Sisters,nieces,nephews and parents. Everyone brings a plate usually salads with mother-in-law bringing the turkey. Fruit platter or fruit skewers is a great dessert for hot days and if you can get a chocolate fountain to dip your fruit into even better.
Yeeros at yours sounds great. Have a good one
Chrisanthy 8-)
hilarias
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 07 Dec 2006, 14:46

Don't mention chocolate fountains to me, Hilarias. When I was in Singapore a few years back we went to a buffet at the Sheraton which happened to have a very large chocolate fountain. The kids were dipping their arms into it and licking the goo off. Quite funny now thinking back. Wish I had the nerve to do it. :twisted:
The buffet was superb, ran from 11am to 3pm with free Moet, which ran like water plus any other drink you fancied. Cost $120s$, which for our pommie (I can use that term, its official so long as I don't put an adjective on the end! :twisted: ) mates thats about 48 quid and beleive me, its worth every penny. Doubt if you'd get a glass of Spumante for that in the UK!!
Try this for a summer salad. Cubed watermelon with thinly sliced white onion. :D
See if you can get some live crays, around 500-600gr. Stick them in the freezer for about 20 mins so they are asleep and keep the PC brigade happy. Bring a tub of salted water to the boil, stick the crays in and bring it back to a gentle boil and boil for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the crays in the water until it is comfortable to take them out with your fingers, about an hour....then do what you like with them. :geek:
Me? Family with the trimmings...bet it'll be about 40 in the water bag!! :(
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kojak » 07 Dec 2006, 14:51

All this talk of tasty food at Christmas - BUT WHERE ARE THE SPROUTS? :o They should be boiling as we speak if they are to be ready in time for Christmas! :)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Dec 2006, 03:38

Don't fret, Kojak, the sprouts are boiling away,its just that
their stink :( has driven the folks from their homes so are unable to comment. :o
It's OK for you...you get some poor soul to cook 'em for you. :geek:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kon » 08 Dec 2006, 03:45

Hi Chrisanthy thanks for your reply ,i like the fondou theme especially the chocolate :) ,hope you and tour family have a great Christmas party too.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kon » 08 Dec 2006, 03:51

Kojak , mate what are SPROUTS??? because i'm painting a funny picture here. :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Dec 2006, 07:47

Hey Kon, Don't you go vegie shopping? Sprouts are Brussel Sprouts, those things that look like mini cabbages. They smell like, err, "a boozers wind" while cooking. :(
They are a winter dish and go well with roast beef and are an acquired taste.
To cut down the smell you can saute them slowly in butter and garlic, plenty of both. :geek:

Our English friends tend to boil them almost to disintergration. :(
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Adriana » 08 Dec 2006, 09:10

Somewhere I have a recipe for an ice cream Christmas pudding, a bit like an Italian cassata. If I can find it, I'll put it up for our Antipodean readers... :P

Seem to remember it was quite boozy! ;) But you can't really set it alight unless you put the brandy in little egg shells, like on a baked Alaska.

:twisted:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kon » 08 Dec 2006, 12:05

Brussel sprouts ts ts ts better of eating some old oak tree branches, ;) how this for a dessert you cut up half a dozen mangos cut them in small peices you whip up some cream with some sugar,then you get those little italian buscuits that are thinly cut and baked dry and they have almonds in them ,you crush the buscuits, ok you also need some cool custard cream from a carton,so you get your martini or cocktail glass you put about 2 table spoons of mango first then a layer of cream to cover the mango then you put a layer of the crushed buscuits then pour some custard cream on top and finish of with a spare buscuit on the side and keep cool or too boring.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kojak » 08 Dec 2006, 15:40

Haven't got any mangos - will it work with sprouts? :twisted:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Allan » 08 Dec 2006, 16:25

No need to experiment Kojak, it's all been done. On the Isle of Man of all places!
A company there has developed a whole Christmas dinner made of ice cream:-
"Slices of turkey ice cream, large scoops of mash potato flavour, sprout flavour made to look like the vegetable, cranberry sorbet and sage and onion stuffing flavour with chocolate sauce used as a substitute for gravy, with Christmas pudding ice cream as a sweet."

"It's an acquired taste, the sprout one, but it's done with proper vegetable stock and the sprouts have been peeled, boiled and cut up, with a touch of colouring."

Fair makes your mouth water doesn't it?
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Christmas feast.....

Postby Richard » 08 Dec 2006, 17:59

Brings some sort of liquid into my mouth but it isn't water. Chocolate sauce on sprouts? Crikey.
What's wrong with sprouts, anyway? I prefer them to ice cream, apart from the Guinness flavour ice cream, of course.
I've never heard of anyone cutting down a smell by adding lots of garlic. Shows imagination and a lot of optimism.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kojak » 08 Dec 2006, 18:16

Despite all the jokes, I like sprouts! :) Rocking along to FM 107.9 :D .... unfortunately it's Radio Southport!!! :(
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Richard » 08 Dec 2006, 21:18

I'm having a lot of trouble connecting to Symi Radio. I get the Star Radio home page up on 107.9 but it goes severely wrong after that (including a malware popup). Am I looking in the wrong place? I know that the English language programme is on from 18:00 to 20:00 on Fridays so I have now missed it.
I certainly don't wish to listen to Radio Southport instead. It doesn't have the same cachet somehow, much as I like the place. Any ideas? The idea of Kojak rocking is too scary.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kojak » 08 Dec 2006, 23:19

Hah! If you think that's scary - I still have my old Brutus flared jeans - and the matching denim jacket.. :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 09 Dec 2006, 01:56

I find the aroma (note; not "smell") of sizzling garlic
mouth-watering, Richard. :) We all have our individual tastes.
My 84 yo Italian neighbour puts his good health down to plenty of garlic, olive oil, red wine and grappa. Substitute the grappa for ouzo
and bingo you have the Greek elixer. :geek:

Kon, Ice cream! Pop down to Coles and see if you can see "Weis" ice cream in the freezer. Mate, its the bloody bees knees. Try the mango and macadamia!! :mrgreen:

Err, I'm rocking along to a golden oldie station Curtin 101FM, they're playing Carol King... :)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby jenine » 11 Dec 2006, 20:20

I will be going totally traditional:
fresh Symiot turkey [hopefully with feathers and beak removed!]
homemade stuffing [Wendy has given me a fab recipe]
parsnips [have a huge supply from fantastic vistiors in the summer]
copious amounts of roast spuds
english chipolatas from our gem of a deli in Rodos
cranberry sauce from our other wonderful deli in Mandraki
and brussel sproats [frozen from Hatzipetros supermarket]

topped off with a lot of baileys and the top tier of our wedding cake posing as a christmas cake

can't wait!! :geek:
jenine
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Christmas feast.....

Postby Allan » 11 Dec 2006, 21:48

Merry Christman Jenine! :)

Have a fab time and try not to embarrass yourself too much. Remember, you're a married woman now! :P

Cheers

Allan and Julie ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Christmas feast.....

Postby Kojak » 11 Dec 2006, 22:38

Hope all goes well Jenine - I'm pleased that someone else is having sprouts :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next